cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

prohibited food items going into Canada

jim_behr
Explorer
Explorer
We are going into Canada (Maritimes) next week and still are unsure what food items are prohibited crossing the border into Canada. Has anyone made the crossing recently? thanks for your help
17 REPLIES 17

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
The onion is a root crop. It's sort of: how can you be sure that ordinary washing will remove the soil and all the little nematodes it contains.

Check the stickys at the top of this section.

:C
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

slipstream43
Explorer
Explorer
We have gone over several times and each is different. We'll be going again next week. One oddity about food is that the Canadians will allow you to bring in meat provided it is still in it's original wrapping. For us, we would purchase 10 lbs of boneless, skinless chicken breasts and freeze them individually so we would only have to remove one or two at a time for cooking and it turns out that they could have taken them from us but they did not that time. Upon returning to the US I had forgotten that my wife had just purchased a green onion and a pepper the previous day to make a certain meal and when we crossed back into the US they took away the onion but let us keep the pepper.....the onion did not have a sticker on it but the pepper did.....I feel much safer now!

Have fun and enjoy the trip!
2000 Newmar MountainAire DP
2002 Honda CRV EX AWD

danoren
Explorer
Explorer
We crossed many times from Canada and back but each time the crossing was different,sometimes they did not remove a thing and sometimes different food items were removed-so I suggest you check out the latest official regulations HERE and act accordingly.
We try to cross the boarder with very limited food in the trailer.
Have a great "crossing"
F-350 ,2006,XLT,SD,LB,EC,6.0LT,Auto,SRW.
5W Cruiser 2006 CF29CK Crossroad
RVing 4-5 months every summer since 2002.
P.A,Escapee club memeber,TomTom Go 5606
Website