Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Picking a destination for next year?

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Everyone,

It has been a bit of torture following folks Mexico travels on this forum knowing that we couldn't go this year.

So here I am looking towards Winter of 2016 and our chance to head South again.

Our last trip down we had intended to make our way to Mazatlan. Our first planned stop was San Carlos with a plan to stay for 1-2 nights before continuing on. We were soooo comfortable at Tatanaka and San Carlos that we decided to stay another day or two..... And then two more... After almost a month it was time to head North ๐Ÿ˜ž We never made it South of San Carlos.

We did have an awesome trip though.

As I begin to contemplate our next trip I am considering options. I can make another run at Maz. I could, knowing how much I enjoy it, simply plan a trip to San Carlos.

Or a third option: The duration and distance I travel is limited more by what I spend on the trip than the time I take. How about finding the least expensive destination that I can find the things I like best?

Quiet beaches, good street food, friendly people and some activities such as hiking & boating.

Where have you found a quiet, comfortable and (relatively) inexpensive spot that you would recommend?

Also, do you all see the RV parks raising rates as the exchange rates change?

Thanks

Steve
2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's
2002 Forest River 36 5th Wheel (staying home)
1992 Jayco 29 5th Wheel (Mexico veteran & headed back)
2002 "faux" Wanderlodge 40' My new toy....
23 REPLIES 23

Talleyho69
We have done our best to cover the entire country, and for now, Zihuatanejo is it. For years, it was Mazatlan, until we found really warm water.

Our water here on our beach in the US is keeping us out of the water due to the temperature. For now, no surfing, just paddling in the local harbor where we don't have to get wet!

tepetapan
Explorer
Explorer
Wm.Elliot wrote:
The longer I travel to Mexico the more I'm convinced that beaches/sunny weather in Mazatlan can't be beat.

I see, according to your map, that the left coast is as far as you have really gone. Too bad for you.

Wm_Elliot
Explorer
Explorer
The longer I travel to Mexico the more I'm convinced that beaches/sunny weather in Mazatlan can't be beat.

fugawibill
Explorer
Explorer
For something a little different in the Mazatlรกn area, take a look at Tres Amigos. It is on a peninsula, and Mazatlรกn itself, is just a water taxi away. There are also four other major parks in the area

Yes, the parks are raising their prices, as their expenses remain constant whether they have occupants or not. Each year there are fewer of them as the land is too valuable, and condos are replacing the prime locations. More and more, RV'ers are leaving their rigs in Mexico, and flying both ways. Gas price, which is currently $2.81 per gallon for magna, becomes a factor for long distance travelers.

mexicoruss
Explorer II
Explorer II
I dont think exchange rates should matter that much.....I mean, I am going to Europe which will include London, Italy and Spain and I had to sell dollars and pesos to get my Euros and British pounds....did I want to maximize my trade? of course I did, if I didn't get what I wanted was it going to be a deal breaker? Of course not. Make your plans and go. Visit and enjoy!
Russ Black
011-521-638-113-4591 Cell Phone
Puerto Penasco, Sonora

almcc
Explorer
Explorer
We haven't been down to Mex in 5 years or so but we enjoyed Teacapan and Villas Onac (ownership and name has been changed). Small town life and local food and there is some good shopping in Esquinapa.

Talleyho69
We are beach people. We don't find the ocean warm enough until Zihuatanejo/Ixtapa.

Once you are part the first 600, 1000 miles, the exchange rate changes don't seem to make any difference in rates.

briansue
Explorer
Explorer
Personally we think it is still to cold until you get south of Mazatlan. If we were beach people (we prefer inland mountains) we would go to the area north of Puerto Vallarta - south of Tepic - sort of. I won't name any specific destination as I am no authority. We have been to Mazatlan and it is a big city with tall buildings - not our thing at all. We have also been to San Carlos and though we do sometimes use it as a stopover we found it to be a good introduction to Mexico but once we moved on things opened up to finding lots of more interesting stuff. We have also done the Yucatan and the Gulf Coast. A long time ago we lived in the Caribbean at 18 degrees north - we thought that was perfect weather. San Carlos is at 27 degrees - Mazatlan at 23 degrees - Puerto Vallarta at 20 degrees - Cancun at 21 degrees - that is latitude - not Celsius - so if it is perfect weather you want? Go south young man. For us - we RV to be mobile and not stay in any one place very long - new experiences - new things to see and do. So we tend to roam all over Mexico. We love the ancient ruins and the historical architecture of the colonial cities. This past winter we finally got to Oaxaca. We are all different so everyone will have some other idea about where to go and what to do. Asking questions here and doing research might take you to your own special paradise. We now have many paradises.

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
Yes a lot of parks have the nasty habit of basing prices on the USD. I would head at least ws far south as Mazatlan. 100 km south of that is a real nice quite beach rv park, color marino. Maybe too quiet. I hope this does not sound like an ad, but I lead a caravan on Oct 21.