cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roll Call Alaska 2016

GGeorge
Explorer
Explorer
I have been planning this trip for 4+ years. It is now time to update my estimates and make my reservations.

Estimate Wash/BC border about 5 May 2016, north on route 97/1/2 to Tok, south to Valdez, make the hump to Anchorage, then to Homer and Seward, north to Denali, Fairbanks, back to TOK and off to Dawson, then south to Watson Lake, Smithers, then to CAN 16 east to Jasper,/Banff, on to Glacier in Montana, arriving early Sept so I can get thru the park then west to Kalispell. South thru the US to Houston area for the thanksgiving holiday and Florida for the Christmas holiday. Since I am sure it will be cold in Ohio I wont return home till April 2017.

Alaska here we come!!!!

G George

On edit, yup it's time to plan 2016. I edited your post to modify the title to be consistent with previous years; it will facilitate future searches for members.

... Eric (Moderator)
GGeorge
Marietta, Ohio
2014 Coachmen Encounter
2010 Jeep Liberty
782 REPLIES 782

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
rag-ftw, We're trying to do it right. The only real problem that I predict, will be the extra 30 days you mentioned. But, we may still run into each other, metaphorically speaking! memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

rag-ftw
Explorer
Explorer
memtb wrote:
Is it too soon to start fantasizing about 2018? We've wanted to do this for years, but just retired recently. Buying the books,watching the videos, following the Forum topics. New tires on camper last spring, tire/rim upgrade on truck, and soon to replace mor-ryde rubber and new wet bolt/bronze bushings on the suspension. Trying to do all the prep work, hoping to minimize the mechanical issues. Soon, will start on the passports! "NO", we're not excited! :D. memtb

Sounds like you are doing all the right stuff!

I would suggest that once you have your plan finalizd add an xtra 30 days to the end. You will come across many things to see and do while on the road that didnt show up whn you were planning. Also there will be a few weather days.

Maybe we will see you somewhere on the Alaskan Highway in 2018!
2004 Travel Supreme 38DS04
2009 Ranger 4X4 Towed
Ready Brake, Tire Minder

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
partsman01 wrote:
Well finally got our 2017 milepost book

You may want to post something in the Roll Call 2017 thread (assuming you are planning to go up this year and not time travel back to last year). :W

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Is it too soon to start fantasizing about 2018? We've wanted to do this for years, but just retired recently. Buying the books,watching the videos, following the Forum topics. New tires on camper last spring, tire/rim upgrade on truck, and soon to replace mor-ryde rubber and new wet bolt/bronze bushings on the suspension. Trying to do all the prep work, hoping to minimize the mechanical issues. Soon, will start on the passports! "NO", we're not excited! :D. memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

partsman01
Explorer
Explorer
Well finally got our 2017 milepost book

mabynack
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thank you, dreamer. I'm working on my travel plan for my trip after I retire in 2018.

dreamer
Explorer
Explorer
mabynack wrote:
What's the best time to see bears at Hyder?

I asked this question to one of the USDA personnel there and was told the middle of August would be the prime time to be there to see the bears. Good luck.

dreamer.
'07 HR Scepter - 400HP
'02 Tracker
'02 Honda Reflex
'16 Chevy Silverado - M&G Brake System
'17 RZR 900 Trail
'17 RZR 1000 High Lifter

How does it feel
To be on your own
With no direction home
Like a complete unknown
Like a rolling stone? - Bob Dylan

mabynack
Explorer II
Explorer II
What's the best time to see bears at Hyder?

GGeorge
Explorer
Explorer
LIZZIE: I told you things travel in three's. I am glad someone else is having all the fun of life and I am just sitting here wishing I would go somewhere.

GGeorge
GGeorge
Marietta, Ohio
2014 Coachmen Encounter
2010 Jeep Liberty

lizzie
Explorer
Explorer
i just have to post one more time (?) to let you guys know that we are not to NC yet!!!!! We decided to drive both vehicles to Florida first because we need to register the Villagio by Oct. 3rd. That meant we had to deal with the bed bug situation right away. (Did I share about the bedbugs?)That involved staying at Ochlockonee River State Park for a week while we dealt with the exterminators & etc. Meanwhile, the title to the Villagio was out in cyberland somewhere. It was sent to us yesterday via overnight delivery, arrived about 4 pm. We rushed off to the tax office and were mid-way through the registration process when their computers went out. (We are still dealing with lots of problems from the Hurricane). We are now waiting until Monday to finish the registration. It is all good. We are retired and have no specific schedule but we do need to spend about a month at the NC house to get it ready for the winter. For those of you traveling to the Gulf coast this winter, our door is always open. lizzie

rag-ftw
Explorer
Explorer
lizzie, sounds to me like you made some mighty good lemonade out of the lemons that you were handed at the end of your trip! Enjoy the Villagio and thanks again for ramrodding this forum all summer!
2009 Ranger 4X4 Towed
Ready Brake, Tire Minder

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
lizzie wrote:
I knew what we wanted and TransWest had it. This afternoon we traded in our poor Bullet for a Renegade Villagio. Tomorrow we have to downsize to fit into it. Then we have to drive two vehicles home. What an end to our amazing adventure! lizzie
So sorry that you had problems at the end of your trip, but glad you are excited about the new Renegade. I looked at the Villagio on the Renegade website and it is really impressive. To me, a Sprinter is the most practical motorhome out there for RVing couples without kids--easy to drive and park, great fuel mileage, unbelievable towing capacity, an optional diesel generator, and lots of manufacturers now to get the exact features that you want. The Villagio is the only Class B+/C Sprinter I have seen that has swiveling driver and passenger seats, a great feature for added seating when you have campground visitors. And it's one of the very few RVs still offering a 3-way refrigerator. BTW, have you needed to use the generator yet?

You now have an unexpected new "toy" to play in, so I guess maybe all's well that ends well?
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

GGeorge
Explorer
Explorer
We are back in Ohio. 12,350+ miles and minor damage. RV needs a new windshield, TOAD was replaced yesterday, internet and TV back on and I cant wait till I can leave again for the next trip in Nov.

Hope everyone had a great memorable trip as did I and remember travel safe.

LIZZIE: Where in Florida? PM me
GGeorge
Marietta, Ohio
2014 Coachmen Encounter
2010 Jeep Liberty

rag-ftw
Explorer
Explorer
Just arrived inDawson this afternoon. Taylor was really dusty. Spent the night at the Clinton Road turn off and had sleet and snow pellets this morning on top of the world into Dawson, also LOTS of mud. Road to Eagle was in good shape. Clinton Road to 40 Mile was also in good shape but muddy. Top of the world should be dry by tomorrow.
2009 Ranger 4X4 Towed
Ready Brake, Tire Minder