cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rhode Island to Disney Wednesday 2/10

Pbois334
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, plan on taking 95 south but have some concerns with NYC. Towing a 26’ TT and wondering if I should attempt the George Washington Bridge? Also, can I take 287 and connect with the Garden State Parkway to avid the GW? I thought I read somewhere that I couldn’t tow on the Garden state? Looking for any advice as trip is coming faster than planned to avoid bad weather. Thank you
6 REPLIES 6

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Pbois334 wrote:
Just got back from the trip. Thanks for the tip. I took 287 to the Garden State and it was smooth sailing heading south . Now Baltimore and DC were another story. Ugh!!. May try the Chesapeake Bay tunnel route

We have enjoyed the RT 50 over the Bay Bridge then RT 301 North to avoid Baltimore and Some of 95 that is just not Fun - then Tapping Z North.

Bridge tunnel is interesting but IMHO not faster too much Eastern Non Interstate traffic.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Pbois334
Explorer
Explorer
Just got back from the trip. Thanks for the tip. I took 287 to the Garden State and it was smooth sailing heading south . Now Baltimore and DC were another story. Ugh!!. May try the Chesapeake Bay tunnel route

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ditto. Check the weather carefully before you depart.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
GWB is free going south. It would be the quickest way to get out of the snow storm. I sometimes go 81 and sometimes take the Chesapeake Bay Bridge/Tunnel but the fastest way is 95. It shows in NY and PA and I waited a day once when the bridge tunnel was closed to trucks and RVs because of wind.

Pbois334
Explorer
Explorer
Kind of on a time crunch In order to avoid a snowstorm in DC, Delaware Thursday am. Need to make it south on 95 in Virginia/ NC border on Wednesday. I have taken the the bay bridge tunnel in just a vehicle before and it’s a nice ride.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Non-commercial towing is allowed on the whole length of the Garden State Parkway, with a few weight and length restrictions that you aren't anywhere near hitting up against. There are also a few slightly low clearances in the righthand lanes, but I suspect those would not be a problem for most travel trailers.

I'd give strong consideration to taking I-287 to the GSP to the Cape May/Lewes Ferry, and thence to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge/Tunnel and on towards I-95 however seems most convenient. It's not the least expensive way to go (with tolls and fares), but you'll miss having to go through Philly, DC, and Richmond, VA, besides NYC. Reservations are required for the ferry, if memory serves.