cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roll Call Alaska 2016

GGeorge
Explorer
Explorer
I have been planning this trip for 4+ years. It is now time to update my estimates and make my reservations.

Estimate Wash/BC border about 5 May 2016, north on route 97/1/2 to Tok, south to Valdez, make the hump to Anchorage, then to Homer and Seward, north to Denali, Fairbanks, back to TOK and off to Dawson, then south to Watson Lake, Smithers, then to CAN 16 east to Jasper,/Banff, on to Glacier in Montana, arriving early Sept so I can get thru the park then west to Kalispell. South thru the US to Houston area for the thanksgiving holiday and Florida for the Christmas holiday. Since I am sure it will be cold in Ohio I wont return home till April 2017.

Alaska here we come!!!!

G George

On edit, yup it's time to plan 2016. I edited your post to modify the title to be consistent with previous years; it will facilitate future searches for members.

... Eric (Moderator)
GGeorge
Marietta, Ohio
2014 Coachmen Encounter
2010 Jeep Liberty
782 REPLIES 782

magic43
Explorer
Explorer
I look forward to hearing about your travels Fishhunter, since your trip will begin much earlier than ours no matter which way you are traveling.
magic43

Fishhunter
Explorer
Explorer
Well, we are going the other way. Plan on leaving Alaska the first part of March making our way to Washington then on down to Texas. No planned route, will decide which route to take when we wake up each day. Plan on being back home sometime in May when the fish start biting.
2021Ram 3500 DRW
2020 Arctic Fox 29-5K
ORV 24RLS Titanium (Sold)
2015 Adventurer 86FB (Sold)

sljohnson1938
Explorer
Explorer
DakotaCamper wrote:
We're in for 2016. We have a truck camper but we are taking my mother with us and there is not enough room for 3 adults and 3 pets in the TC. We bought a small 5'er to tow up there.

Looking forward to our trip. My DH spent 25 years in Alaska and has been all over the place so I have my own personal tour guide.

Hi Sally - hope all is well there. doing fine here.

stuart

PS - Fearless leader
1999 Dodge 3500 CTD dually
Ham radio - WU4S

golfoh1
Explorer
Explorer
Just want to say we are plannng our 2nd trip in 2016. Taking relatives and can't wait. Hope to meet some of you on the road. Last trip I met a guy that I went to grade school with. Had not seen in 50 years and re-meet in Alaska!

SBradley
Explorer
Explorer
Those heading to Alaska fuel prices have finally started down.
If you are planning on heading N the first part of May you might want to push it off to the the middle of the month. There is still snow most years. Most campgrounds aren't open, the Ferry in Dawson didn't start running this year until the last week of May. Day time temps can be pleasant but night can be below freezing.
S Bradley
Navion IQ 24V

explorenorth
Explorer
Explorer
For those of you who like to get off the beaten track a bit, especially with short walks, my latest article for Destination BC may be of interest - Hidden Gems Along the Alaska Highway.
Murray

Whitehorse, Yukon
http://ExploreNorth.com/
and blogging at http://ExploreNorthBlog.com/
I live to travel, and travel to really live

DakotaCamper
Explorer
Explorer
We're in for 2016. We have a truck camper but we are taking my mother with us and there is not enough room for 3 adults and 3 pets in the TC. We bought a small 5'er to tow up there.

Looking forward to our trip. My DH spent 25 years in Alaska and has been all over the place so I have my own personal tour guide.
Sally

2006 Ford F-550
2006 Lance 1191 Truck Camper
Torklift Tiedowns, FastGuns, SuperHitch, FastGun Wobble Stoppers, Lock and Load Cargo Carrier
2008 Surveyor 260BH Fifth Wheel
Torklift GlowStep Revolution, B&W Companion Hitch

mabynack
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm going to have to wait another year. My 401k took a big hit and I need to continue working awhile longer. In the meantime I'm living vicariously through ya'll. Please keep us all updated on what to see and do when we finally manage to go. I love reading the stories.

magic43
Explorer
Explorer
I have not signed on yet, but we plan to be going back to Alaska in 2016. We drove the trip in 1997 in a class C MH and will drive again in a F250 pulling a 23' FW. Our plans so far are to leave home around the 1st of July.

So now I guess that I have signed on.
magic43

Caysea
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All
Just a bump to see if any new interested members.

KC
Ford F350 KR SRW 4X4
NL 10 RD

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
I went back to Alaska in 2014 in my Class B and spent part of the summer visiting old haunts and new places. Will definitely go back in 2017 for my HS reunion and thinking about going back in 2016 for the summer. Would like to tow my Wrangler with me but I'm looking real hard at just trailering a Smart Car instead as it would be half the weight. I've flat towed the Wrangler a number of times but I'm not sure I'd like to drag it that far and back again.

soos
Explorer II
Explorer II
we also bought a truck camper for our trek to Alaska.
What a great way to see the state! we took 5 days to do the Dalton, and spent 5 days in Wrangel St. Elias NP, not to mention driving the Denali highway twice.
easier to do in a truck camper!!
Sue
soos-ontheroad.blogspot.com
Fulltiming since 2009
2012 Mobile Suites 36 TKSB4 pulled by a
2011 Ford F450
2005 Lance 1181 TC- our Vacation Home

daily_double
Explorer
Explorer
We went in 2014 , spent the entire summer pulling a 35 ft. fiver. We had a lot of fun but felt like we wanted something smaller. Bought a truck camper last fall and are loving it! can't wait to take it back in 2016. Yes it's smaller, but we realized we didn't spend that much time in the fiver and we couldn't go quite all the places we wanted to. We all know there is no perfect RV., we have to make allowances, .

Basketweaverz
Explorer
Explorer
We went for 8 weeks this year. Wonderful trip. DH wants to go back in 2016. He wants to drive the Dempster from Dawson City to Inuvit. Our Class A doesn't keep any of the dust out so I want to get a truck camper, we have the truck. We haven't had a meeting of the minds yet.

I am sure we will go but in what, that is the question!!

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here's our 2013 Alaska Trip blog which may give you some additional ideas. Be sure to click on the right side Blog Archive links.

We were able to copy a caravan tour itinerary from some folks we met and we used that information to visit some of the same areas. Only very sketchy trip information will be found on the tour websites.

Alaska Changed Us: After several years of discussion we decided that we would go on this "Once in a lifetime trip and cross it off of the bucket list." Instead in Alaska we realized that we were on an adventure and we were coming back. An adventure but from the comfort of our rig.

Tip: If you are using CG's leave by 9:00 and stop in the early afternoon. You can't beat the caravans because they have reservations but you can be ahead of most others.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob