cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roll Call Alaska 2014

sljohnson1938
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone traveling to Alaska in 2014? We ,my wife and I, are planning a trip and was wondering if anyone is planning on going in 2014 also.
Would go this year, except we have two weddings to go to in MI, one in late June the other in early August.
So next year we are planning to leave home in NC in mid July, we plan a 2 month trip. We were there in 2004, only that time we were with paid RV tour. Loved it, and would take another paid tour in a 'heart beat', but the cost is now too much.
The reason for the mid July date is looking at the 2013 Alaska postings the wx, road conditions and insects are at their worst. Later in the season all three are better. Plus I want to travel back on the Cassiar Hwy in Sept is supposed to be the best time of the year on the Cassiar, plus less travelers.
Finally, money is an issue with us. So we will 'boon dock', stay at
free or low cost CG's, rest areas, etc. when ever possible.

Hope you all have a great trip and hope to see you some where along the way.
1999 Dodge 3500 CTD dually
Ham radio - WU4S
1,645 REPLIES 1,645

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Smitty,

There's still Hyder as the last Alaska stop.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Smitty77
Explorer
Explorer
We've been off grid for awhile too, good to catch up on the 2014 Clan!

Left Valdez (Pop's, if you're in a Class C without a toad, I think we pulled in next to you in the Bear Paws II on the harbor, the day before you left. Would have said 'Hi!' if I had caught on...) a few days ago. Valdez was a nice visit, even with many days of rain:)!

We drove to Tok stopping long enough for Post Office General Delivery pickup, and topped of the fuel at the Chevron. I'll admit that we blew it, as we had eaten a bit more of a 'light snack' then we had planned along our drive, so we did not have any room for Fast Eddie's! We really enjoyed the drive in/out Valdez, one longer stretch was dirt and pilot car as we came in, and complete and fresh as we drove out. Yes, still some frost heaves, bumps, and noise the stretch from Glennallen to Valdez, but not too bad compared to say Taylor going into Chicken. The stretch from Glennallen to Tok was great scenery. I felt it was a rougher then the Valdez loop. But, as commented many times by the ALCAN area vets, going the appropriate speeds for the conditions, and it's all good! I passed no one, and pulled over and let anyone that came behind pass us. (I look at the road ahead, and when I feel it is safe, I pull over and slow down with my indicator light on, and let them go on by. I do this after two or three passes that were not wise, requiring hard braking on my part to let them cut in.)

One tip, if anyone wants to break up the ride into Valdez. We stayed in Squirrel Creek Alaskan Recreation campground. A few nice spots right on the creek, as you come in hang a left. We did a day drive from Valdez to the Trail of 98 for a day hike, and drove thru Blueberry Campground too. Looks like it has had recent work, as it was very nice. Both of these places have spots that can handle larger rigs, but the luck of the draw on if those will be open if you want to pull in.

We ended up not staying in Tok, as we were not tired and had lots of the day ahead of us. So we headed South and crossed the border, stopping in Beaver Creek.

We left Beaver Creek early, and went thru the rough sections and roadwork down to just about Destruction Bay. (We added a few more nicks to the coach and toad paint, and broke not one, but both toad's fog lights. Even pulled over and stopped, the construction trucks blew by us fast enough on the long stretches of gravel repair area, to get us pretty good. Though I think it was our tag tire passenger tire that probably knocked out the passenger side fog light. You just never know when or where it could happen, and all part of the experience!

We decided not to run in all the way to Haines that day, dry camping on a nice cut out about 25KM South of Haines Junction. Asphalt pull out area, with a large Kluane wood sign. It looks over Kathleen lake, and has a marker about the four parks coming together as one. Got a bit windy, and the wife woke up for a 6.0 quake about 30KM away. Stopping hear, made a short drive into Haines the next day.

Enjoying Haines for awhile, and we'll spend time in two parks here, so will update when we're done and heading out to Whitehorse next week.

My wife commented how it was kind of sad to leave Alaska, even though we did step back in to get into Haines. Yes, we have lots to still see and enjoy as we work our way down Casier over the weeks ahead - but a big WOW! about Alaska...

Those of you still working your way North, wish we could join you!!

Travel safe, have fun,
Smitty

mclee47
Explorer
Explorer
Stranded in Palmer. Had emergency surgery at Mat-Su Regional for burst gall bladder on Sat and still in hospital. Likely will need another procedure to drain abcess. Wife & 2 grandsons at Town & Country RV Park. On Wed brakes failed on Jeep and no fix until Monday. I amt furious at Jeep. Seems part was under "silent recall" - fix if customer complains during warranty. After that not covered. Not only did brake failure put wife in danger, but it has left us stranded w/o transportation at a critical time.
Lee, KV5M
2018 Winnebago View
Huntsville, TX

Ernest
Explorer
Explorer
thomasw wrote:
We came across the Top of the World Highway on Monday going west from Dawson to Chicken. Great Trip!! It was a beautiful sunny day and it seemed you could see forever. The trip on the ferry was a breeze, although there was about a 2 hour wait because of the number of RVs. The TOW to the border was in relatively good shape. From the border to the Eagle junction the road is being paved. Those going east have a beautiful new hard surface to ride on. The Taylor highway from there is pretty sketchy: narrow and dirt/rock, but a fun adventure. The road from Chicken into Tok is ok with some breaks, but mostly paved. A great adventure and I highly recommend it!

Thanks Thomas...just the post we have been looking for. We're down in F
Fort Nelson headed your way....probably 5-6 days behind.
Thanks Again
Ernest & Joanne
2000 Tradewinds 300 CAT
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited
Travelingonthetradewinds.blogspot.com 2014 Alaska Blog
Travelingonthetradewinds1.blogspot.com 2017 South West Blog

thomasw
Explorer
Explorer
If you are in Dawson on your trip, take the Robert Service Hike provided by Parks Canada if you have the chance, especially if you can get Andrew. He does a fantastic job...really enjoyed the experience!
Tom & Kathy
(and Coco the Maltese)
2006 Fleetwood Flair 33R
2006 Jeep Commander

thomasw
Explorer
Explorer
We came across the Top of the World Highway on Monday going west from Dawson to Chicken. Great Trip!! It was a beautiful sunny day and it seemed you could see forever. The trip on the ferry was a breeze, although there was about a 2 hour wait because of the number of RVs. The TOW to the border was in relatively good shape. From the border to the Eagle junction the road is being paved. Those going east have a beautiful new hard surface to ride on. The Taylor highway from there is pretty sketchy: narrow and dirt/rock, but a fun adventure. The road from Chicken into Tok is ok with some breaks, but mostly paved. A great adventure and I highly recommend it!
Tom & Kathy
(and Coco the Maltese)
2006 Fleetwood Flair 33R
2006 Jeep Commander

Prairie_Wandere
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all ! Started our dream trip from southern Minnesota last Tuesday and tonight arrived in Watson Lake. Staying at Downtown RV till tomorrow. Saw beautiful scenery and lots of wildlife on our jaunt from Fort Nelson. Even stopped for delicious cinnamon rolls at Tetsa River. Tomorrow we hope to get up in the Whitehorse area. Heading to Anchorage to be there for the birth of our first grandchild.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, I guess thats it for us. Currently in Grand Prairie after passing through Dawson Creek southbound today. Been off grid for awhile after spending nights at provincial parks Prophet Creek, Muncho Lake & Watson Lake. Having true darkness again is a treat.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

traveylin
Explorer
Explorer
leaving Valdez after staying for a week. Valdez will be one of out favorite stops for ever. west to Seward

pops

Ernest
Explorer
Explorer
Well we final made it to Dawson Creek. Mile "0" of the Alaskan highway. It took us two weeks to get here from PA thru West Glacier NP then up thru the Ice Fields Parkway.
Some Vital statistics
3,500 miles on the MH
500 miles on the Toad
20 plus Bears
5 mothers with cubs
2 Elk in velvet
20 Elk females
1 herd of Sheep
10 goats 2 kids
1 Eagle pair
1 rafting trip on the middle fork of the flathead river in Glacier
2 forest fire's
15 days of sun...0 days of rain
2,000 photos

I know we're bringing up the rear but hope to see a few of you on the way; either way.

Pictures are up on the blog in our Signature
Ernest & Joanne
2000 Tradewinds 300 CAT
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited
Travelingonthetradewinds.blogspot.com 2014 Alaska Blog
Travelingonthetradewinds1.blogspot.com 2017 South West Blog

daily_double
Explorer
Explorer
We are in Seward today and went salmon fishing. Fishing was slow but it was a beautiful day and the scenery from the boat was great.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Only one ship can dock at Haines and it's further from the downtown area. Therefore more cruisers stay on the ship.

Throughout Alaska and Canada you'll encounter cruisers. The high end cruise ship busses take the high end cruisers (I could not resist) to the cruise ship high end resorts. Yup the cruise ships own the resorts where they take the cruisers for another experience including the opportunity to spend more money.

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Only one ship can dock at Haines and it's further from the downtown area. Therefore more cruisers stay on the ship.

Throughout Alaska and Canada you'll encounter cruisers. The high end cruise ship busses take the high end cruisers (I could not resist) to the cruise ship high end resorts. Yup the cruise ships own the resorts where they take the cruisers for another experience including the opportunity to spend more money.

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
We choose the waterfront view of Oceanside. Yes the sites are small but we had or 42' in one and what a great view!

We really enjoyed the NPS tour in Skagway and all of the history. NPS owns 6 historic buildings in Skagway.

Skagway like Juneau has multiple ship capacity and Caribbean jewelry stores. As in the same products and the same people with their white shirt and tie. If you like that and the crowds from 5-6 ships then...

Bob

Kidoo
Explorer
Explorer
We where in Seward for two days. One night at the town Campground by the beach and one night by the river near Exit Glacier, you can stay up to 8 days free on that road to the glacier according to the sign on the bridge once you get to the national forest.

Nice day today, the sun is up, we went to Hope, rustic village by the bay, not much, but a nice campground at the end of the road with very nice view of the Turnagain Arm. Then we went to Girdwood ski area, yep, check.

Now in Anchorage, we will finalized our gift shopping tomorow then heading to Valdez.
Monaco Cayman 34 2003, Cummins 300HP
Bigfoot 2008, 10.4, F350, 2006, Diesel 6.0, Black, 4x4, long box, Air lift, Rancho 9000, Rear sway bar.