cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about FMT (tourist card)

Linda_Z
Explorer
Explorer
Have you been able to clarify the 180 day limit in a year? Confused because I have read that if you return to the border before your card reaches the end of the 180 days you can just turn it in and get another. We're going to be crossing at Tecate sometime at the end of December on our way to La Paz and crossing back over to the US sometime in May or June, returning to La Paz in October for the winter. I got the impression that as long as you didn't exceed the original 180 days then there was no problem getting a new card.

Thanks.

Linda Z
12 REPLIES 12

kca87
Explorer
Explorer
One more thing - when you get to some towns, particularly Constitucion, the road splits so there is a middle section and two side sections. The side sections are for those who want to stop and not go straight through town. If you stay in the middle, you'll do better. Cars from the right side will be turning left - but if you mind your place at the stop signs and traffic lights it looks weird but will be fine. That was the only thing that really threw us on our first trip.

kca87
Explorer
Explorer
How was your trip down this year? Any surprises from previous years?

Linda - it was so uneventful, I didn't even post a road report. The only surprises are how much work is being done on the roads and how greatly improved they are from previous years.

You will still find construction, but it is well marked and as long as you go slow in them, you'll be fine. Do not try to go too far your first day - some construction south of Ensenada held us up and getting to San Quintin was a good amount of travel.

Remember to you use your left blinker when you get to construction zones to let others pass so you can go the speed your motorhome and contents will allow. This relieves the stress of having cars pile up behind you.

When you get to Santa Rosalia through to about Constitucion, you may still find quite a bit of construction as the washouts from previous years are either washed out again after being fixed or never quite got fixed. They are also well marked - just watch the low spots because that's where most of them are.

The desert is absolutely spectacular - or at least it was the first of November after all the summer rains. If you didn't recognized the cardons peaking up out of all the foliage, you might not know you were in a desert especially near Loreto.

If it's your first trip, just take your time and enjoy the drive. It really is beautiful. And if you need an specifics or ideas for places to stay, just let me know. There are numerous spots down the Baja and even though we might think we are going to go 350 miles, we keep a few RV parks in mind that are less just in case construction holds us up or we're tired.

If you have MS Streets and Trips, I have a POI file of all the RV parks we've plotted, some of the banks that are easy to get to in an RV, and any specific places to be aware of or particularly easier routes through/beside some of the towns. Just let me know if you'd like it and I'll be glad to send it to you.

Most importantly have fun and enjoy the trip down. We'll be here whenever you need to get together for anything.

Linda_Z
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the information. We'll be crossing at Tecate, Char, following your advice (and that of others, too). How was your trip down this year? Any surprises from previous years?

Linda

kca87
Explorer
Explorer
When going up the Baja there are several places where you can turn in your tourist visa. I have done it and so has my family that visits here. It really is pretty simple but knowing where to go is the key depending on which border crossing back into San Diego you choose to take. You can also turn in your tourist visa in Ensenada along the route up. When the time comes to leave, give us a shout here in La Paz and I can show you on map and via Google earth where I and others have gone.

Also - I would like to give you some information beyond that which you received from the consulate in Texas about getting an FM3 - at least here the Baja. If you can get one, then you would turn in your FMM when you apply for your FM3 and that would all happen here in La Paz.

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
The joke of getting a tourist visa real quick after you have exited Mexico and turned all documents and calcomanias at the border prior to exiting is to spend a few days in the U.S. and then reentering Mexico.

Best is if you exit on one bridge or port and enter through a different one, I had friends that where studying at the University of the Americas and would go to Texas spend a week and turn arround and go back for another 180 days.

Whith the computers comming on line at more border crossings and check points it is better to addeere to the 180 limit and not press any luck, that of course is my oppinion, so we try not to rock the boat, we fisically count the days and try to leave a margin of error for a flat tire or other contingency.

navegator

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
The document is referred to as a Forma Migratoria Multiple or FMM.

What many migras do NOT want to see is someone walk into the office, turn in one FMM and ask for another. Beyond that it does not matter. There are no automobile permits required for the two states. Even USA license plates with expired registration tags are ignored.

There is an off-again, on-again immigration checkpoint at the 28th paralelo monument just north of Guerrero Negro. If it is in operation when you pass by a guy will come out and ask to see your FMM. You can not obtain your FMM there. It must be done at the border. They will also spray your wheels there, and ask for 10 pesos. If they ask for more, the remainder goes in their pocket.

kca87
Explorer
Explorer
Posted By wrote:
Also if the vehicle permit has the 180 days that the paperwork is turned over at the border, should you fail to do so you will be denied the entry permit for the vehicle and it may be conficated if the 180 days are past due.

Great information here about the 180 day visa except that since the travelers are going down the Baja, no need for the vehicle permit.

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
We have gotten the 180 day permit, returned to U.S. about 5 to 3 days prior to the expiration date, stayed a couple of days doing some shopping and returned to Mexico with a new 180 day permit.

You only get into trouble if you exceede the 180 days, so be shure that you count days and not think months, remember some months have 31 days and some have 30, so make shure the amount of DAYS are correct.

Also if the vehicle permit has the 180 days that the paperwork is turned over at the border, should you fail to do so you will be denied the entry permit for the vehicle and it may be conficated if the 180 days are past due.

navegator

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
I do know that all your information is entered into a networked computer!. They even scan your passport. That is fairly new. We turned in our FM3's and got FMT's. I asked about turning the FMT in when leaving Mexico in the spring. Yes was the answer. Last year I was told that it does not matter. I see no reason for them not to issue another right away. There is no 180 days limit per year. Just 180 at a time.

Moisheh

pomsplus
Explorer
Explorer
The link for 180 day permit applies to visitors to the US not Mexico tourist visas.

Ka_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
Check out this article on the 180 day rule

180 day rule... What is it?

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
No there should not be.