cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Roll Call Alaska 2015

trcgolf
Explorer
Explorer
I know its early but we have been planning for the past 3 months. I know its another 15 months at least till we leave but we are just going crazy...
So here is our very rough plan overview. Leave mid June from western NY; travel west up through Ill., Wis., Min., ND, into Canada.
Diagonally across Saskatch. and Alberta, BC, and YT...
Our first destination is Fairbanks, via Top of the World Highway... thinking of doing the Dempster to the Arctic Circle. I know there will many stops... some short, some long but all will be great.
Fairbanks to Homer with the obligatory Denali stop for a few days.
Homer to Portland Or; Oregon to San Fran; San Fran to home via the Northern US.

We have so much planning yet to do but reading all the Roll Call posts in 2013, and 2014 just keeps us going. Started to plan finances which brings us to the first major question.
I have heard all the diesel advantages and draw backs of the gas engines. We invested in a 32' fifth wheel and 2013 GMC 2500 HD with 6.0L Crew 4x4. The fiver weighs about 8K empty, I would guess 10,500 loaded. ( I will get that checked for sure)Brand new to Rving

The truck is my every dayer.... need the 4 wheel drive here in winter. The decision with gas was pure economics. A Cummins diesel and matching tranny was $9500 more. Doing the math it was going to take a bunch of miles to save enough in mileage to pay for the increase in price. About 100000 mile by my calculation. We not going to be full timers; one long trip a year to Florida.
Traveling around NY and Pa and maybe Florida, that all makes sense but going on a trip like this, I am not so sure gas was the way to go. So I am asking for those who used a truck like mine to haul a fifth wheel through Canada...Alaska...et al... What kind of mileage can I expect? Sorry for the novelette...I will get better at this.

Edited to add 'Alaska' within the title.
2013 GMC 2500 HD
6.0 L Crew 4x4
Crossroads Zinger
715 REPLIES 715

richarfg
Explorer
Explorer
NewallaBus wrote:
richarfg wrote:
I don't know how many people do this, but I just had two new steering tires placed on my coach. Even though the DOT date is beyond the supposed life of the tires, I decided to put them on the roof of the coach, and intend to carry them in that position up to Alaska. My reason? If it were to take some time to get a replacement tire, should I encounter a road hazard or blow-out; I could much easier find someone who could mount the tire in a timely fashion than waiting on a new tire. Is this overkill?

Since a 285/80/22.5 tire, according to the Michelin Man, weights 112.5 pounds, how did you get them up there, and how will you get them down? How did you mount a 22.5 inch tire to the top of your RV? How will you keep it from pouncing/pounding on your roof for 8k to 10k miles to Alaska and back? I have read Alaska RV blogs for years, can't remember reading a post about a 22.5 tire failing. I'm sure there has been some, but I think your chances of a flat tire on a properly inflated and serviceable (for the trip) tire is less than the chance of structural damage to your coaches roof.
Richard

Brother Newalla, I'm a Marine...I can do anything! Yes, I even thought it was kinda nuts to do it, but I think it's probably safe. I have a Newmar Mountainaire, and I weigh 225 lbs...I have walked the roof without any structural damage to the coach, and I believe it will be fine.

Kidoo
Explorer
Explorer
richarfg wrote:
I don't know how many people do this, but I just had two new steering tires placed on my coach. Even though the DOT date is beyond the supposed life of the tires, I decided to put them on the roof of the coach, and intend to carry them in that position up to Alaska. My reason? If it were to take some time to get a replacement tire, should I encounter a road hazard or blow-out; I could much easier find someone who could mount the tire in a timely fashion than waiting on a new tire. Is this overkill?

I think it is a very good idea and not overkill at all, I allways brought two spare tires on my trips to AK with the Truck camper, one mounted, the other one on the roof. I bring many plugs with a flat repair kit to do it myself if I have to and an air compressor.

Your old tires are probably still good for many years anyway if they do not show signs of wear or cracks. Depending on the size and on where you are, it could take many days to get a tire. If you are stuck on the side of the road, it could mean having to tow the RV.

Here is a few incident I had. I had a blow out in Cortez Colorado last month on a friday afternoon on the RV (Class A), it allways happens on a friday, in the boonies. I drove with the blown tire for about 10 miles to get to the town, I realized after that the tire was rubbing on the suspension air balloon, luky I did not blew the balloon.

There was only two tire shops doing big tires, Cortez is like 40 miles or so to the next good size town. One shop did not have the tire and could not get one before monday at the soonest, but not of the same brand as mine and way too expensive. The other had tow tires on hand but not really the brand I liked, not the brand I would have installed back home anyway. I did not want to wait for the 3 to 4 days so I finally bought the tire. While dismantling the tires, they found another tire with bad cracking, so I had to buy two tires which I installed at the steering. The shop also said I could not install a brand new tire with a half worn one on a 2 wheel rear set-up since the new one would wear down too fast as it was not riding at the same height.

The shop was able to replace big tires on truck and RV but did not have a machine to take the tires apart, also, the garage was not big enough to take the RV inside. So they did the job outside using crow bars to dismantle the tire from the rims and re-install. This tells me that the job could be done on the side of the road without a tire machine. So your tire could come very handy.

One time in Tok AK, I had a tire going bad, it begun to sway because of a broken wire. Lukily, I had a tire on my roof, it took half an hour and I was back on the road.

Another occasion, right in the middle of the Denali Highway gravel road,I stopped for sight seeing on the side of the road and heard a puisshssss. I had to use 4 plugs to temporaly fix the leak, otherwise I would of had to use the spare tire and left with no mounted spare for the next 60 miles. Getting a towing in this area is probably very very expensive.

Bring the tires, bring plugs, bring a compressor, have a good trips
Monaco Cayman 34 2003, Cummins 300HP
Bigfoot 2008, 10.4, F350, 2006, Diesel 6.0, Black, 4x4, long box, Air lift, Rancho 9000, Rear sway bar.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
This is a spare tire solution by another RVer, just the tire so that's it's available if needed.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Fer2005
Explorer
Explorer
"I have read Alaska RV blogs for years, can't remember reading a post about a 22.5 tire failing. I'm sure there has been some, but I think your chances of a flat tire on a properly inflated and serviceable (for the trip) tire is less than the chance of structural damage to your coaches roof. "

I actually blew a tire, 22.5, last year before we got out of Wisconsin! Thankful we got a tire and were on our way the next day!
2009 Winnebago Journey 39Z
2012 Ford Taurus Toad

NewallaBus
Explorer
Explorer
richarfg wrote:

Since a 285/80/22.5 tire, according to the Michelin Man, weights 112.5 pounds, how did you get them up there, and how will you get them down? How did you mount a 22.5 inch tire to the top of your RV? How will you keep it from pouncing/pounding on your roof for 8k to 10k miles to Alaska and back? I have read Alaska RV blogs for years, can't remember reading a post about a 22.5 tire failing. I'm sure there has been some, but I think your chances of a flat tire on a properly inflated and serviceable (for the trip) tire is less than the chance of structural damage to your coaches roof.
Richard

richarfg
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
I keep one of these in the truck:

Tire patch kit

and one of these:

Air compressor

You never know when you will need it, two flats for example. Of course I have never managed to catch a flat on the trailer/fver before the tire was ruined.

Thanks Ages...Since the tires are 22.5", I don't see myself breaking it down to patch. I have bought a plug kit for the occasion, but hopefully never happens. I also have a pancake compressor. The only thing I don't have, in case of a blow-out is a jack to handle the weight of the coach...although I guess I could use the hydraulic levelers in a crunch.
Well that's not exactly true with the TPMS I did catch one very early, the pressure had just dropped 10 psi or so. It had a nail in it and was patched.

richarfg
Explorer
Explorer
sue.t wrote:
If the tire goes flat 200 miles from a major centre, you'll appreciate having the tires on your roof.

In Whitehorse, it can take a few days to get a special tire ordered in, so again, you'd appreciate having the spares.

Thanks Sue.t....It helps me to know someone doesn't think I'm nuts!

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
I keep one of these in the truck:

Tire patch kit

and one of these:

Air compressor

You never know when you will need it, two flats for example. Of course I have never managed to catch a flat on the trailer/fver before the tire was ruined.

Well that's not exactly true with the TPMS I did catch one very early, the pressure had just dropped 10 psi or so. It had a nail in it and was patched.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
If the tire goes flat 200 miles from a major centre, you'll appreciate having the tires on your roof.

In Whitehorse, it can take a few days to get a special tire ordered in, so again, you'd appreciate having the spares.
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

richarfg
Explorer
Explorer

SBradley
Explorer
Explorer
You are welcome; I will check back from time to time if you have questions use Private Message and I will try to find answers.
S Bradley
Navion IQ 24V

Ol_coot
Explorer
Explorer
Carrera glider
Thanks for all the info. Read and reread all of it and expect to refer back to it often.

Thanks again

Fer2005
Explorer
Explorer
cdbinns wrote:
Carrera glider wrote:
Western Route in Canada begins in Washington.

Most scenic route Hope to Prince George

Cassiar
Cassiar on your way to or back from, great two lane rd., I drove it last September much more scenic than Dawson Cr. very little construction. ......

Carrera glider - thanks so much for providing all this information. I am sure it will be helpful to many of us that are Alaska bound this summer. Maybe we will see you on the road...

- Celina

What she said!
2009 Winnebago Journey 39Z
2012 Ford Taurus Toad

cdbinns
Explorer
Explorer
Carrera glider wrote:

Cassiar
Cassiar on your way to or back from, great two lane rd., I drove it last September much more scenic than Dawson Cr. very little construction. ......

Carrera glider - thanks so much for providing all this information. I am sure it will be helpful to many of us that are Alaska bound this summer. Maybe we will see you on the road...

- Celina

SBradley
Explorer
Explorer

Cassiar
Cassiar on your way to or back from, great two lane rd., I drove it last September much more scenic than Dawson Cr. very little construction. The only pavement breaks were near Dease Lake, BC, very short breaks I think the longest about 1/4 mile.  Plenty of places to pull off to do a little hiking, fishing, camping.
I saw 6 black bears at the end of the day in a twenty mile stretch so be careful if traveling at night.

Side trips
Small camp grounds.
Lakes to camp access to fishing or canoe.
Water Falls and Glaciers.
Stewart small community kind of a long side trip plus must retrace route.

Heading to Alaska
I would take rte 3 to 5 North from Hope to Kamloops cross back over to rte 1 then on to Prince George then on to the Cassiar by passing the Frasier River Canyon on the way to Alaska.
Connects: Yellowhead Hwy. to Alaska  Hwy.
Route#: BC Highway 37
Length: 450 miles
saves about 130 miles/210 km. off the Alaska Hwy

On the way back down from Alaska take the Frasier River Canyon rte. to Hope.
Frasier River/Canyon is a must see. Very steep grade but down hill going South, take a little time stop and take in the sights.

Tok, Dawson, Top of the World Hwy, Whitehorse, Haines Jct. loop is one of our favorite trips.

For you it would start at Whitehorse Yukon, Klondike Highway.

Yukon things to do:
Dawson City -Apr 02, 05 2015. Film festival
Dawson City - June 13, 2015 Commissionerโ€™s Ball at Dawson City's renowned Palace Grand Theatre. Get decked out in all your finest and step back in time.
Dawson City - Jun 20, 2015, National Aboriginal Day with outdoor events including the Hรคn Singers, live contemporary music, tours, activities, refreshments and an opportunity to visit our heritage galleries.
Dawson City - July 24-26, 2015 Music Festival
Dawson City - July 4, 2015 Yukon Gold Panning Championships
Haines Junction - June 12-14, 2015 Mountain Bluegrass Festival
Whitehorse - Jun 12, 2015 Sunstroke Music Festival Kwanlin Dun Cultural Centre
Atlin - Jul 10-15 2015 Annual arts and music festivals

Expect to see:
Caribou, wolves and grizzly bears and millions of migratory birds. Lynx, coyotes, foxes, Moose. Scan the landscape for movement. Wildlife are more active in early morning and evening. Fishing and camping

I would take this the Northern route if you intend to see some of Canada on the way to Alaska.

Whitehorse to Tok Northern route

Klondike Hwy
Whitehorse to Dawson - Klondike Hwy good Hwy 330 miles.

Side trips:

Canoe / Kayak the Yukon river Whitehorse to Dawson 15 - 17 days
Five finger rapids - 2 1/2 โ€“ 3 1/2 hours paddling time downstream from Carmacks, and is not particularly challenging if run right. check this web site for more information:.
https://yukon1000.com/new/5fingers.php
There are a few Youtube videos running to see 5 finger rapids.

Silver Trail
Whitehorse to Stewart Crossing, then east on the Silver Trail to the historic frontier mining towns of Mayo and Keno.
Highway #11.
Head to Mayo; Visit Binet House in Mayo to plan activities in the area.
Keno; to visit the Keno City Mining Museum, a collection of mining artifacts.

Dempster Highway
Take a detour on to the Dempster Hwy visit Tonestone Territorial park or head further North to the Arctic Circle.
Tombstone Territorial Park, hiking,
Camping - Tombstone, Engineer Creek or Rock River campgrounds
Dempster accommodations Eagle Plains near the Arctic Circle
Cross the Arctic Circle
Inuvik far North City

Dawson City
http://dawsoncity.ca/itineraries/sourdough-challenge-bucket-list/ Dawson City
Museum, also a Train Museum
Robert Service, home; The Cremation of Sam McGee; a must read for a trip to Dawson City.
Visit the Dredge No. 4, maybe pan for a little gold.
Dรคnojร  Zho Cultural Centre
Diamond Tooth Gerties, Canadaโ€™s oldest gambling hall good food, nice show and lots of fun.
Visit the Dome above Dawson for a view the area.
Campgrounds:
Dawson City RV Park & Campground
Goldrush Campground
Bonanza Gold
Yukon River from Dawson City - Government campground

Top of the World Highway, to Tailer Highway, to Tok.
Highway is a misnomer it is a mostly gravel road.
Cross the river from Dawson, the ferry is free.
The highway is mostly unpaved but is in reasonable condition as long as you take your time.
Cross the border on top of the mountains not quite half way. Spend time at least one over night camping. There are a couple camp grounds but you can find a place to pull out if you like.

Chicken Gold Camp
Tok River - 43 sites
BLM -
West Fork Campground MP 49 - 25 sites
Walker Fork Campground MP 82 - hidden from the rd.
The entire trip can easily be done in a day itโ€™s only about 187 miles to Tok.

See relics of the Gold Rush en route. A dredge abandoned near the Highway. The old lodge at Boundary, burned down 2011.
Chicken is a small community about 1/2 way.
Visit the historic dredges, have a bite to eat.
Chickenstock Music Festival โ€“ June 14-15?
Chicken - Tisha's School House via Taylor Hwy or Top of the World Hwy
Chicken has Fuel if necessary it will be expensive.

Alaska

I read were people want to travel the Dalton Hwy on these forums, I would not suggest it. The road is traveled by 18 wheelers that are on a mission and do not drive slowly (broken windshields). If it rains the road turns into a muddy mess. Joyceโ€™s trip up they went through three tires. There are very few services.
If it is a dream of yours to cross the Arctic Circle I would use the Dempster Hwy in Canada. Less traffic and if you are going to Dawson you are almost there.

Fairbanks

We donโ€™t live in Fairbanks so most of our time up there is as a tourist doing tourist things.
We have done a couple of float trips up North this is a great site for guided trips. Some are very mild and can be done without a guide others not so mild should be guided.
http://www.alaska.org/things-to-do/rafting-toursI
Chena Hot Springs - not as well kept as it use to be but still a side trip.
University of Alaska Museum of the North
Fairbanks Museum and Planetarium
Pioneer Parks - Alaska Native Museum

Fairbanks Community Museum,
Pioneer Air Museum,
Fountainhead Antique Auto Museum,
Tanana Valley Railroad Museum.
Or go at your own pace with a self-guided walking tour of history or art in downtown Fairbanks.
http://www.alaska.org/destination/fairbanks/attractions

Fairbanks to Denali National Park on the Parks Highway
Denali National Park
Take a float trip it is well guided and fun for all ages.
http://www.alaska.org/detail/nenana-river1
Your choice of Oar Rafts or Paddle Rafts.

Denali National Park - Usually a must for tourist. You can drive in a short distance in your car/RV. If you have camp ground reservations you can drive into the camp ground and use the buses to get around.
They generally do not allow private vehicles. Ride the school buses that parks provides. There are commercial operators as well, probably more comfortable.
Campgrounds North and South of the Park
The Perch Restaurant, Bar and Cabins - this is one of the best restaurants in the area, small out of the way up on a little hill. The food was fantastic.
There are other restaurants in the area but we tend to always go back to what we like.

Further down the highway: Past Cantwell about 63 miles.
Byers Lake - Campground 73 sites

Denali Highway
Side trip: Is at Cantwell which is a little town just as you cross the bridge exiting the canyon.
The original access to Denali Highway, most people skip this road in favor of the more established paved highways.
Generally open from mid-May to October 1; Denali Highway guidebook available over-the-counter for $10 each at BLM's Glennallen Field Office during weekday hours or you can order your copy by calling the Glennallen Field Office at (907) 822-3217. You may be able to order ahead of time if you are interest. I am not sure if you can pick one up in Cantwell.
130 miles,  connects Cantwell on the Parks Highway to Paxon on the Richardson Highway. Rough road, slow going, weather is unpredictable it can snow even in the summer but doesn't usually last.
One way to connect up to McCarthy / Kennicott or you can continue South on the Parks Highway to Anchorage and points South.

Some services are available along the Denali Highway businesses come and go, fuel up before you start make sure your tires are in good shape.
Camping - Tangle Lakes - great place to canoe or kayak
Good info.
http://www.blm.gov/ak/st/en/fo/gdo/denali_highway_points.html

Side trip: McCarthy-Kennicott

This is a relic to the Copper mining in Alaska, interesting to us but to be honest not a lot there. Camping, Hiking etc.. You might like it because it is off the beaten path.

McCarthy-Kennicott Museum 
Small Museum barely a building but it did look back into the past.
Open 7 days a week beginning Memorial Day weekend. Numerous pictures, documents, charts, maps and artifacts are on exhibit. A model of the Bonanza Mine is also on display in a box car next to the museum.

Kennicott Mine & Kennicott Glacier 
Tour the old mining site & town.
They had organized Glacier hike, they would take you out on the ice for a little adventure. Some of these operations go come and go, just don't venture out on your own if you can't find a guide.
Flight seeing trips are available.

Palmer

Lake Creek Float Trips - two options
Chelatna Lake - 54 miles 4 - 7 days
Quiet Lake - mid way along Lake Creek shorter still great fishing
Deshka River - is a river in southern-central Alaska. The Deshka River is one of Southcentral Alaska's premier sport fishing streams.
Nancy Lakes- 13 rustic cabins that are available for rent on a nightly basis
Muskox farm a unique animal you wonโ€™t see anywhere else.
Hatcher Pass - Remnants of a hard rock gold mine.
Government Peak Camp ground. Small camp ground 8 sites, fills up early on the weekends.
Gold Mint Trail, parking area Camping is aloud.
You can camp on the rd over the pass and if you ask you may be able to camp at the parking lot at Marmot Mt..
Hatcher Pass hiking - many trails, from very easy to strenuous.
At the top of the pass - April Bowl Trail starts here and climbs to a smaller alpine lake. Adventurous hikers can continue climbing to the summit Hatcher Peak to the south. You can hike for days and never hike the same trail.
On most good days June thru September you might catch me there flying a Paraglider. In the winter there is Snow Machining and skiing.
The pass usually doesn't open until the first of July depending on the snow on the road. It is a scenic drive if you hike nearly any valley you will come across relics of the gold mining era.
Cross the pass Willow to Palmer or the other way narrow winding road.

Palmer State Fair at the end of summer giant vegetables, typical fair.

Most of the mountains in the area have trail heads to hike into the wilderness. This is not Zion National Park so donโ€™t expect paved trails or any park rangers. Once you step into the wilderness here you are on your own.

ANCHORAGE / Eagle River & AREA
Anchorage Museum at Rasmuson Center - Downtown Anchorage
Crow's Nest (meal Captain Cook Hotel) 
Simon & Seafort's - Anchorage
Arctic Road Runner - for a great burger
Flight Seeing - Anchorage/Chugach Mountains 
Alaska Native Heritage Center
Moose Tooth Pub - pizza local hang out
Short hikes usually not more than two - three hours.
Hike Flat Top Mt.
Hike Oโ€™malley Peak
Hike Alpenglow to Gordon Lyons
Hike Mt. Baldy over looking the town of Eagle River right in the center of town
Hike Bear Mt. over looks Mirror lake on one side and Eklutna Lake on the other side.
Eklutha Lake campground - 50 campsites in the mountains just North of Anchorage - hiking, canoeing - Cabin at the very back of the valley,
Pepper Peak just above the campground. On a good day you may see us Paragliding right over your head.
Eagle River campground is pretty good only 12 miles to Anchorage.
Donโ€™t stay at any of the camp grounds in Anchorage they are terrible. Just stay a Walmart you will have the same experience.
Train ride to Seward - I would recommend one way have someone drive the RV to Seward.
Canoeing/rafting Spencer Glacier

Alyeska
Girdwood
Alyeska Tram & Resort -(dinner - Seven Glaciers)
If you ride up the tram you can hike around on the Mountain. It is a free ride down if you hike up. Takes about an hour to hike if you are in reasonable shape. We hike up for the exercise then fly Paragliders or ride the tram down.
Chair 5 restaurant is a local hang out.
The Bake Shop - another local eatery, good food - down by the Day Lodge
Winner Creek Trail at Alyeska, short hike with hand tram to cross the creek. Leave a car at one end of the trail so you donโ€™t have to hike both ways.
Double Musky (Dinner) - Girdwood good restaurant hard to get in and relatively expensive.

Whittier
Whittier via Portage Glacier Not much here but Ferry Terminal and access to Prince William Sound. If you want to see one of the most beautiful places on earth take a tour. I canโ€™t promise you will see whales but we always see Puffins, Seals, Sea Lions and Glaciers.
Glacier Tours - the best we have been on is:
Prince William Sound - 26 Glacier Tour - ends by 6 pm so you could head down to Seward, itโ€™s about a 2 hour drive or stay at:
Portage - Williwaw Campground (Chugach National Forest)

Hope
Hope - Side trip on your way South to Seward
Old gold mine, tailings, Mining small museum. Mining was done by Water Gun a very destructive process that has taken years to recover.
White water Rafting - 6 mile creek - Hope

KENAI PENINSULA AREA & Seward
Seward
Primrose campground - outside of Seward
Hike Primrose Lost lake trail 16 miles great hike, takes about 6 hours. We leave a car at the fire station end at the trail head - locals can direct you.
Campground in Seward as well.
Seward Silver Salmon Derby - Aug
Charters Sight seeing and Fishing
Kenai Fjords Boat Tours โ€“ Seward
Exit Glacier - easy hike
Mount Marathon - race July 4th race distance is 3.1 miles, with an elevation gain of 3,022 feet. If you are adventurous you to can climb the Mt. just not on race day.
Granite Creek - campground 19 sites
Hike
Johnson Pass Trail - Bench Lake
Nice Hike - camp about half way and roughly 13 additional mile to Moose Pass. It can be over grown some years especially toward the end of the summer.
Distance: 20.32 mi
Difficulty: 5 / 10
USGS Topo Map:
Seward C-7, Seward C-6
Nice Hike - camp about half way and roughly 13 additional mile to Moose Pass

Kenai Peninsula
Swanson River Canoe Route - 80 miles including 40 lakes and 46 miles of the Swanson RiverPratt Museum โ€“ Homer
Homer High Rd Drive
Halibut Cove in Homer - Dinner at Salty Dawg
Halibut fishing - charters
Kachemak Bay - t
Trip over to Seldovia quiet little village.
Sight seeing tours

Trips that Joyce and I think may be of interest to you.
Fall trip to Kaktovic to see the Polar Bears - Joyce was on a photo shoot two years ago in Kaktovic, she photographed more than forty Polar bears.
Kaktovic has very limited lodging so must have reservations before you go or best to be on a guided trip.
July trip would be to Katmai National Park, Brooks Camp - photograph Brown bears, this is a unique jaunt that can be done in one day but not cheap $750 ea. for airfare. If you stay the night it can be $900 for a one night package per person. Joyce is the photographer generally a bear nut so she will go nearly anywhere to be near the bears. Both of these trips if you get to experience the bears you will be very, very close within 30 feet some times less, my preference is 100 yards and that may be a little close.
McNeil River is a lottery it is very hard to win, that is why we suggest Katmai, Brooks Camp. Expect a crowd on the over look because it is very popular.
S Bradley
Navion IQ 24V