cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roll Call Alaska 2014

sljohnson1938
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone traveling to Alaska in 2014? We ,my wife and I, are planning a trip and was wondering if anyone is planning on going in 2014 also.
Would go this year, except we have two weddings to go to in MI, one in late June the other in early August.
So next year we are planning to leave home in NC in mid July, we plan a 2 month trip. We were there in 2004, only that time we were with paid RV tour. Loved it, and would take another paid tour in a 'heart beat', but the cost is now too much.
The reason for the mid July date is looking at the 2013 Alaska postings the wx, road conditions and insects are at their worst. Later in the season all three are better. Plus I want to travel back on the Cassiar Hwy in Sept is supposed to be the best time of the year on the Cassiar, plus less travelers.
Finally, money is an issue with us. So we will 'boon dock', stay at
free or low cost CG's, rest areas, etc. when ever possible.

Hope you all have a great trip and hope to see you some where along the way.
1999 Dodge 3500 CTD dually
Ham radio - WU4S
1,645 REPLIES 1,645

Graydust
Explorer
Explorer
We would like to add our thanks for all of the information we "gleaned" from reading all the posts, both from Roll Call 2014 as well as 2013. Our trip would not have been as enjoyable if we had not learned from others' posts of their experiences and good times (and sometimes not so good). We had such a wonderful trip and enjoyed "meeting" new friends on these posts. We even got to meet a few of you in person! It was always fun to see a new posting and what someone had to share. If you are in the process of planning a trip in 2015 and want some good information - just ask! Thanks again! Rich & Mary

If you want to read our blog go to: richmaryalaska2014.blogspot.com

daily_double
Explorer
Explorer
I guess this thread is about dead. Thanks to all for their information this past year!!

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
Bump ... no not a frost heave, just a bump up on the thread list so folks don't lose track of all the info here.
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

Ernest
Explorer
Explorer
notlost wrote:
we're still in Telkwa...weather is beautiful (after so much rain on this trip, we are soaking in the sun!) also, we aren't ready to leave BC yet!

Ernest, we are in Fort Telkwa CG and it IS great. super electric (strong 50 amp) and also super wifi. the river is right below us and the owner is more than nice...
maybe we'll try Lac La Hache CG too.
Another CG that we found to be exceptional was the Wild Duck Motel and CG in Terrace, BC. cg was very clean, good wifi and electric and extremely nice and helpful)

Ernest, we met you briefly in Haines...we're friends with Lee and Donna (you helped him fix his 5th wheel)...glad you're home safe...

Yes we remember you. Glad you trip is going well and you like Fort Telkwa.
We're down here in Yellowstone having a great time..but boy the crowds are unbelievable. At least we didn't deal with any of that up north.

Go luck on you travel south. We've be dodging the snow the last few days.
Ernest & Joanne
2000 Tradewinds 300 CAT
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited
Travelingonthetradewinds.blogspot.com 2014 Alaska Blog
Travelingonthetradewinds1.blogspot.com 2017 South West Blog

notlost
Explorer
Explorer
we're still in Telkwa...weather is beautiful (after so much rain on this trip, we are soaking in the sun!) also, we aren't ready to leave BC yet!

Ernest, we are in Fort Telkwa CG and it IS great. super electric (strong 50 amp) and also super wifi. the river is right below us and the owner is more than nice...
maybe we'll try Lac La Hache CG too.
Another CG that we found to be exceptional was the Wild Duck Motel and CG in Terrace, BC. cg was very clean, good wifi and electric and extremely nice and helpful)

Ernest, we met you briefly in Haines...we're friends with Lee and Donna (you helped him fix his 5th wheel)...glad you're home safe...
Dominic & Sue Ambrosino
Fulltimers Travelin' the U.S.A.
"All who wander are Not Lost"
2005 Beaver Patriot Thunder 42',Cat 525

sheltieRV
Explorer
Explorer
Well we are home. Fantastic trip but need to figure out how to extend the summer (global warming possibly).

996 gallons of Diesel (ok, round to 1,000)
10,940 miles
tons of pictures

Some interesting damage to the rig, but it held up. We had no major issues, and no tire issues (can't decide if it was the Maxxis tires, Correct Track Alignment system, slow speed, or a combination of those).

Now returning to our normal scheduled life program....

daily_double
Explorer
Explorer
We crossed over in Oroville today, sunny and ~70 degrees . The cheapest diesel we found was in Vanderhoof B.C. at 1.359 per litre. In YakIma it's 4.19 per gal. They were very nice at the border, only took 1 potato and 2 tomatoes. Only took a few minutes for inspection but the line was long.

traveylin
Explorer
Explorer
We crossed at Oroville also and were totally enthralled by the amount of fruit orchards on both sides of the border. Had a conversation with the police chief of Oroville at a wine and music evening. He was a great guy, played second guitar.
Fresh fruit from a road side stand is many times better than store bought.

Paid 3.09 for gas in Roswell today. It was great. 600 miles to go

Pops

krlgswanson
Explorer
Explorer
Ernest wrote:
We crossed in the USA at Oroville, Washington. So I guess we need to take our Roll Call sign down. We had zero problems and no delay. Only ran into 2 other Roll Callers and that was a life time ago in Valdez.
If anybody is still up there; there is a great campground in Telkwa (Fort Telkwa Riverfront RV $28.00)with a free wash and great Wi-Fi and Internet. Down the road in Lac La Hache was Big Country Campground & RV. $28 too and great Wi-Fi and 5 TV channels. The owners of both of these facilities were great. Truly refreshing.

Glad you made it back to the lower 48 Ernest. We are leaving Fairbanks tomorrow, will spend the night in Tok and then head down to Seattle. Only trouble we had were some loose screws on the RV cabinets and a rock chip while travelling in Denali.
Ken Swanson
2003 Winnebago Brave
2007 Jeep Liberty
2005 Honda Metropolitan

Ernest
Explorer
Explorer
We crossed in the USA at Oroville, Washington. So I guess we need to take our Roll Call sign down. We had zero problems and no delay. Only ran into 2 other Roll Callers and that was a life time ago in Valdez.
If anybody is still up there; there is a great campground in Telkwa (Fort Telkwa Riverfront RV $28.00)with a free wash and great Wi-Fi and Internet. Down the road in Lac La Hache was Big Country Campground & RV. $28 too and great Wi-Fi and 5 TV channels. The owners of both of these facilities were great. Truly refreshing.
Ernest & Joanne
2000 Tradewinds 300 CAT
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited
Travelingonthetradewinds.blogspot.com 2014 Alaska Blog
Travelingonthetradewinds1.blogspot.com 2017 South West Blog

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
Even in Colorado--snow above 10,000 ft. statewide on Thursday. A Canadian cold front is dipping south (from Calgary), with a low of 41 degrees and a high of 59 predicted for Denver on Friday.

The snow may have an effect on aspen viewing in the high country and make for some sloppy driving for late-season RVers. But then we usually have a month or more of Indian summer with warm days, cool nights, and beautiful clear blue skies.

However, in 2013 we experienced the driest summer in Alaska that I have seen in 40 years and the summer of 2014 was one of the wettest on record in Colorado. So, what will fall bring? Hopefully not a repeat of last year's very rare September Colorado floods! But, with what is happening right now in Arizona and Nevada, who knows?
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

Kidoo
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, snow is already there, this is a really short season.
Monaco Cayman 34 2003, Cummins 300HP
Bigfoot 2008, 10.4, F350, 2006, Diesel 6.0, Black, 4x4, long box, Air lift, Rancho 9000, Rear sway bar.

sheltieRV
Explorer
Explorer
Back in the US!

We heard snow was heading to Calgary this week, so we hightailed it to Columbia Falls Montana, weather is perfect about 80 degrees today. We did the 22/3/93 drive which was very pretty and light traffic, highly recommend it.

Border was easy, these border guys worry me though. They are supposed to be keeping bad people and things out of the country, yet he decided to lecture me that the avocados I have need to be eaten before I get to California!

So if you are near Montana, watch out I am heavily armed with avocados and I am not afraid to use them! (you bring the chips though).

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
And Muncho Lake too
http://www.metcam.navcanada.ca

September 7 in the morning...

Here's the version that will update automatically for comparison

sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!