cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plaskett Creek NFS CA-1 Closure

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
I had planned to drive from SF south on CA 1 to the following campground where we have reservations for June 1 to June 15. I understand that CA 1 has a number of closures in this area. Should I make other plans? or is there other routes to the campgrounds.

Kirk Creek CG
Washburn at San Simeon State Park
Plaskett Creek NFS
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos
4 REPLIES 4

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
I've been over N-F Road several times in the Tiger. I've seen vehicles there that were way too large to safely use the road, and now it is probably worse. Since that is the only way in/out of that patch of HWY 1, all folks who live there or work there or take supplies to there are using that road.
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
"without going over Nacimiento-Ferguson road"

I like a challenge but wouldn't take N-F road with my TT unless there was no other way. Very steep and twisty near CA Hwy. 1. And I like Washburn too, Tiger!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
Plaskett Creek appears to be between the two current Hwy 1 closures, both longterm, one for bridge being out and one for mudslide. Caltrans road conditions page shows some one-way spots, but it is not clear to me if you can currently reach Plaskett Creek without going over Nacimiento-Ferguson road through Fort Hunter-Liggett. That road may not be open to TT's as long as yours appears to be. You might try calling the USFS Monterey Ranger District (831) 385-5434 or the camp concessionaire (805) 434-1996.

101 to Hwy 46 over the hills to the coast should get you to San Simeon Washburn camp without any problems.
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
CA-1 is an important route so Cal-Trans usually works hard to get it opened as quickly as possible. Recent rains have caused problems. Keep checking as your trip gets closer, I bet the road will be clear by June.