cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RT 36 Missouri

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
What kind of road is Rt36 in Missouri from Hannibal to I-29 near St Joseph,Mo? Can you make good time on it? I was thinking about using that to by pass St Louis and Kansas City on I-70
10 REPLIES 10

MissouriBird
Explorer
Explorer
I have lived on 36 most of my life except for 10 years in NY. We see more and more RV traffic each year. Have driven it from Denver to Indy many, many times. Much better 4=lane road than I-70. One stoplight at Cameron. Lots of Highway Patrol--watch the speed limits.

Today---virtually all towns are bypassed eliminating stop and go. We are seeing significantly heavier big truck traffic in the past several years.

Hope this helps you.
Nomads at heart

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
RDS33 wrote:
If your wife is a quilter you will not get past Hamilton Mo with out a stop.

Somehow, my wife failed to notice this one :). She did find the quilt shop on US-54 between Nevada and Collins, because we stopped at the affiliated RV park (Arrowhead Lake).

If you are trying to avoid long stops at quilt/fabric stops, be aware that there is another one along US-400 between KS-99 and Augusta. Don't know the nearby city names because I'm coming up on 99, and there aren't any cities anyway, between Chanute and Wichita.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Love 36. Used it instead of I70 many times on trips to & from Boulder, CO from MD. If we pieced all the sections used at various times we have probably driven the whole thing.

You can't go wrong using the highways which were the primary roads before the interstates. You see stuff from them.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

RDS33
Explorer
Explorer
If your wife is a quilter you will not get past Hamilton Mo with out a stop.

Bipeflier
Explorer
Explorer
It is part of the CKC route (Chicago-Kansas City) so it is a good highway. There is one town (Cameron) in which you have to slow down and there are a couple of traffic lights where I-35 intersects.

Plenty of fuel/food opportunities also. Flat to rolling hills, good run.
2010 Cruiser CF30SK Patriot
2016 3500 Duramax
1950 Right Hand Seat GPS (she tells me where to go)

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
tatest wrote:
I use 36 several times a year from Hannibal to either I-35 at Cameron or on into Kansas (but not beyond US-75).

36 is four lane divided, but it is not limited access, it has many small crossings and slow vehicle are permitted. Most of the crossings are low volume, and there are interchanges for most major highway intersections. There are no stoplights between Hannibal and Cameron, with usually light traffic until St Joseph, where the road starts serving as local expressway.

You can make good time if you stay close to the posted speed limit. Highway patrol will pull over traffic running 5 mph over, and the road is hilly enough for them to hide in the dips and catch you on radar as you crest a hill.

In the hilly parts you need also be watchful for agricultural traffic, during plowing and harvesting seasons particularly. Slow traffic will usually run on the shoulder, where it is paved, but it can also be crossing the road or shifting left to cross the median.

Last time I took 36 into Kansas, last summer, they were repaving from just west of the river all the way to Troy, with some long waits for single lane one-way at a time. I haven't gone that far since, but likely the project is now finished, as Kansas is real good about getting highway construction done quickly.

^^^^^ This.

And particularly heed the speed advice. Last time I was through that area, we saw a much higher number of LEO out patrolling, than on other trips on other roads/highways. That likely won't be an issue for you, but just a heads up.

And regarding the hilly part, IIRC, it was a bit more hilly/up and down on the eastbound side than westbound. My guess is the eastbound side was the original 2 lane road, and the westbound side was added to make it 4 lane, at least for some portions of the road. Nevertheless, it's a good, easy drive and that's the route I'll be taking later this year on a trip from Colorado to Indiana.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use 36 several times a year from Hannibal to either I-35 at Cameron or on into Kansas (but not beyond US-75).

36 is four lane divided, but it is not limited access, it has many small crossings and slow vehicle are permitted. Most of the crossings are low volume, and there are interchanges for most major highway intersections. There are no stoplights between Hannibal and Cameron, with usually light traffic until St Joseph, where the road starts serving as local expressway.

You can make good time if you stay close to the posted speed limit. Highway patrol will pull over traffic running 5 mph over, and the road is hilly enough for them to hide in the dips and catch you on radar as you crest a hill.

In the hilly parts you need also be watchful for agricultural traffic, during plowing and harvesting seasons particularly. Slow traffic will usually run on the shoulder, where it is paved, but it can also be crossing the road or shifting left to cross the median.

Last time I took 36 into Kansas, last summer, they were repaving from just west of the river all the way to Troy, with some long waits for single lane one-way at a time. I haven't gone that far since, but likely the project is now finished, as Kansas is real good about getting highway construction done quickly.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

mleekamp
Explorer
Explorer
We did it last year on way out west....as others said, very nice route to take...light traffic...easy going.

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
X2 - Divided highway with 2 lanes each side going through MO. Much more relaxed than driving I70.
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450๐Ÿ™‚

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
RGar974417 wrote:
What kind of road is Rt36 in Missouri from Hannibal to I-29 near St Joseph,Mo? Can you make good time on it? I was thinking about using that to by pass St Louis and Kansas City on I-70

It's a 4 lane limited access all the way to St Joseph - Might be a few cross roads but it is great and the traffic is light. If I recall it turns into a good two lane road through Kansas, Then the last 100-or so miles, just before Colorado and then Colorado are more real country roads.

We use it all the time.

BOL,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach