cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Route 6 Through PA

Kountryguy
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for advise regarding pulling a 40' fiver west to east on Rt.6.
Looks like it may be a little more challenging than enjoyable. Thanks for any advise.
11 REPLIES 11

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
I drove it 3 years ago. Road was in rough shape in some places, but something I always wanted to do so it didn't bother me.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

We_Cant_Wait
Explorer
Explorer
I just checked my 2016 Rand McNally Motor Carriers Atlas and YES THERE IS STILL a low clearance of 12'7" on route 6 in Mill Village which is between Edinboro and Union City. Just because you see semi's running route 6 means nothing. They route themselves around the low clearances using the Motor Carriers Atlas.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
We had a cabin right on Rt. 6 in Potter County. 18 wheelers run it all the time.

Kountryguy
Explorer
Explorer
Good advice, but I have a 65 gallon aux tank, so fuel should not be a problem.

jeomelia
Explorer
Explorer
I have traveled across numerous times towing a 32'. Just watch your fuel management with a 40' trailer your choices will be limited get the Allstays Truck or RV app to look for truck stops. Mansfield, around midpoint, has a Walmart and a truck stop just South of US 6 also State and COE Campgrounds in the area.
1999 Dodge 2500 QuadCab Diesel
2005 Desert Fox 28KS
BrakeSmart
1992 Roadtrek Dodge Versatile
'...traveled the same road as many..."

Kountryguy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. I saw the part about tractor trailers doing it, so we may give it a try.

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
I live in PA but, I've never traveled Route 6.

Hopefully someone with experience will post an answer.

The best advice I can give you is, contact PA Route 6, they can probably advise you of any possible problems pulling your RV.
From that site there is an FAQ section. From there:

" Q. Can I take my fifth wheel across the complete route?

A. Yes, a fifth wheel or even a tractor trailer should be able to fit under all bridges along the highway."

We travel it a lot and yes - tractor trailers do go on it.

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

leggy
Explorer
Explorer
I have done Eastern half with no issue, obvious stuff is small towns and some hills but pretty decent shape. Never been on the Western side.

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
WE pulled a 24ft TT through parts of Rt 6 and it wasn't a problem. But 40 ft, I don;t know. I do remember there was one town we went through that was a little tight but don't remember which one.

We_Cant_Wait
Explorer
Explorer
I don't remember exactly where but there's a low clearance on the WEST end of route 6 south west of Erie Pa.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I live in PA but, I've never traveled Route 6.

Hopefully someone with experience will post an answer.

The best advice I can give you is, contact PA Route 6, they can probably advise you of any possible problems pulling your RV.