cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NY to Yosemite, mid April

KE4AEK
Explorer
Explorer
Have reservations at Yosemite Lodge for 26 April. Traveling from NY with 33' gas Winnebago VISTA towing a Wrangler. Looking at route options I80, I70, or I40. Current planning indicates 7 days to get there. How many extra days should I allow for potential weather problems? Interested in anyone's experience for these 3 routes.
5 REPLIES 5

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
No more than one extra day for weather IMO. Take the shortest route but don't plan on going 395 over Tioga into Yosemite. Need to come around to 99 in the Central Valley.

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.monobasinresearch.org/data/tiogapass.htm

is an interesting website devoted to opening and closing dates of Tioga Pass since 1933. You will see the very wide discrepancy of open and close dates.
jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
With the lack of snow we're getting out here, you may be able to enter Yosemite from the east over Tioga Pass. It normally doesn't open until into May, but we're getting a very dry winter so it may open early if that keeps up.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

JimFromJersey
Explorer
Explorer
KE4AEK wrote:
Have reservations at Yosemite Lodge for 26 April. Traveling from NY with 33' gas Winnebago VISTA towing a Wrangler. Looking at route options I80, I70, or I40. Current planning indicates 7 days to get there. How many extra days should I allow for potential weather problems? Interested in anyone's experience for these 3 routes.
I-40 from Knoxville to Flagstaff is pretty much a breeze. Late April SHOULD be OK but you never know with this winter - New Mex and Ariz. might be iffy. Depending on where in NYS you are, I'd take I-81 south from PA to Tennessee. I did that a bunch of years ago but it was an easy drive.
Always remember, you're a unique individual. Just like the other 7 billion people on the planet...

spacedoutbob
Explorer
Explorer
If there is possible bad weather, I would take I-40 as it has the least amount of mountains to climb, there is high elevation however as Arizona and New Mexico are High Desert areas. Once you get to California, I would take Hwy. 58 to Bakersfield, from there take Hwy. 99 North. From there you have two choices to go into Yosemite, either Hwy. 41 East or go farther North to Merced and take Hwy. 140 East. Bad weather, I would take 10 days or so. Have a Great Trip!

Bob in Calif.
Good Sam Club Life Member