cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

No RV park problem in Durango solved

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
I found a place in Durango. It is Villas de Aragon. Eastside of Durango. It has a huge internal parking lot that can handle a big rig. and room to turn around. A room is about 300 pesos but they may charge less if you use your R V. To get there just follow the Zacatecas-Durango highway 45 go past the ring road, into Durango itself. You will pass the polytechnical university on your left and a Baleanario on your right. About 4 km further on you will see Pemex 3939 on your left. You can park in here and walk 1/2 a block further down to check it out. Since you cannot make a left into the motel you need to turn at the pemex, go down just around the corner, make a right on the first paved road and then 2 rights where it T-intersects which will put you into the Motel from the right direction. No low trees or hazards. I checked it out for future, but arrived in Durango early enough to contine on to Mazatlan.

GPS co-ordinates are N 24.029845 W 104.614573. Check it out on Google Earth.

The Baleanario also had a large parking area and is closed except in summer, but a large parking area is accessible. With a group it would be OK, but I would be wary by myself.

The new Durango Mazatlan Cuota is spectacular. $100 in tolls for 4 axles. Worth every penny. The highway from Zacatecas to Durango is in very good shape, almost like a cuota. There was enough traffic on it, I did not feel wary. About 3.5 hours and another 3.5 for Durango to Mazatlan.
8 REPLIES 8

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
We stayed at the Cruz Roja en Dolores Hidalgo, water and wifi behind the town auditorium. Also, on two different occasions we stayed at the Universidad Tecnologico around the corner from there. Of course, we boondock a lot in Mexico. Always a place to stay. Being teachers works for us in small towns with a primary school.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

briansue
Explorer
Explorer
We met a couple from Chile who have boondocked all over the US, Canada, Mexico for 8 months now and not yet paid to park - they stay at a lot of Bomberos - Firehouses. They stayed at the one in Guanajuato, Dolores Hidalgo, and were headed for the one in SMA when we met them dumping at San Ramon - so fire stations could be another to look out for - someone there 24 hours a day - if there is room to park without blocking the drive.

Turtle-Toad
Explorer
Explorer
Universities, good tip, I'd never thought of them before. I have stayed at a copshop in Baja though.
Turtle & Toad, On the Road
37' Georgetown XL w/3 slides, 1 1/2 bath, & 595 watts of solar power
06 Taco TRD (for "Off the Road")
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here
Only States/Provinces that I have spent at least a week in are shown

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
We've done university campuses before. There is always someone on top who speaks English and usually very understanding. They are good spots as they have security 24/7.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
A motor home is fine, the parking lot would hold a 20 rig caravan. They have no website. I took photos but my laptop is toast, so I will add them to this post when I get home. I will see if I can email them to a friend and have him host them so I can link. There was a truck parked in there when i took the pic so it has perspective. The parking lot is a large triangle so you can drive around it and out, no problem. It is larger than it looks on google earth. Just park in Pemex 3939 and walk the 1/2 bock west and check out first. There is a Bimbo Bread plant across the street. Another optipn is the polytech university, they have a large empty area inside their gated grounds. Its possible they may allow an overnight, but I think the Motel would work for anyone.

briansue
Explorer
Explorer
Probably too much information but I found a few info places by Googling - with slightly different info - but no sign of a website for the motel.

Looking a Google Earth and Street View I wonder if there is room for a 40' motorhome towing a car?

We could do the Zac to Maz trip nonstop but would rather take our time making stops along the new road to admire the view and the construction.

Here are some numbers......note address and Zip vary

Address: Carr A Mexico Sn 2.5 S / n,, Durango, Durango, 34000
Telephone: 618.818-2063, 618.818-1803

Address
A KM 2.5 CARR MEXICO SN S / N CANELAS, DURANGO, CP 34290 - DGO
Phone
TEL: (618) 818-2063

Motel Villas De Aragon
Carr A Mexico Sn 2.5 S / n
Col: Durango Center
Durango , Durango 34000
Telephone: 618.818-2063, 618.818-1803

Motel Villas of Aragon
fully carpeted rooms, tv, telephone
Mexico Km 2.5 Carretera a Canelas Durango 34290
618-818-2063

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
Durango itself is supposedly safe, but there were some incidents late last year apparently on the highway to zacatecas. I suspect it is OK now as the new Cuota has increased truck traffic on that road. We were never out of sight of an oncoming vehicle the whole trip and there were 2 or 3 check points. The first one was at the junction to Cuincame. We asked if the road direct to Durango was safe or should we go the long way around. They said it was safe, so we took it. That enabled us to make it from Zacatecas to Mazatlan in one day, but we decided to check put this Motel I had found on google earth as well.

gringodog
Explorer
Explorer
A number of years ago (circa 2007) we stayed at the old Western movie set a few km. north of Durango. (Now - or at least then, a tourist attraction) The manager was surprised at our request, but agreed and had the 24-hour guard check on us. However, the parking lot is not fenced in. We were less concerned about security then.