cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Route from St. Louis, MO to Durango, CO

qbert10
Explorer
Explorer
We are leaving next week and planning to take I-70 through Missouri and Kansas, turning off at 40W in Kansas. We are hoping to find a place to lay over overnight somewhere near Sharon Springs (give or take a few miles) continuing towards CO via 287S, 96W and 160W.

Any things that we need to be aware of as far as road conditions or grades? Any suggestions on where to lay our heads for the night?

Thank you in advance!
Self and Spouse
2 children
2 dogs: Mya, Lab/ Catahoula Mix, Roxi, ACD, Bully Mix.
2014 Dodge 3500 CCLB DRW 6.7 CTD, Aisin Automatic, 4x4, Max Steel Metallic , Soon to have a B&W 3600.
2009 Jayco 31.5FBHS
4 REPLIES 4

trailertraveler
Explorer
Explorer
I prefer to stay off the interstates as much as possible. We usually pickup US-50 just West of Saint Louis (I-44 Exit 247). US-54 bypasses Kansas City. US-400 will take you back to US-50 at Dodge City. CO-10 will take you to US-160 at Walsenburg and from there it is US-160 to Durango.
Safe travels!
Trailertraveler

jrp
Explorer
Explorer
Other than the usual summer season road construction projects scattered all over, the only issue to get your attention will be Wolf Creek Pass. Its a relatively easy drive but a bit steep on the downhill side, keep it slowed down.
Also be aware that along 160 (in CO) the 65mph speed slows down to 40, 30, 25 through each small town it goes through. Some of those towns fund their annual budget with speeding tickets in those reduced speed zones, pay attention.
Jim

Tiger02
Explorer
Explorer
Did almost this same route back in April leaving from St. Charles headed to Washington State taking the slow route. I stayed on I-70 to Limon and then headed south to Colorado Springs and I-25. Turned west at Walsenburg onto 160 headed to Mesa Verde NP.

As far as grades, be ready for Wolf Creek Pass on 160 in CO between South Fork and Pagosa Springs. Climb isn't too bad, but going down the reverse (western) slope is long and includes a hairpin turn. I just hung out in 2nd gear, and used the brakes as little as possible. Great scenery along this route with some turn outs with nice views.
2006 Keystone Outback Sydney 30 FRKS

1997 Ford F350 Auto, 4.10LS Axle, 160,000 Miles, Crew Cab with DRW.

US Army 1984-2016.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
qbert10 wrote:
We are leaving next week and planning to take I-70 through Missouri and Kansas, turning off at 40W in Kansas. We are hoping to find a place to lay over overnight somewhere near Sharon Springs (give or take a few miles) continuing towards CO via 287S, 96W and 160W.

Any things that we need to be aware of as far as road conditions or grades? Any suggestions on where to lay our heads for the night?

Thank you in advance!

If Durango was the trip/destination that's the way I'd go - been a while but did it once on that exact route - now our choice would be to get to Ouray and then Silverton, Lake City or Telluride, but that's just me.

One of the most Beautiful areas of Colorado - enjoy your time.

Sorry no recent trips, as we always head into Golden and catch the Granddaughters just north of there.

BOL,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach