cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

One month in Mexico

IBcarguy
Explorer
Explorer
Soon after retirement I want my first trip to be to Mexico. I have a new 31' TT and would like to stay at a RV park for about a month. We live in northern CA so the drive wouldn't be too bad.
We've never been there so I need to do a lot of planning ahead of time. I would like to be on the coast if possible. I don't golf or enjoy the night life....rest and relaxation are more important to me. I also enjoy sight seeing, exploring, and a little fishing.
Budget is limited so luxury resorts are out. Does anyone have any suggestions or input that would be helpful in planning such a trip? Goggle searches seem confusing and sometimes don't tell the real story.
Thanks in advance.....
30 REPLIES 30

briansue
Explorer
Explorer
We travel all over Mexico (see map below in signature). We have been to so many interesting places we can't remember them all. We are not much for beaches though we have spent a little time on beaches.

We find we have to go south of the Tropic of Cancer for it to be warm enough for us - that would be south of Mazatlan on the west coast. South of San Luis Potosi inland. Yucatan to the east on the Caribbean. Central Mexico is mountainous and over a mile high so can be cooler than the coast but still warm - though it can cool off at night. We prefer the higher elevations - no bugs - no need for air conditioner - electricity in Mexico can limit the use of air conditioners.

We did the Baja once but did not get to the tip - road is so narrow it can be very stressful - lanes are 9 feet wide and we are 8'6" before mirrors and such - no shoulder to the ditch - as above I measured - semi trucks coming the other way are also wide with mirrors. There are newer better roads on the mainland.

We enjoy central Mexico and visit the "Colonial Cities". We enjoy exploring the ancient ruins of the Aztecs and Mayans and other ancient civilizations.

Some may disagree but we still find Traveler's Guide to Mexican Camping by Mike & Terri Church to be a very useful book for finding RV parks etc. in Mexico . . . http://www.rollinghomes.com/mexico%20book.htm . . . and thought the book is quite out of date they have a section on their website where you can find updates to the book to keep up to date.

. . . ontheroadin.com/mexico_road_logs__driving_guide.htm . . . is another great place for info on RVing in Mexico. We still use their logs on every trip - well worth the cost. Many tips and lots of info on this website as well. Click around the top banner on this website to learn much more.. . . . http://www.ontheroadin.com/ . . . .

. . . . . http://www.sct.gob.mx/informacion-general/planeacion/cartografia/mapa-por-estado/ . . . here you will find the best maps of Mexico - download .pdf for free and use in your computer to plan trip.

Get a good GPS that comes with Mexico maps such as the Garmin nuvi 2757LM 7" GPS Navigation System w/ Lifetime Map Updates - with a 7" screen and maps of all of North America - looking on their website these are no longer a current model but can be found on Amazon refurbished.

This website . . . http://app.sct.gob.mx/sibuac_internet/ControllerUI?action=cmdEscogeRuta&eligeIdioma=si . . . can be used as a route planner (not very good) and also to learn about tolls and to see how much to tolls might be and if your route has tolls. You must figure out total cost if you tow and have more than one unit (vehicle - trailer - etc.) - there is a learning curve to using this website and calculator but it can be useful to learn.

Study the "Stickies" at the top of the main page of this forum to learn about paperwork and insurance.

Ask lots of questions on this forum!!

_1Flyboy
Explorer
Explorer
. . .FWIW. . . I have NEVER taken my RV South of the border - only have flown down / drove down to Baja; I would love to take my RV down; LOTS of folks do. . .Be aware that the roads are not up to US standards in Baja. . . They are wide & doable as far as Ensenada on MX Hwy 1 & San Selipe on MX Hwy 5. . .Below that the roads are NARROW ( 18' wide - I measured ) & NO SHOULDER. . .I measured the outside mirror of my RV to the other outside mirror & came up with 10', so I do not wish to risk it. . . BUT remember that LOTS of folks take there RV down & really enjoy life. . .

almcc
Explorer
Explorer
Just a comment on bugs on the west coast. We spent 4 winters there south of Maz and found that they are a very local issue. We spent a month or so at Villas Onac (which I believe was the old name for Colar... that was suggested above) and it was relatively bug free with the exception of a few flies, a number of miles up the road they had Atun at the tables in restaurants to fight off the no see ums.

Another reason not to lock in a specific campsite for a long period.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
ibcarguy,
Before going into Baja be sure you have the following:
1. Mexican car insurance but buy it before you get to the calif./baja border crossing, trying to buy insurance right at the border is a zoo and frustrating. Check with the Bagabundos Club in Rio Vista calif. Your american regular insurance won't work when you are in Baja. Check with Good Sam about being able to use their Emergency Road Side service policy when in Baja.
2. have your registration and pink slip or if still being financed, a letter giving you permission to take the car/rv into Baja. This requirement might have changed.
3. If possible, your doctors prescription for all drugs/prescritions that you will be taking across the border.
4. DO NOT bring any guns of any kind or ammunition into Baja or Mexico.
5. When leaving Baja at the border make sure any locks on your RV are unlocked. Be prepared for questions by the U.S. border patrol guards like "what country are you from". Be sure you and your wife verbally practice your answers. The gurards will some times ask your wife to step to one side of the vehicle and you on the other. They want to check if both of you are giving the same answers. Do not hesitate in your answers. The guards have absolutely no sense of humor:(.
6. Be sure and give your car/RV a complete maintenace check up before leaving and replace or repair any suspect issues or repairs BEFORE LEAVING.

micpib1
Explorer
Explorer
IBecarguy, you also might check http://forums.bajanomad.com for more info. Some of the posters are a little cranky at times, but there is some great info about all of Baja. JH

micpib1
Explorer
Explorer
I would second the San Felipe idea. I go there every once in a while and I am in the process of planning my next trip to Baja. You should find the roads between the border and San Felipe in great condition, people friendly and great food. My last visit to Baja Mar on the Malecon, we sat outdoors,overlooking the Sea of Cortez, their special was giant shrimp, stuffed with ham, wrapped with BACON, covered with cheese. That reminds me, I will need to diet before my next trip. Also, the Chinese Food on the Right as you come into town was fantastic. My breakfast burrito from the El Rancho Market was big and good. Many people stay at Pete's Camp, it is just past El Dorado Ranch, on the Left side of the Highway. It is fairly basic, but the view is good, there is a decent restaurant/bar on site, you can check their website for details. I live in and travel from Northern, Northern California. I usually cross the border at Mexicali/El Centro and I have never had a problem in my visits in Baja. JH

IBcarguy
Explorer
Explorer
Since reading all the replies about no-see-ums, I did a little research because I've never heard of them....don't have them up here. There are places here with mosquitos and like most people, I hate them.
So, with that said I will definitely stay away from places on our trip that have these criters.

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
We spent the last two Christmas holidays in Mazatlan. Love the place, the people and visiting friends and rvers.

That said, the no-see-ums and mosquitos are just way too much to handle. They make their way through the window screens as well. We missed all of the sunrises and sunsets because that's when they start to hover.

Like I said, we love the beaches but not the bugs. East coast is much different.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

IBcarguy
Explorer
Explorer
Tequila wrote:
I run caravans down there so I am familiar with most places. Color Marino on the teacapan Penninsula sounds like what you describe 75 miles south of mazatlan.

I Googled this place and apparently it's closed.

IBcarguy
Explorer
Explorer
rocmoc wrote:
No-see-ums and Mosquitoes can be a problem when at a coastal campground. Recommend paying / reserving a week at a time so you can move on if they are a problem. Also loud music from beach restaurants and smoke from burning palm fronds in the evening can be enough to ruin your stay. Don't overlook moving inland and up in elevation for cooler weather and fewer bugs.

rocmoc n AZ

Thanks for the advice. I definitely would not be happy with bugs, smoke, and noise. After thinking about it, staying in one place for the whole trip limits the experience. It would be more adventurous and interesting to visit 3-4 places. I've got plenty of time to plan this out.

rocmoc
Explorer
Explorer
No-see-ums and Mosquitoes can be a problem when at a coastal campground. Recommend paying / reserving a week at a time so you can move on if they are a problem. Also loud music from beach restaurants and smoke from burning palm fronds in the evening can be enough to ruin your stay. Don't overlook moving inland and up in elevation for cooler weather and fewer bugs.

rocmoc n AZ
rocmoc n Great SouthWest USA

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
Anywhere from $15 to $35

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious what is the range of prices for a campsite like the original poster described?

LatinoCanadian
Explorer
Explorer
IBcarguy wrote:
Soon after retirement I want my first trip to be to Mexico. I have a new 31' TT and would like to stay at a RV park for about a month. We live in northern CA so the drive wouldn't be too bad.
We've never been there so I need to do a lot of planning ahead of time. I would like to be on the coast if possible. I don't golf or enjoy the night life....rest and relaxation are more important to me. I also enjoy sight seeing, exploring, and a little fishing.
Budget is limited so luxury resorts are out. Does anyone have any suggestions or input that would be helpful in planning such a trip? Goggle searches seem confusing and sometimes don't tell the real story.
Thanks in advance.....

I liked Los Barriles close to Los Cabos, the drive is longer, the fishing is great, RV campgrounds on the beach very reasonable, close to an airport, very welcoming people and the outdoor activities go from kayaking to quadding to beach volleyball to name a few.
2015 GMC Sierra 2500HD Diesel ๐Ÿ™‚

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
I run caravans down there so I am familiar with most places. Color Marino on the teacapan Penninsula sounds like what you describe 75 miles south of mazatlan.