cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roll Call Alaska 2016

GGeorge
Explorer
Explorer
I have been planning this trip for 4+ years. It is now time to update my estimates and make my reservations.

Estimate Wash/BC border about 5 May 2016, north on route 97/1/2 to Tok, south to Valdez, make the hump to Anchorage, then to Homer and Seward, north to Denali, Fairbanks, back to TOK and off to Dawson, then south to Watson Lake, Smithers, then to CAN 16 east to Jasper,/Banff, on to Glacier in Montana, arriving early Sept so I can get thru the park then west to Kalispell. South thru the US to Houston area for the thanksgiving holiday and Florida for the Christmas holiday. Since I am sure it will be cold in Ohio I wont return home till April 2017.

Alaska here we come!!!!

G George

On edit, yup it's time to plan 2016. I edited your post to modify the title to be consistent with previous years; it will facilitate future searches for members.

... Eric (Moderator)
GGeorge
Marietta, Ohio
2014 Coachmen Encounter
2010 Jeep Liberty
782 REPLIES 782

AlaskaShooter
Explorer
Explorer
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ used to be reasonable back when I moved up there. Early 80's. Now, not so much. For a Class A RV Bellingham to Skagway or Haines. $3K, give or take, plus a cabin on the vessel and cafeteria style meals. The Columbia does have a dining room vs line style chow on most Alaska ferries. I've ridden the AMH system dozens of times and they have pissed me off more then left me pleased with their service. They are well trained in an emergency situation on or off the vessel. BUT, for what you are paying your rig should at least get a wash and wax detail while on board for the cost.

I won't go into all the bad experiences I've had on the AK state ferry system. And they don't even charge enough to cover expenses. The state legislature covers the gap with oil tax money. That's why there is no state sales tax.

I spent 25 years of my life in AK. Great state. BUT the ferry system is over priced and mismanaged IMHO. The workers are unionized and over the years have put the AMH system in a no win situation to serve the paying passengers it attempts to serve.

George
2006 F-550, Crew cab, 4x4 w/factory bed getting 12 mpg @ 50,000 miles
2006 Lance 1191
2006 Wells Cargo 14' Cycle Wagon
2017 Grand Design 5th wheel with EezTire TPMS
2017 F-450 4x4 crew cab King Ranch

missnmountains
Explorer
Explorer
bigboomer wrote:
Ken,

We will update you the TOTW as we finally made it to Dawson City and are in the Yukon River Provincial CG which is a beautiful CG after taking the ferry across.
Awesome experience floating on the ferry with the rig.....took all of 15 min from loading to floating to offloading!

Thank you. I look forward to the update.

Ken
2016 Newmar Dutch Star 4369

Our Blog: Lawrence Adventures

Kidoo
Explorer
Explorer
Caysea wrote:
Hi All

We are traveling up the inside passage on the Alaska ferry system at this time. It is as if this adventure is a puzzle coming together. Florida to Prince Rubert with great scenery in BC. Now the cruising portion. We stopped at Ketchican for a few days now we are in Juneau and head to Haines Sat. AM. From there on to the next leg up to Fairbanks.
Safe travels to all on the journey.

KC

What is the cost to take the ferry with an RV? Where can you get the prices? Can you stop for a while at each port?

Thanks
Monaco Cayman 34 2003, Cummins 300HP
Bigfoot 2008, 10.4, F350, 2006, Diesel 6.0, Black, 4x4, long box, Air lift, Rancho 9000, Rear sway bar.

Caysea
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All

2Gypsies LOL Your right checked my ticket and the next stop is Denali!!!!!

Haines in the AM and then I am back on the helm in my land yacht to fairbanks

KC
Ford F350 KR SRW 4X4
NL 10 RD

bigboomer
Explorer
Explorer
Ken,

We will update you the TOTW as we finally made it to Dawson City and are in the Yukon River Provincial CG which is a beautiful CG after taking the ferry across.
Awesome experience floating on the ferry with the rig.....took all of 15 min from loading to floating to offloading!
www.ramblingrvrat.blogspot.com

'09 Int'l Durastar 4400LP
'15 Montana 3610RL
3 - 270W Solar Panels
6- 305amp AGM's
Magnum 2812 Inv
Midnite Solar Classic 150
Trimetric 2030RV
Primus 40 Wind

http://s962.photobucket.com/user/mybigboomer/library/RV%20Solar%20System

DwayneN
Explorer
Explorer
We plan to take the Cassiar Hwy in a couple weeks so would appreciate any updates on the gas situation along that route.

Thanks!

MACHZER
Explorer
Explorer
So far only Petro Canada
Clandeboye , Manitoba

MACHZER
Explorer
Explorer
Fuel info Canada

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/british-columbia/petro-canada-suncor-gas-stations-run-out-of-gas-1.3614059
Clandeboye , Manitoba

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Caysea: To Fairbanks on the ferry? 🙂
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Caysea
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All

We are traveling up the inside passage on the Alaska ferry system at this time. It is as if this adventure is a puzzle coming together. Florida to Prince Rubert with great scenery in BC. Now the cruising portion. We stopped at Ketchican for a few days now we are in Juneau and head to Haines Sat. AM. From there on to the next leg up to Fairbanks.
Safe travels to all on the journey.

KC
Ford F350 KR SRW 4X4
NL 10 RD

missnmountains
Explorer
Explorer
We made it to Tok today. The highway between white horse and the border was definitely horrible. Worse than we experienced in 2014.

On a bright note, our coach is clean!!!

Ken
2016 Newmar Dutch Star 4369

Our Blog: Lawrence Adventures

idaho556
Explorer
Explorer
Made to Edmonton today , Glowing Ember RV is full of fort Mc Murry folk ,talk to few them some are starting to be allow home, plan is to make to Dawson Creek tomorrow . Wishing everybody safe travels.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
BigBoomer: Here's your site made into a 'Clicky'. Good reading!

http://ramblingrvrat.blogspot.com/2016/06/whitehorse-yukon-canada-stop-17-on-our.html?m=1
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

bigboomer
Explorer
Explorer
Rambling RV Rat: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada - Stop 17 on our Trek North to Alaska

http://ramblingrvrat.blogspot.com/2016/06/whitehorse-yukon-canada-stop-17-on-our.html?m=1
www.ramblingrvrat.blogspot.com

'09 Int'l Durastar 4400LP
'15 Montana 3610RL
3 - 270W Solar Panels
6- 305amp AGM's
Magnum 2812 Inv
Midnite Solar Classic 150
Trimetric 2030RV
Primus 40 Wind

http://s962.photobucket.com/user/mybigboomer/library/RV%20Solar%20System

notlost
Explorer
Explorer
Limited internet so i'll make this real brief..wanted to share a good stopping place-
Watson Lake Tag Gas Station (just west from the Sign Post Forest and visitor Center)had a super CG ($21/night) fhu (30amp)..although the ground was muddy and a bit bumpy (immediately after the big snow in Liard area), the cg had strong electric and great hookups.
Fuel was cheapest by far (diesel $1.06)...nice people. we found it by accident but will definitely go back in the fall...
safe travels to all!
Dominic & Sue Ambrosino
Fulltimers Travelin' the U.S.A.
"All who wander are Not Lost"
2005 Beaver Patriot Thunder 42',Cat 525