cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Priests Grade in California

aussy
Explorer
Explorer
We are going to be going to the Thousand Trails Yosemite Lakes campground in the next month or so. We will be coming from the Central Valley up Hwy 120.

Can anyone tell me what to expect(both up and down) on Priests grade? I have driven this in a car but never towing a 26 foot trailer with my Ford Ecobeast.

Any advice?
16 REPLIES 16

katleman
Explorer
Explorer
Did Sonora pass for the first time last summer, in a car. Incredibly scenic, but the grades are outrageous, makes Tioga, Beartooth, etc, look like flat roads. Would never attempt it in an RV.

As to Old Priest grade, its my favorite part of thr drive to and from Yosemite each year. fun to drive in a non RV, and saves 5 miles each way.

Have taken New Priest grade several times in a RV, no problems at all, likewise with Tioga pass.
Visted via RV

jbbrick
Explorer
Explorer
I'd avoid Sonora at all costs when towing especially East to West. You're up at several thou feet already with low power, and there is one hill where you make a sharp right turn and can't get the rev's up. You'll be crawling in low gear-we did it a long time ago in a car and tent trailer and I could have walked up faster than we drove, floored in low gear. Did it again in the MH a few years ago and it was the same slow crawl, flat out in low. Tioga is a breeze plus really a beautiful ride but you have to pay for park access.
'06 Itasca Suncruiser 33'
2016 Ford Edge toad

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
Tioga is a LOT easier than Sonora. The east side of Tioga is pretty steep, but a lot less grade than Sonora. On the east side, Sonora Pass Rd. I was in 2nd gear much of the time (in a 6 spd. manual) and tried to up shift a couple times and the grade brought that Cummins 6BT with 505 pound feet of torque, turbo a-whinin', right down to it's knees.
jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

Gale_Hawkins
Explorer
Explorer
Sure not a MH friendly pass. 🙂

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Some good pics here Sonora Pass. Enjoy :C
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

aussy
Explorer
Explorer
I never thought of Sonora pass. How is Tioga pass in comparison?

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
We've been up and down Priests Grade many a time on our way to Yosemite. However, there is a sign which either restricts or gives a gross weight and length restriction on the 'old road', and it's pretty low, like 9000 or 10000 pounds. Our TC is only 20 feet in length but over 10000 lbs. so we always take the 'high road' with the other overweight rigs.
The worst grade i've seen in CA is State Route 108 which goes over Sonora Pass and has some stretches of 24 to 30% grade. Many an automatic trannie has met its demise on this paved over cow path.

regards, as always, jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

louiskathy
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, driving at a higher RPM would have forced more air through the transmission cooler and we would not have blown a seal on the tranny. Wish we had known THAT before we went up Priest's grade.

While we were cooling down and letting that seal reset... I managed to get on the internet and RV.NET guys gave some great info and advice. That was to ADD a cooling unit in series (instead of just replacing the one we had with a larger one.) Put them side by side. GREAT advice for us. That's what we had done the next morning.
Kathy

Gale_Hawkins
Explorer
Explorer
Up I like to be at 3500+ RPM

Going down I like max RPM at or blow WOT take off shift up point where no braking is required. After you spend an hour on the grades you should have the feel.

aussy
Explorer
Explorer
My F-150 has a 6 speed auto. Going up, would you guys recommend putting it a fixed gear maybe 3rd or 4th or just let the auto transmission decide?

Than going down, in a fixed gear? If so, what is the rule for putting in a fixed gear?

othertonka
Explorer
Explorer
You will be alright on the "new" priest grade, just stay on 120, do not turn right onto the "old priest grade going up, east. When you come to the grade have the co pilot look up the grade and she/he can see all the traffic coming down so you can be aware of that truck coming down and be on the lookout going around that next corner because that truck just might be coming around the same corner. Gear down and hold a steady throttle and take your time. Have a good trip
Othertonka
2004 Southwind 32VS 8.1 Workhorse chassis
2002 CRV Toad
U. S. Gear Unified brake system
Retired Fire Captain, SFD

spacedoutbob
Explorer
Explorer
I will drive up the Old Priest Grade with my camper on my truck, as it saves some driving time following the new road. However, I won't drive down it.

Bob in Calif.
Good Sam Club Life Member

Gale_Hawkins
Explorer
Explorer
jbbrick wrote:
Make sure you take the newer side, not the "old" Priest Grade. You won't have any problem at all, I did it not long ago with my 32' MH pulling a car. As you do down you can look across the canyon to the folks going down the old one. It's fun and not bad at all, just gear down to save your brakes. We've stayed at Yosemite Lakes, nice park.

2x on not going off on the right side where the old/new Priest run divide like we did. We made it in our 1992 32' P30 based MH in 2011 but it was pedal to the metal doing 15 MPH in first gear for four very long miles with the temp gauge 3 hairs from the red zone. We would have been in a heap for trouble had one plug wire failed or the cooling system had not been only five years old I expect. We went out the Fresno side which is a piece of cake way in and out.

aussy
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting enough...I have been up old priests grade more times than I can count and honestly would not have a problem(from a power perspective) trying the run up it with my TT and F-150 Ecobeast. I am not sure I would be able to make some of the turns. That being said, I think it defies good sense to actually try Old Priests grade with a TT for two reasons: 1. I can only imagine how much fuel I would use going up it. I would prob just watch the gas gauge drop as the turbos sucked the fuel. 2. It seems to me to be stupid to put that much unnecessary wear and tear on a vehicle if you don't have too assuming you can actually make all the curves.

There is no way in heck I would even think about going down Old Priests grade with an F-150 and a TT.

I appreciate the feedback since we just recently got into the TT/RV thing. We have not made very many trips let alone on those kinds of grades. The advice is well taken.