cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Route from I-55 to I-49

Kaz
Explorer
Explorer
We heading from Atlanta to Badlands starting at the end of May (enroute to DuPont WA to visit son #2) and the routing software is taking me in relevant part along the following diagonal route:
  • US-63 from I-55 up to Willow Springs MO
  • US-60 from there up to Springfield MO
  • SR-13 up to Clinton MO
  • Then SR-7 up to Harrisonville (where we pick up I-49).

Then it's basically interstates for the rest of the way.

I'm not familiar with any of these roads. I checked the Wikipedia articles, but it's hard for me to get a sense of what traveling on them would be like. I also checked Google Earth, but same issue: I'm just not very adept at extracting the on-the-ground practical assessment from aerial photographs.

The issue for me is this: I've got us going from Southhaven MS to Bolivar MO along this route (332 miles) in one day, which would be a long day for us on interstates--I'm wondering if it's impractical along the US highways and state routes. Then the next day is even longer (387 miles), but only the first hundred miles follows the US/SR roads mentioned. Again, though, nearly 400 miles would be a very long day for us even on interstates, and maybe too long if the US/SR roads don't provide freeway-like driving. We're driving a small Class A, pulling a toad.

So, I'd appreciate any real-world descriptions of the roads, speed limits, travel times, whatever. Thanks muchos in advance.

Skip
Skip
K4EAK
2013 Thor ACE 30.1
7 REPLIES 7

saltbayou
Explorer
Explorer
Go to a truck stop and get a motor carriers atlas,very helpful.
2008 Dodge 3500 diesel,dwd
Pullrite SuperGlide 18k hitch,Prodigy Brake Control 2009 Mobile Scout 35REKSLTD

Kaz
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again to everyone!
Skip
K4EAK
2013 Thor ACE 30.1

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
WE-C-USA wrote:
Both MO-13 & MO-7 are good highways. Both divided 4 lane from Springfield to Harrisonville. Going thru Clinton will be the only main slowdown.

Thanks, I'll remember that.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

WE-C-USA
Explorer
Explorer
Both MO-13 & MO-7 are good highways. Both divided 4 lane from Springfield to Harrisonville. Going thru Clinton will be the only main slowdown.
Frank & PJ
2022 2500HD GMC Duramax 4X4
2018 Grand Design-Refection 303RLS

Kaz
Explorer
Explorer
tatest wrote:
US-60 from I-55 to Springfield is fine, assuming that it is open (subject to flooding in Spring). It is mostly four lane divided, slowing down for built-up areas.

US-63 goes through some pretty rugged country, a lot of short steep grades and tightly winding road, many small communities with slow local traffic. I got dumped onto 63 once when US-60 was closed by flooding. Luckily, I was driving my wife's Accord that trip, not the motorhome. Average speed was probably 35-40 mph that day.

I don't know SR-13, or at least don't remember it, as it is not one of my regular Missouri routes. It is an important connector, might be one of the better state highways in Missouri, might not. I know I've never been on that section of SR-7. My experience with the state highway system in Missouri leads me to avoid it as much as possible when driving my motorhome. Lane widths down to 9-10 feet are common, some of the roads tend to be high crowned, many do not have usable shoulders and are often in poor condition, particularly breaking away at the edges. FWIW, I have to say the same for state highways in Oklahoma.

US numbered highways in Missouri are better generally, though not always as good as they are in Kansas. I would take I-55 on up to US-60, the higher travel speeds should make up for the longer distance. US-60 to Springfield, then either SR-96 (it is old Route 66) over to Carthage or US-160 to pick up I-49 at Lamar. My problem choosing that I know only shorter sections of SR-96, and have not used this section of US-160 at all. But on the US-numbered highways in this part of the country you can at least expect a 12-foot lane width most of the time, but not always a usable shoulder.

Thanks. That's very, very helpful. I was worried about the state routes (which is why I asked). I'll take your advice.

Thanks again,
Skip
Skip
K4EAK
2013 Thor ACE 30.1

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
US-60 from I-55 to Springfield is fine, assuming that it is open (subject to flooding in Spring). It is mostly four lane divided, slowing down for built-up areas.

US-63 goes through some pretty rugged country, a lot of short steep grades and tightly winding road, many small communities with slow local traffic. I got dumped onto 63 once when US-60 was closed by flooding. Luckily, I was driving my wife's Accord that trip, not the motorhome. Average speed was probably 35-40 mph that day.

I don't know SR-13, or at least don't remember it, as it is not one of my regular Missouri routes. It is an important connector, might be one of the better state highways in Missouri, might not. I know I've never been on that section of SR-7. My experience with the state highway system in Missouri leads me to avoid it as much as possible when driving my motorhome. Lane widths down to 9-10 feet are common, some of the roads tend to be high crowned, many do not have usable shoulders and are often in poor condition, particularly breaking away at the edges. FWIW, I have to say the same for state highways in Oklahoma.

US numbered highways in Missouri are better generally, though not always as good as they are in Kansas. I would take I-55 on up to US-60, the higher travel speeds should make up for the longer distance. US-60 to Springfield, then either SR-96 (it is old Route 66) over to Carthage or US-160 to pick up I-49 at Lamar. My problem choosing that I know only shorter sections of SR-96, and have not used this section of US-160 at all. But on the US-numbered highways in this part of the country you can at least expect a 12-foot lane width most of the time, but not always a usable shoulder.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
Instead of relying on routing software, I would look at a map and try to decide. I think only you can determine how far to go each leg.

Sorry I can't be more help.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE