cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pennsylvania I-81

lesjones
Explorer
Explorer
We will be traveling to Fl in early December and usually use I-81.

Has anyone been on this road in early Dec. of have any knowledge of the road conditions in early Dec.?????????

I have read about wind, snow, ice, etc. and certainly do not want to encounter any of those conditions with the MH and dingy.

Les Jones
12 REPLIES 12

Bea_PA
Explorer
Explorer
We will be leaving on Dec 7, watch the weather for VA if you are going that way, we will take 81 to 66/17 at Winchester over to 95 at Fredericksburg VA we usually come home 77/81 in the spring but 81 thru the VA mountains can be dicy in winter so watch your weather. Good Luck
Bea PA
Down sized Winnebago 2012 24V Class C
2003 Gold Wing 1800 recently triked (Big Red)

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
Veebyes wrote:
I would imagine road conditions are as bad by day as by night no matter the time of year. Last time we traveled that highway it was worse than any we faced in Alaska. One miserable road of joints & potholes.

Traffic conditions pretty bad too by day. Trucks, trucks, & more trucks.

The joints and potholes are gone between Northern PA line and Wilkes Barre. Government did a big upgrade and is a first class road now.

Day time conditions can be somewhat better because higher temps makes the salt work better and increased traffic keeps it cleaner.
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would imagine road conditions are as bad by day as by night no matter the time of year. Last time we traveled that highway it was worse than any we faced in Alaska. One miserable road of joints & potholes.

Traffic conditions pretty bad too by day. Trucks, trucks, & more trucks.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Check PA 511 for road & weather conditions.

Ed_C
Explorer
Explorer
If the weather is iffy 78 is mostly flat and lower altitude... a safer bet, but can have more traffic. We usually drive it after Christmas and make the decession at Port Jervis, NY.
Ed/Jeanie & Slade the GSD
2017 Entegra Aspire 42 RBQ/ Sierra Crew

johnwalkerpa1
Explorer
Explorer
lesjones wrote:
We will be traveling to Fl in early December and usually use I-81.

Has anyone been on this road in early Dec. of have any knowledge of the road conditions in early Dec.?????????

I have read about wind, snow, ice, etc. and certainly do not want to encounter any of those conditions with the MH and dingy.

Les Jones

Well, as others have said, that time of year can go either way.

But, I will say this...the odds are in your favor. Most of our serious winter weather around here waits until January thru March....most of the time......a few years ago we had 26 inches here around Dec 20 and we have had 8 inches in October...but that is rare.

The last few years, though, we hardly had winter...so????????

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
From where you are if it weather forecast is iffy just take 87 to 78 and hit Harrisburg that way. The worst part of 81 is between Binghamton and south of Wilkes Barre, Pa. Northern Pennsylvania I81 can get icy and miserable specially at night. It is very hilly. There is a flying J to overnight in about 25 miles into Pennsylvania at Gibson exit. The road itself is in excellent condition until you get to the construction in Scranton.
The road between Scranton and Wilkes Barre is congested at times and is known for increased accidents and so has a lower speed limit for about 30 miles. I usually take the turnpike from Clark's Summit to Just past Wilkes Barre to avoid all the distractions. When you exit the Turnpike there are a couple of gas stations right at the exit. Weekdays this is a very good option to me so as to avoid all the construction

It is a pretty ride though.
I can remember within the past 5-6 years rerouting myself from Syracuse down the thruway to avoid I81 on miserable days.
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

Thomas_NH
Explorer
Explorer
Really Les, you hail from Brandon and you're worried about driving I81? It's not like you're driving over "Lincoln Gap"... All kidding aside, I did it last year in February with 8" snow storm that turned to ice in the mountains. The DOT boys did a very good job and we cruised right through. Our biggest problem was finding a campground; all the usual parking lots were posted in that area. My wife believes in following the rules and overnight parking was out of the question.

BTW: I grew upon Birch Hill Rd. Forestdale VT.

BigBoy11
Explorer
Explorer
We live right off of I-81 and it has looked like the entire Province of Quebec is migrating south these past few days! Early December can be iffy so just check before you leave but PA, MD, WV and VA all keep it clear ASAP! Too much truck traffic not to do so! No road construction issues this year st least.

deewhite0612
Explorer
Explorer
We have travelled this road several times, once in early January and have not had problems. Take it slow and stop if there is bad weather. DOT usually clears it pretty quickly if there is snow as it is a major route from Canada to the South.
Michael and Daryl (Dee)
2006 Newmar Kountry Star 3778
2008 Saturn Vue XR V6
Blue Ox Alladin
Brake Buddy Classic

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Usually not too bad early December, but the weather is anyone's guess. Snowed before Halloween last year. PA is pretty good about salting so unless you are right in the storm it shouldn't be slick or icy. Odds are in your favor I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just watch the weather and be flexible on your travel days/times.

Drbolasky
Explorer
Explorer
Can be hit or miss at that time of year. Your best chance of snow/ice will be in the northeast corner of PA as I-81 traverses the higher elevations of the Pocono Mtns., etc. It's usually milder the closer you get to the Mason-Dixon Line. I-81 around Harrisburg can be congested - time your trip to avoid the rush hours. Safe travels.

Doug, Linda, Audrey (USN) & Andrew

2008 Sequoia SR-5, 5.7 L, 2000 Coachmen Futura 2790TB Bunkhouse, Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension, Reese W.D. Hitch/Dual Cam Sway Control, Prodigy Brake Controller, McKesh Mirrors
:B