cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

road altitudes

anon125
Explorer
Explorer
as our old RV (and us) don't like crossing mountains...
what is the lowest altitude going from the west coast to the east coast across the mountains.
i was told that I10 is flat but elpaso is 4000 ft up!
thanks all
43 REPLIES 43

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
I-10 in New Mexico at Lordsburg near the border of Arizona is 4250 elevation.
I-10 in Arizona at Wilcox (the highest in Arizona on I-10) is 4259 elevation.
I-10 at Tucson, west of Wilcox is 2643 elevation.

As you can see, the elevation 'climbs' on I-10 in Arizona are mild and very easy to drive.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

KO
Explorer
Explorer
Altitude in the southwest can be deceiving. The south rim of the Grand Canyon is at 7000' and the north rim is at 8000'. Bryce Canyon is around 8000-9000'.

I am sure you have seen pictures of people there but it does not appear to be so "high".

Your concern crossing the mountains should be about the grade and not the altitude. The I-10 grade is not noticable except there are are several grades that will get your attention for a short period of time. You will see a sign on I-10 notifying you are crossing the Contential Divide and are up around 4000' - but it comes at a complete surprise as the climb is so gradual.

There are other more pressing concerns when traveling out west - and wind is the one on my list that I watch. The wide expanse doesn't stop the winds and they can get pretty gusty. If in loose sand area sand storms are a real danger.

As for a grade to avoid - I would stay away from I-70 thru Colorado but it is one of the most beautiful drives in America.

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
You know I hate Mountain passes also as I have horrible fear of heights but I've taken 90 thru the Rockies and 80 and even 40 without issues at all because the roads are 3 and 4 lanes. What about taking 15 to 80, I haven't done that but it doesn't look bad at all lots of places to stop.

KO
Explorer
Explorer
I-10 crosses the Contential Divide in New Mexico at 4585 ft. It is a slow climb and does catch you by surprise when you get there.
I-10 in Arizona does get above 5000 ft.

JohnG3
Explorer
Explorer
anon125 wrote:
Quick trip wrote:
Try bringing up "Google Earth" and put your mouse arrow on where you are leaving from and start to drag the arrow along your proposed route.
This way you will see the elevation changes as you go!
The elevation shows up in the middle at the bottom of the page.
I hope this helps?
Good Luck & Drive Safe!

great - how do i get it to show more towns so i know where i am!
all i see is faint lines - maybe there is a map view and still have the altitudes.
thanks

Use the mouse wheel and zoom in to the desired level or in the upper right area there is a +/- bar that also allows you to zoom in and out.

I've used that feature many times to see the elevation of a pass or campground is.
John and Elaine. Furry ones, Bubba, Buddy, Barney and Miss Chevious
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 SP
Know guns, know safety, know peace. No guns, no safety, no peace.

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hey those are the fun roads that go to interesting places.

BK
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

tkranz
Explorer
Explorer
Grade is only a concern to me when it is beside the road I'm driving, with no guard rails, and nearly straight down for more than a coupled hundred feet!

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
PartyMarty wrote:
If you are talking interstates then I- 10 is the lowest , easiest .
Worst will be anything through Colorado .
I do not recall west texas as being anything of concern .

Definitely, it is more about local grade. People will drive across Kansas from Missouri to Colorado, climb 4000 feet and talk about how flat it was. They will go across southern Missouri on I-44, never get above 1100 feet or below 600 feet, but with short steep changes of 200-300 feet and talk about how they went through the Ozark mountains. There were no mountains on their route, just some short steep grades.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

artguys
Explorer
Explorer
I think what you're doing is over thinking listed elevations...as an example...if you drove from Houston to Denver the preferred route would be:
I 45 north to US287(just south of Dallas) all the way to Limon, Co. A elevation change of 5,000' and yet not encounter one grade...for the most part flat driving. When you see elevation listings for cities and towns rarely are there any immediate climbs to arrive at that location. You mentioned the El Paso elevation and seemed concerned with that, but there is no immediate grade/climb to get there.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
I-10 follows the lowest route across the country. But you will still see at least 4000 feet before you get to the Pacific Ocean. The highway and railroad pass east of El Paso is the lowest pass across the Rockies in the U.S. You'll be at 4000-5000 feet all the way from west Texas to Tucson.

I-40 you reach 5000 feet around the New Mexico - Texas line, run 6000-7500 feet across New Mexico and Arizona.

At I-70 you reach 5000 at Limon, Colorado, almost 4000 before you get out of Kansas, will see at least 11,000 before descending onto the Colorado Plateau to run at 5000-8000 feet.

At I-80 you reach 5000 around Laramie, cross Wyoming at 9000-1000 feet.

At I-90 your reach 5000 somewhere around Bozeman, because the highway stays in the Yellowstone valley a long way before trying to climb over the Rockies. I-90 stays lower than I-80 and I-70 by staying in valleys. You will still run at higher altitudes than on I-10 and have sections with significant grades crossing ridges between valleys.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

anon125
Explorer
Explorer
Quick trip wrote:
Try bringing up "Google Earth" and put your mouse arrow on where you are leaving from and start to drag the arrow along your proposed route.
This way you will see the elevation changes as you go!
The elevation shows up in the middle at the bottom of the page.
I hope this helps?
Good Luck & Drive Safe!

great - how do i get it to show more towns so i know where i am!
all i see is faint lines - maybe there is a map view and still have the altitudes.
thanks

artguys
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on your starting point...I10 no real issues other than the no name grade just east of Indio...I 40 is a breeze if you use Bakersfield to Barstow and catch I40 there. As for anything big their are just rollers from that point on.

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a gasser be aware the loss of power at altitude .......... have heard it is 4% per 1000 feet but cannot verify that; would believe it is accurate though.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Altitude should be based on more "rate of climb"
A gradual climb may not even be noticed until you see a sign. Surprise!

I agree with enblethen, I didn't know there were such altitudes in TX. It's a long way across from DFW to El Paso and even our antique rig didn't notice any grades and while driving it, I didn't think there were mountains on the I-10. In cooking it's "low and slow" on I-10 "long and gentle".
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II