Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Northern California -> Yellowstone July 2015

roadnerd
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,
I'm new here ๐Ÿ˜‰

Up until just recently, we were long time tent campers.

After several years of discussion about getting a rig (and many cold nights,sore backs and wondering how we were going to cram all that camping******back into our Subaru Outback), we recently purchased a 26' 2008 Keystone Sprinter, which will be pulled by a 2003 F250 Diesel (yes, a 6.0 - I'm still bulletproofing it ๐Ÿ˜‰ ).

This is our 1st RV, and we're very excited - we're trying to have as much time with our children (son, 12 and daughter , 15) before they grow up and move on, and also have something to do as we move into being childless (although I won't be surprised if one or both of my kids are living at home 15 years from now, but that's a different topic..hehe)

Anywho... Our 1st big trip will be in early July of 2015. We will be camping our way from our home in Fairfield, CA to Yellowstone NP, trying to average about 300 miles a day, with several days in Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons. We'll be taking Interstate 80 up over Donner summit and into Reno, across Nevada and then up into Idaho and finally Wyoming. None of us have ever been in this part of the country (Idaho and Wyoming)

Any words of advice on this route/time of year, or anything else? Any good side trips? I have reservations for almost all of if (the important parts in particular: Yellowstone and Grand Tetons). With the exception of the climb over the Sierras , I think this is the most approachable drive into Yellowstone (w/respect to elevation and pulling a trailer)- is that correct? We'll be doing several short shakedown trips before the big trip to learn the rig.

Thanks in advance!
--Brendan
2003 Ford F250 Powerstroke (yes, a 6.0 ๐Ÿ™‚ )
2008 Keystone Sprinter 264BHS
20 REPLIES 20

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for reporting back with your update. Wish more folks would do that.

It sounds like you had a successful trip other than the tire problems. Now you can start planning your next one. ๐Ÿ™‚
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

roadnerd
Explorer
Explorer
I just wanted to close out this thread. We're in Winnemucca, and will be home tomorrow (we'd be home already, but we had a flat just west of Battle Mountain, NV, so I begged DW and kids to let me have a rest before laying down the remaining 320 miles to home). This was actually the 2nd tire issue on this trip - on the trip out, I noticed the other remaining cheap Briway (purchased on the TT) delaminating and replaced it. Today, the last Briway failed , at 65 mph. I barely felt it, but another driver was kind enough to bring it to my attention. I carry 2 spares, so no problem, except for the fact that the belt that delaminated was stuck between the brake housing and the axle, so my kids bravely jumped in and pulled the belt off the axle with a rope while I push on it with a hammer and wrench (I did call Good Same, but Good Sam took too long, and the tow company told me that removing the separated belt would be "mobile mechanic" and was not covered by GSRA, so we helped ourselves)

Anywho... Great trip - thanks for the suggestions regarding Village of Trees , kknowlton, and Massacre Rocks, 2gypsies. We stayed at Village Of Trees on the way, and Massacre Rocks (2 nights) on the way home. Both were great, and were enjoyed by all. We also followed the advice to stay outside the park the night before we checked into Grant Village, which was another great piece of advice. We had the family trip of a lifetime, took about 3000 pictures, and have not killed each other yet ;). Yellowstone and Grand Tetons were spectacular. This was our first major trip, and we learned A LOT, and know that we have so much more to learn. Thanks to all for the great guidance!

creetch
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
I wouldn't advise bringing bikes for YNP. The roads don't always have shoulders and the traffic is heavy. The Tetons have a bike trail in some areas.

Our bikes never got off the racks when we were there. All of the things in Teton and Yellowstone are a good distance apart so you definitely did not ride from location to location. A little tootling around in the campgrounds might have been OK, but it did not really happen.
Greg, Becky, Jack and Ella (kids), Ben and Sydney (dogs)
2007 Dodge 2500 Cummings 5.9
2008 Roo 19

dave54
Nomad
Nomad
2gypsies wrote:
I wouldn't advise bringing bikes for YNP. The roads don't always have shoulders and the traffic is heavy. The Tetons have a bike trail in some areas.

I disagree. YNP is great for bikes. There is no shoulder but that usually is not a problem. The side roads are great for mountain bikes, Blacktail Plateau road, a few old service roads converted to bike trails. The regular trail system is closed to bikes.

There is a short period in the Spring, after the snow melts off the highways but before the roads are open to vehicles, when you can ride the Park roads. Almost no traffic, just Park administrative use. The wildlife are real active because they just came out of Winter and no carloads of tourists chasing them away.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

roadnerd
Explorer
Explorer
kknowlton wrote:
What 2gypsies said. Massacre Rocks SP has sites with electric & water hookups, and has a dump station. The state park has only some sites able to fit a 26-foot trailer, so if you'll be thru that area on a weekend, you may need to reserve a site in advance. The website has campsite pictures and gives the measurements (length & width) of each site - very helpful!

If you want FHUs a nice place to stop is Village of Trees RV Park in Declo, along I-84, not too far east of Twin Falls, near Burley. Pocatello has 2 FHU CGs, a KOA (under new ownership, basic but pleasant enough, with a nice mountain view) and Cowboy RV Park, next to the city cemetery.

Time to wake up the zombie thread a bit ๐Ÿ˜‰

We're on the "runup" now, and are booking a few last things - including Massacre Rocks SP - thanks for the tip!

I've also learned that 2 months in advance is not enough for some Yellowstone activity bookings - we wanted to do the "Roosevelt" dinner with horseback riding, but it's already booked up for the entire summer! (we "settled" for the wagon ride instead, which should also be awesome).

Does anyone have any input on bicycles at YNP/Grand Tetons/Massacre Rocks? Good idea? Bad idea? I'll probably bring at least one bicycle (my wife won't let me bring my plated dual sport motorcycle on this trip ๐Ÿ˜‰ )

roadnerd
Explorer
Explorer
EPenney wrote:
We did that same trip from Galt, CA to Bridge Bay CG in Yellowstone NP in July 2008. It was a about 925 miles one-way. O-Nighted in Elko NV going & coming. Spent 12 nights at Bridge Bay CG and took our time touring the park.

My brother went with us, and towed a 32' 5ver with his 2003 F250 diesel, so I don't believe you will have any problems towing your trailer with your truck up & down any of the mountain grades along the route in both directions. I recommend you tow with a full water tank since you will be towing along long stretches of desert on I-80.

Our route both directions was:
I-80 to Wells, NV
US-93 Wells, NV to Twin Falls, ID
I-86 Twin Falls to Pocatello, ID
I-15 Pocatello ID to Idaho Falls, ID
US-20 Idaho Falls, ID to jct with US-89 in the park
Jct US-20 & US-89 to Norris Canyon Rd (connector bwtn Grand Loop Rd segments)
Norris Canyon Rd to Canyon
Grand Loop Rd South to Bridge Bay CG

Have a fun trip. The wild flowers should be starting to bloom in early July.

-Eric

Cool! You have just described pretty much the exact trip I have planned (minus starting in Galt, of course),complete with same stops (also staying in Elko, and staying at Grant Village in YNP). My trailer is 9000 fully loaded, and the F250 is rated for 13000. Thanks for the tip about the water, we do need to be survival minded, especially going across NV. (I've driven from Utah -> Nevada, and quickly realized it's not the best place to break down unprepared)
Thanks!

EPenney
Explorer
Explorer
We did that same trip from Galt, CA to Bridge Bay CG in Yellowstone NP in July 2008. It was a about 925 miles one-way. O-Nighted in Elko NV going & coming. Spent 12 nights at Bridge Bay CG and took our time touring the park.

My brother went with us, and towed a 32' 5ver with his 2003 F250 diesel, so I don't believe you will have any problems towing your trailer with your truck up & down any of the mountain grades along the route in both directions. I recommend you tow with a full water tank since you will be towing along long stretches of desert on I-80.

Our route both directions was:
I-80 to Wells, NV
US-93 Wells, NV to Twin Falls, ID
I-84 Twin Falls to Pocatello, ID
I-15 Pocatello ID to Idaho Falls, ID
US-20 Idaho Falls, ID to jct with US-89 in the park
Jct US-20 & US-89 to Norris Canyon Rd (connector bwtn Grand Loop Rd segments)
Norris Canyon Rd to Canyon
Grand Loop Rd South to Bridge Bay CG

Have a fun trip. The wild flowers should be starting to bloom in early July.

-Eric
'07 Chevy 2500HD Silverado "Classic" CC D/A 4x4
'07 Komfort Trailblazer T252FS fifth wheel
Reese Signature 18K Slider and other stuff.....some useful.....some not

roadnerd
Explorer
Explorer
kknowlton wrote:
What 2gypsies said. Massacre Rocks SP has sites with electric & water hookups, and has a dump station. The state park has only some sites able to fit a 26-foot trailer, so if you'll be thru that area on a weekend, you may need to reserve a site in advance. The website has campsite pictures and gives the measurements (length & width) of each site - very helpful!

If you want FHUs a nice place to stop is Village of Trees RV Park in Declo, along I-84, not too far east of Twin Falls, near Burley. Pocatello has 2 FHU CGs, a KOA (under new ownership, basic but pleasant enough, with a nice mountain view) and Cowboy RV Park, next to the city cemetery.

I use Roadtrippers for basic planning (www.roadtrippers.com), and found and booked Village Of Trees during our initial runup into this "project" on roadtrippers. We'll actually be spending the 4th of July there. Nice to hear an endorsement for it, thanks.

roadnerd
Explorer
Explorer
I've also just picked up The Next Exit 2015: http://www.amazon.com/Next-Exit-2015-Complete-Interstate/dp/0984692134/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1424200906&sr=8-1&keywords=next+exit+2015

Looks like that's useful for finding transfer stations.

Thanks to all for the great input, I really appreciate it. I will keep asking questions. Rexlion, I'll keep an eye peeled in the Tetons, and will bring all manner of clothing. My wife has already started collecting provisions, so we should be in good shape...

roadnerd
Explorer
Explorer
Two Hands wrote:
You should seriously consider getting a copy of the Mountain Directory West (there is also one for the east). Check your intended route to see what mountain passes and grades you will be travelling. You can take a different route if necessary or at least know what to expect.

Thanks, I've never heard of that, great tip! Ordered and on it's way from Amazon

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Remember, too, Yellowstone is a figure EIGHT...the upper circle has most of the animals and the lower circle has most of the geysers. Hit the upper circle in early morning or from 3PM and later for maximum animal sightings...Bison are everywhere and can be seen anytime..we stayed at Grizzly RV Park just outside the West Entrance. Make sure you hit all the smaller side roads...lots to see....enjoy the trip...Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
You should seriously consider getting a copy of the Mountain Directory West (there is also one for the east). Check your intended route to see what mountain passes and grades you will be travelling. You can take a different route if necessary or at least know what to expect.
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe I'll see you at the Tetons; I hope to be there too. ๐Ÿ™‚ Bring all sorts of clothes, because it can be really hot or really cold or anywhere in between, and sometimes all of the above in the space of three days.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point