cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Question about buying an RV in Canada

JimMartin
Explorer
Explorer
Question about buying an RV in Canada and bringing it back to the US.

Looking at a RV that is in Trois-Rivieres, Quebec, Canada. I'm thinking about driving it back here to Atlanta, Ga.

Does anybody know what the process is for bringing a RV into the US? It's a US made RV 2007 Safari Simba and the odometer is in miles.
2003 Georgie Boy Pursuit 35', V10 F53 Chassis
10 REPLIES 10

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Scottiemom wrote:
We have a friend who bought a Beaver Motorcoach from a Canadian friend in Yuma. He said he would not do it again. According to him, Canada does not title RV's, so he had to have it properly titled in order to complete the purchase. That was a small nightmare. He did, however, get the job done.

Dale

Ive run across this situation many times before. It has nothing to do with where the item came from, the problem is WAY it came into the US.

I was personally involved in one such case when a friend of the family passed away while in Florida for the winter, the family thought they'd just sell the m/h right were it was.

The problem was the m/h was not imported into the US, it was brought in as a 'personal possession' of a tourist on a temporary basis.

In the end they decided the best way to handle the problem was to drive the unit back to Canada.

I know of someone else who bought a 5'er in Texas, since the Canadian trailer plate had no expiry they just left it like that until they went to Canada the next summer, on the way back in they properly imported the trailer. No problem after that.

JimMartin
Explorer
Explorer
JackD wrote:
That could the the RV you're looking at.HERE
With an odometer in miles and a thermometer in old Celcius, this RV was originally bought in the U.S.

There is no such thing as a ''title'' on any motor vehicle in Quรฉbec. The only thing you'll get is the vehicle registration that comes with the licence plate.
You can inquire HEREto make sure there are no liens on it.
With the low U.S-Can $$$ exchange rate, buying a motorhome in Canada makes a lot of sence.

Yes that's the one.

JackD
Explorer
Explorer
That could the the RV you're looking at.HERE
With an odometer in miles and a thermometer in old Celcius, this RV was originally bought in the U.S.

There is no such thing as a ''title'' on any motor vehicle in Quรฉbec. The only thing you'll get is the vehicle registration that comes with the licence plate.
You can inquire HEREto make sure there are no liens on it.
With the low U.S-Can $$$ exchange rate, buying a motorhome in Canada makes a lot of sence.

63-Coupe
Explorer
Explorer
Why don't you start with the people you will be dealing with at the border?

http://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-import-export/importing-car

icanon
Explorer
Explorer
PackerBacker wrote:
One thing that has to clear is any financial lean on the vehicle, i.e. any loan.

Good one. Forgot about that.
Loving wife and 2 beautiful daughters.
Chocolate Lab, Lily
2014 Dodge Ram Laramie Hemi 5.7 with 3.92
2014 Dutchmen Kodiak 290BHSL
ProPride 3P Hitch
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C
Love my Weber Q1200
Me a Happy man on retirement!!!

JimMartin
Explorer
Explorer
it's a 2007 Safari SIMBA motorhome. Private owner and he says he has the title in hand.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
As mentioned, here in Quebec there are no titles for any vehicle, the ownership is transacted via the vehicle registration (tag). One thing that has to clear is any financial lean on the vehicle, i.e. any loan.

icanon
Explorer
Explorer
When you say "RV" are you asking about Motorhome or Travel Trailer?
Also, I don't think there should be any problems due to Free Trade Agreement 'Produced in North America'.

I would call the dealer in Three Rivers and ask them how to go about it and they will supply you a I believe is a 10 day transit.

On the USA side call the border official's as they deal with this a lot. As for inspections (USA side) call either the dealer or manufacturer with model and serial number and ask if there are any recalls and ask them to email or fax a copy as you will need it prior entering the USA border. Other than what I mentioned there should be no problems.

One thing I forgot to mention is "Winter is Coming" (took that from Games of Thrones) so be prepared for travel conditions.

Good luck!
Loving wife and 2 beautiful daughters.
Chocolate Lab, Lily
2014 Dodge Ram Laramie Hemi 5.7 with 3.92
2014 Dutchmen Kodiak 290BHSL
ProPride 3P Hitch
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C
Love my Weber Q1200
Me a Happy man on retirement!!!

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
We have a friend who bought a Beaver Motorcoach from a Canadian friend in Yuma. He said he would not do it again. According to him, Canada does not title RV's, so he had to have it properly titled in order to complete the purchase. That was a small nightmare. He did, however, get the job done.

I'm not quite sure where you would go to get information on that. Perhaps a DMV close to the border would have done something like this and you could check there. If you are registering it in Georgia, I doubt the DMV there would know anything.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II