cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Question on frozen meat into Canada

Maurice45
Explorer
Explorer
I had my butcher package steaks and chops and freeze them for me in Cryo bags. He did not label each package. I now find that the regulation on the official website reads that each package is supposed to be labeled with contents. Can anyone tell me whether they actually look that closely into your rig to check package labels?
20 REPLIES 20

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
No wood, no seeded produce, questions answered in a straight forward manner, no inspection, no problem.

That was easy.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
free radical wrote:
Little Kopit wrote:
Wood, a couple of members have commented that they had wood and it was taken.

OF course, wood will always be taken. It always carries critters who can burrow into it.

In fact some states and provinces are taking steps to restrict the movement of wood from section of their territory to another part of their territory. One of our municipalities spent mega $ recently to cut down trees seen to have Dutch Elm disease. This transporting of cut wood is one of the ways such diseases get spread.

:C

I wonder just how effective these bans are,,after all bugs can fly
long distances anyways..

Not all bugs fly. And Not all bugs that burrow into wood to deposit larvae, live or eat fly. AND those that do fly can be territorial and live in a small geographic environment and those that don't often have short lifespans that preclude surviving a long trip. A few are wanderers and may get blown about by the wind and a few do migrate but I don't think those are the main concern.

I know it's hard for some to beleive but the Biologists and Entomologists actually know what they are doing when they make these kinds of rules.

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
Little Kopit wrote:

OF course, wood will always be taken. It always carries critters who can burrow into it.

In fact some states and provinces are taking steps to restrict the movement of wood from section of their territory to another part of their territory. One of our municipalities spent mega $ recently to cut down trees seen to have Dutch Elm disease. This transporting of cut wood is one of the ways such diseases get spread.

I wonder just how effective these bans are,,after all bugs can fly
long distances anyways..

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
bbaker2001 wrote:
we had gone up to port Angeles to cross over on the ferry. they took all the firewood.
we came back into Washington via British Columbia. when stopped at border they had us get out of truck, and they went through everything.
we had purchased steaks and hamburger at a local store. they took it all

You know the border guards need to eat too!!:)

MR_MAC
Explorer
Explorer
We took frozen meat (nice steaks) in separate plastic bags into Can. with no problem, But they took them from us coming back to US. (Holton Maine) They said if it was in the orig. store package with label it would have been OK.
ROBERT L MC INTYRE

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
should have said it was 5 yre ago we went
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal
best friend is my wife ๐Ÿ™‚

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer

& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

sljohnson1938
Explorer
Explorer
depends on what they want to eat that nite. wife says 'need hamburger ', then that is it.
1999 Dodge 3500 CTD dually
Ham radio - WU4S

Community Alumni
Not applicable
I'm really surprised they would take beef because poultry from Ontario is the only restriction now. There hasn't been beef issues for about 3 years going into the US.

.., Eric

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
we had gone up to port Angeles to cross over on the ferry. they took all the firewood.
we came back into Washington via British Columbia. when stopped at border they had us get out of truck, and they went through everything.
we had purchased steaks and hamburger at a local store. they took it all
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just came thru Canadian customs about 4 days ago. when the Canadian Customs agent asked me if we had any food with us I was honest and specific...this helps...and I told him we had some frozen meat and a few fresh vegetables all bought at Wal Mart in Bellingham...Knowing this and telling this seems to help. He said no worries on any of that he just wanted to know if we had any kind of fruit with a PIT in it.

Nope.

Oh By the way I said I have my Dog in the back of the pickup (who had been uncharacteristically quiet this whole time...

He asked if he had his vaccinations? YEP

Have a nice trip...

But I agree with bringing the meat. Meat in British Columbia is VERY expensive...and that is taking into account the currency difference in the Dollars.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
bbaker2001 wrote:
they only took our wood, but coming back into USA they took all our meat

Where (which crossing) and when did the US agents take the meat? What kind of meat was it?

.. Eric

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
they only took our wood, but coming back into USA they took all our meat
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
schlep1967 wrote:
You could always take a sharpie and label the meat. Beef Tips - 4/1/2016
Exactly. We vacuum pack venison, fish, pork, beef and lamb that are home raised, caught or hunted and mark with date, species, and cut (if we can't readily identify) such as "Pork Chops-Center cut-xx/xx/xxxx or Ground black bear-xx/xx/xxxx". We mark packages with a Sharpie. Never had a problem or question.

When we're traveling through Canada to or from Alaska we don't want to take the time to stop and shop. I'm traveling through, not staying any longer than that takes. Besides, the reason I have my own meat and fish with me is that I know the quality and source of such meat and fish.

A lot of these "confiscations" is based on the politics of the moment, and the border clowns then look at the published rules to see how they can then justify it. Remember the egg thing in 2015? US customs confiscated 3 eggs from us as we entered Alaska from Canada. We had receipts and package markings that proved the eggs were bought in DELAWARE at Walmart.
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus