Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Patzcuaro - Rancho La Mesa

almalibre
Explorer
Explorer
Hola folks,

We hope to visit Patzcuaro again, specifically, Rancho La Mesa.

We've stayed before, but it has been a few years. Anyone been there lately?

We'll be coming from Guadalajara.

Thanks
Rob
16 REPLIES 16

almalibre
Explorer
Explorer
The road from town has been upgraded up to La Mesa. It is all concrete or cobblestone. You can see it on Google Earth as Calle Ascension and later Zaragoza. It leads to Parroquia de Marรญa Inmaculada de la Salud, and later the square. The road after La Mesa was not upgraded and is not passable except by horse.

You would have to make some tight turns to get there, so not an appropriate route for rigs, but a car would be fine. The collectivos run up and down the road close to La Mesa and we saw taxis too.

We walked in every morning, my gps had it as 2kms to the square, all downhill on paved or cobblestone road.

Rob

iguana07
Explorer II
Explorer II
Its been three years since we were there last. The road to town has always been there,dirt ungraded, not sure if it has been upgraded? Would not take a low riding vehicle through but our jeep made it fine. Lots of turns and easy to take the wrong one but we used it the last couple times we were there. If I remember you have to open a barb wire gate to get out of Rancho then go through some barrios and come out on the main road.
Chuck n Sandy
Roxy the Kelpie and Kiki the cat.

briansue
Explorer
Explorer
We have not been to Rancho la Mesa for a couple years so are not sure about the road into town from there. We do know there was a sort of old horse path that was not maintained that went to somewhere in town but we never took it. That could be the road mentioned above and possibly it has been improved to help access to the "resort". We always drove back out to Hwy 120 and into town that way. It is just a couple miles.

I went on Google Earth and used their measuring device to do an "as the crow flies" distance from La Mesa to the main plaza in Centro - came out to 1.2 miles - not sure how accurate - or exactly which roads would take you there. You can see La Mesa on Google Earth at 19.502141 -101.594655 - zoom in to see white lines marked for RVs - the image on GE had a date of Nov 29, 2011 so it is a few years out of date. You should be able to Copy & Paste those coordinates from this post to the search line on Google Earth to find it.

I also used Google Earth to do an "as the crow flies" from Villa Patzcuaro to Centro and came up with 1.4 miles. Again - not sure which roads or actually miles.

The road to La Mesa is/was dirt and sort of back-tracks over 14D across a main highway concrete bridge - so maybe they expect eventual road improvements.

La Mesa is maybe a little over 5 years old and all hook-ups are new so there is no problem with electric - can't remember if we drink the water. We have our own UV water purification and filtration (a couple hundred bucks).

This place is mostly one of those wedding and event center places but they don't seem to have a lot of events. There is a restaurant. Our main reasons for preferring La Mesa has to do with the fantastic view from up there - and we are 40' long towing a car so getting into smaller parks is not always easily done - though we do get into some tight places. La Mesa has tons of room and over 20 spaces. They have fancy horses and ostriches and other animals. Ostrich on the menu too.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
The electricity is fine if you are the only one in the park. I would not plug into that setup for fear of killing something in my unit. Last time I actually checked the voltage it was just over 85. At night when some fool would plug in a kettle or heater it was even worse. Must be some awfully hot wires!!!

Moisheh

Talleyho69
Now that El Pozo is over, we will be back at Hotel Villa Patzcuaro. For two or three nights without a tow, it's tight, the electricity is bad, but it's close in.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
How about transport without a car? Patzcuaro is not the easiest place to find parking. And 14-D is not the place to find out about 5-axles cuotas. Coming and going. Around ninety US Dollars from the coast. Crossing el bule at Villa Patzcuaro is like a video game with me as the peaton target. I gave up a starting getting a nineteen dollar hotel room 3 blocks from plaza Bocanegra. Was hoping la mesa would work. Thanks.

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
And then there's the Hotel Villa Patzcuaro and Rv Park or was that already mentioned?
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

almalibre
Explorer
Explorer
Did you just use Facebook or did you use the email posted above? Do you know if there is a good way to email him? Thanks.

I used Facebook, but I will check with Beto if that is still his email address and post it here.

Rob

briansue
Explorer
Explorer
Almalibre

Rob,

They have a Facebook page and Beto answered our direct messages to him.

Did you just use Facebook or did you use the email posted above? Do you know if there is a good way to email him? Thanks.

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
Thankyou ofr the updateon the entrance, I have a caravan coming in there in November, nice to know you can trun up ahead.

almalibre
Explorer
Explorer
Just updating my own question here, La Mesa is open and very good. There is room for a bunch of rigs, but it is just a long-termer and I here for the Day of the Dead celebrations coming up.

One note is that you cannot turn left directly into the road to the park anymore, they have a barricade down the middle of the highway (120). There is a place to do a wide u-turn just a few hundred meters up the road.

The road to the park is still very rustic, but passable. They do have a new entrance in town now, which you could access with a tow vehicle, but not with a rig of any size.

Great place to stay, with an amazing view of Patzcuaro. A quick easy 2.0 km walk into centro, all downhill. A collectivo or inexpensive taxi (50P) will get you home if you do not want to walk back up the hill.

Good restaurant on site with craft beers on draft. Reg rate is 280 pesos a night with all hook ups. Wifi in the restaurant. 30 amp plug in! They have a Facebook page and Beto answered our direct messages to him.

Rob

Talleyho69
And, El Pozo is totally gone, forever.

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
We use it for our caravans, its good.

briansue
Explorer
Explorer
Rancho la Mesa is on a hill overlooking town (as the name suggests). If you take the road that goes to Santa Clara del Cobre it is down a long dirt road about 1/4 to 1/2 mile past where you go under the cuota. You go back over the cuota on the dirt road and it is a ways down there. It is a sort of resort/event center with a restaurant. They have horses and ostriches. The main thing is it overlooks town and the lake and Janitzio with great views all day long. Though it seems isolated it is really not far from town and if you have a car it is easy to get back and forth. We have stayed there several times.

Rancho La Mesa Pรกtzcuaro

http://www.rancholamesa.com ubicado a 15 Km. de Sta. Clara del Cobre en Carretera Pรกtzcuaro - Santa Clara del Cobre Km. 3, Pรกtzcuaro, Michoacรกn, C.P.61600, Mรฉxico,
Tel. & Fax: 434 342 0484, Tel. 434 342 4240,
E-Mail: rancholamesa@mexcon.net
01 800-715-7336 +52 434 345 0145

rancholamesa@prodigy.net.mx http://www.rancholamesa.com/index.php?lang=en

01 (434) 342 0804
September 30, 2009 Update - The new park is going to be ready to receive its first caravan in November. Full hookups including 15 and 30-amp power have already been installed. - Courtesy of Serge Loriaux 19.50214 -101.59369
Prices Rv Park Resort 2009 to 2010.
From 1 to 6 nights 1 week 1 month
$250.00 mx. $1680.00 mx. $6900.00 mx
Rancho La Mesa, Pรกtzcuaro
June 20, 2012 Update - We stayed here in January 2012. The construction has been completed. This is an absolutely wonderfull park that is built to North American Standards. 30 amp service, clean water and sewer at every site. The park has breathtaking veiws overlooking the city, a great restaurant, better than great management and is also a working ranch with horses, cattle, goats and chickens to pet. It is well signed once you are off the highway. We stayed here as a base to visit Morelia, Santa Clara de Cobre, and the butterflies. - Courtesy of Rich & Bonnie Dizon