cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

No more 10 year permits?

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
The owner of a caravan company has told me that the word is the 10 year permit is going to be scrapped soon and only 180 day ones issued. If this is correct it could be a big problem for those wishing to leave rigs in Mexico long term.

It would not surprise me Banjercito is always finding ways to prevent you from driving in Mexico it seems.
20 REPLIES 20

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
almcc wrote:
qtla9111 wrote:
MexicoWanderer, you haven't traveled much to the U.S. as a Mexican now have you. It's the same thing but in a different language.

Well Chris, I respectfully disagree!

As Canadians we travel almost seamlessly in and out of the US each year, and the same has happened when we return from Mexico into the US. Yes, we have gone through secondary inspections on occasion and have have had foodstuffs taken because of the "flavour of the month" foodstuffs issues. We have also been asked for passports at some border patrol check stops within the US

Going into Mexico in an RV is different entirely, an absolute pain with the TIP bureaucracy and associated issues. Even getting into China on business is easier than crossing into Mexico in an RV!

However we loved the places we saw and the friendly and honest people we met there. Unfortunately the bureaucracy doesn't seem to want us RVers there!

+++++ I just realized I made a mistake on quoting. The post wasn't in response to Brian but to Al. Sorry about that. +++++

Brian, my post may have been misunderstood. I am referring to Mexicans with visas who wish to visit in the U.S. The lines are long, the interrogations humiliating, amount of paperwork required to prove solvency, the number of travelers who may have an over 80 year old grandmother who doesn't have a phone bill and they make the whole family turn back for fear grandma may get try to job.

Not about Americans as they have no idea what people have to go through to visit a border city much less beyond for a vacation and to spend money as a tourist or a shopper.

That doesn't include what we go through as rvers with Mexican plates.

I think it's tit for tat.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

almcc
Explorer
Explorer
qtla9111 wrote:
MexicoWanderer, you haven't traveled much to the U.S. as a Mexican now have you. It's the same thing but in a different language.

Well Chris, I respectfully disagree!

As Canadians we travel almost seamlessly in and out of the US each year, and the same has happened when we return from Mexico into the US. Yes, we have gone through secondary inspections on occasion and have have had foodstuffs taken because of the "flavour of the month" foodstuffs issues. We have also been asked for passports at some border patrol check stops within the US

Going into Mexico in an RV is different entirely, an absolute pain with the TIP bureaucracy and associated issues. Even getting into China on business is easier than crossing into Mexico in an RV!

However we loved the places we saw and the friendly and honest people we met there. Unfortunately the bureaucracy doesn't seem to want us RVers there!

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
If you desire explicit uniform regulations the country of Mexico is not the place to find them. It is "Interpretative Enforcement" at best. Example: ADUANA. Try and find an explicit declaration that implies that a stolen vehicle not capable of being returned for TIP cancellation means: PERMANENT PROHIBITION OF HOLDER OF THE PARTICULAR PASSPORT NUMBER FROM OBTAINING ANOTHER TIP. No vehicle. No Hologram. No cancellation. No subsequent TIP. Five pounds of official paperwork from local, state and federal authorities proving the vehicle was stolen is utterly worthless. Try and find THAT information in las reglas de Aduana.

mikedurant
Explorer
Explorer
I would be agree with qtla9111 post.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
So could a 15-amp circuit breaker ๐Ÿ™‚

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Electricity included in those $6000 a year "could" explain the price. Though I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't included, in this location.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I am paying 202 dollars rent monthly for a turn key 600 sq ft. house, with weekly housekeeper service. Gas, electric, and water total around 16 dollars a month. Way under eight dollars a day. But an RV will use a lot more kWh. Big RV's in warm climates can consume 500 USD per month in power.

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Briansue, I haven't been to Cancun parks. In Baja people don't get TIP on RV when going in. Aduana doesn't ask, gringos don't volunteer to pay.

$6000 a year is a lot of money for a shack on a campsite. Though Playa del Carmen is a too good location, nice beach and 50 miles from international airport, basically a Cancun suburb. From what I see, homes in Baja are generally more expensive than in mainland Mexico. Too many expats in Baja. Oddly, RV parks in Baja are not too expensive, I don't think there is anything over 4000. Some places start from $700-800, if you're OK without running water and are willing to install the underground cable from the power pole at the camp entrance.

The laws in Cancun are same as anywhere East of Sonora - you must have TIP. When TIP expires, you lose few hundred bucks deposit. You won't be allowed any more TIPs in future, but Cancun is cheap to fly in. So what are we left with - the possibility of govt coming after your RV with a tow truck? Pure loss for them, old trailer has little value. I also wonder if RV parked on a private land is immune to this kind of enforcement - as long as you don't tow it on public roads.

briansue
Explorer
Explorer
Look around 20.523048 -87.192555 on Google Earth. Image date last I looked is March 2010. I have never counted how many there are. Some are new and some are old. Most RVs have palapa roofs. Beneath those roofs in some cases they have built houses around RVs. We saw some with concrete walls and RVs up on jacks with no tires or wheels. Some of these do come and go but for the most part they are left onsite year-round. Owners fly in and out of Cancun. These RVs never go anywhere and haven't for many years. In many cases the permits expired a long time ago. If you zoom in close enough there are a few RVs that never got around to building palapas but there are also some spaces reserved for transients. When we visit around Christmas back more than a few years ago the rate for a space was $6,000US per year. I have never taken time to count how many of these there are. I have no idea what the laws are or how this place gets to do this. They have a restaurant and dive shop. We know of many places with "extended stay" RV parking in various parts of Mexico mainland other than Baja - but none quite like this one.

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
briansue wrote:
many RV parks around Mexico - especially in the Baja but other places such as the Yucatan as well - where RV owners have built palapas and even houses around RVs that have been there for many years and will never move again. We see these "houses" with for sale signs on them and have seen a few that are high priced.
What happens if they start to enforce any of the RV permits - be they 10 year or 6 months?

People in Baja never bothered with getting any TIP for travel trailer or 5-er. Only for boats longer than 14(?) feet. Structure on a leased land, be it a house, trailer, palapa or trailer with or without palapa, sells for whatever a buyer finds reasonable to pay. If place is nice and palapa is nice, price can be high.

So far only boats have been (occasionally) enforced in Baja. What happens if they start enforcing old RV's sitting on cement blocks under palapas? Jee, who knows... Many of those trailers can't even be moved anymore, locals from village are living there because bought it cheap.

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
moisheh wrote:
I have not seen any reference to this subject on any other forums. Chris: a 10 year permit allows you to leave the rig in Mexico. Why issue a 10 year permit to someone who can only stay in Mexico for 180 days? Those permits started with 15 years for boats. Then Rv's were added. Finally they became 10 year. Navegator. Lots of snowbirds leave their vehicles in the USA. Don't know if it is legal.

Moisheh

Sorry, I can't find any reference to being able to leave the rig without the owner for a 10 year permit.

Not saying you're wrong but I can't find it. No TIP allows a vehicle without the owner.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
I have not seen any reference to this subject on any other forums. Chris: a 10 year permit allows you to leave the rig in Mexico. Why issue a 10 year permit to someone who can only stay in Mexico for 180 days? Those permits started with 15 years for boats. Then Rv's were added. Finally they became 10 year. Navegator. Lots of snowbirds leave their vehicles in the USA. Don't know if it is legal.

Moisheh

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe Banjersito wants to use the money that they set as a fiansa (lean) that is returned after 180 days to make short term loans, the same as some banks do with some short term loans.

Or they want better control of what is entering or trying to protect the automobil dealers and importers, maybe a well connected politico will start importing RV's to Mexico?

In Mexico the different government agencies do not comunicate with each other and this causes a lot of miss information and headaches for those trying to navigate the paperwork mine fields.

It is only natural that they want the person and the vehicle entering and exiting together, I do not know what the U.S. laws are for a temporary importation of a vehicle are, I am certain that the individual and the vehicle need to leave after 180 days, then of course I have never imported a vehicle to the U.S. maybe one of you that worked for CBP can enlighten us.

navegator