cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV travel to Canada

georgiebc
Explorer
Explorer
Is it automatic that an RV will be stopped & searched when entering Canada? Is this something that I should allow time for?
2006 Georgie Boy Pursuit 3500 DS
2008 Suzuki Grand Vitara
Stowmaster tow gear
FMCA Member # F405266
34 REPLIES 34

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
georgiebc wrote:
Is it automatic that an RV will be stopped & searched when entering Canada? Is this something that I should allow time for?

It all depends on the way you look and behave,
If you look like a hippy dippy wino driving a beat up rig smelling of weed you can bet they will no doubt want to check what's inside your vehicle

On the other hand if you are clean cut and polite you should have no problems,,mind you sometimes even the nicest cleanest looking folk get delayed when the traffic is heavy.

If you have done nothing illegal you dont have to worry,,I've had my truck searched every time crossing the border,,took maybe half an hour at the most since I have my papers in order and no illegal stuff anywhere..

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Crossing the border is no big deal. Just know the rules, be polite, talk only when asked a question and keep it short and you'll be on your way.

I think sometimes they get bored and pull you over just for something new to do. ๐Ÿ™‚

The only time we got pulled over was because they asked if we had bear spray and we fessed up to having a dog repellant spray used when biking. They asked to see the container and weren't sure if it was 'legal'. We pulled over and went inside and they again checked the container label. They found it was not mfg. in Canada and said very politely, "sorry, we'll have to take this". It was no big deal to us. They are particular about bear sprays and it's best to buy it in Canada if you think you need it. We don't think it's needed.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
almcc wrote:
The other thing not mentioned here is: Go through the correct lane! It sometimes isn't easy, for example in Port Huron Michigan cars and RV's go through together, in Detroit (the Ambassador Bridge) there is one specific RV lane (entering the US), if you go through the wrong one it could mean a secondary inspection. 30 minutes is a short time, it used to take us 2 hrs to get the documents to enter Mexico, it didn't help that the folks at the kiosk didn't speak English and we didn't speak Spanish!

I usually go though the commercial side,and during busy times have seen all RVs sent over with the semi trucks. Funny to see a guy in a mini van with pop up trailer trying to talk to the officer way up there.
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
You never really know. If you fail the attitude test guaranteed you will be there a long time. If the person before you rattled the border agent maybe the favour will be returned to you. Sometimes you can run into a grumpy border agent, either side, who really should have another job, but most have been great.

Follow directions as posted earlier & you most likely will be on your way without any inspection.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

almcc
Explorer
Explorer
The other thing not mentioned here is: Go through the correct lane! It sometimes isn't easy, for example in Port Huron Michigan cars and RV's go through together, in Detroit (the Ambassador Bridge) there is one specific RV lane (entering the US), if you go through the wrong one it could mean a secondary inspection. 30 minutes is a short time, it used to take us 2 hrs to get the documents to enter Mexico, it didn't help that the folks at the kiosk didn't speak English and we didn't speak Spanish!

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
In a nutshell, you can be through customs/border questioning in 30 seconds or 3 hours.

I have been known to think a lot of it has to do with what has previously been decided, 'x number/percentage will be examined very carefully today'.

& I remember when I was youngish (under 30) trying to persuade folks with me to dress 'middle class' careful, rather that fashionably comfy. If I didn't succeed in my persuasion it would take us awhile to cross the border.

& yes, I have had a more thorough search when traveling on my own. Yet, the day when I came back into Canada with my newly purchased made for me truck camper and answered "Did you buy anything?" by reaching back and patting the camper, I just went inside, showed my papers and paid my GST, then was off on my way in about 5 minutes. Of course, entering the US, I had answered the question, "what is the purpose of your trip". "To purchase a truck camper which is waiting for me." They could have put that in the computer file.

:C
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
explorenorth wrote:
garyhaupt wrote:
Believe me, people don't get hassled just because the agent is having a bad day.

Yeah, they do. You've just been lucky so far, Gary.

Okay...fair enough. Let me re-phrase...I have never been hassled because an agent had a bad day. I have had some pretty intense searches, too...and I have food taken..damned garlic and onions...but, it's just part of what happens.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

explorenorth
Explorer
Explorer
garyhaupt wrote:
Believe me, people don't get hassled just because the agent is having a bad day.

Yeah, they do. You've just been lucky so far, Gary.
Murray

Whitehorse, Yukon
http://ExploreNorth.com/
and blogging at http://ExploreNorthBlog.com/
I live to travel, and travel to really live

RangerJay
Explorer
Explorer
Crossing should not be looked at as a hassle - these folks have a job to do - they aren't the ones that make the rules - the rules are there for a reason - they just enforce them.

You can expect them to be interested in passports, residency, place of birth, alcohol volumes, tobacco volumes, perishable foods, pet vaccinations, firearms, where you are going and how long you will be in the country. You may also be asked about crossing with firewood and live bait (both a no-go).

Presuming you have your stuff in order and are not trying to hide anything then most crossings will be uneventful - any "search" (last one years ago) we've gone through has been polite and mostly just a walk through - it's true that you may run into the occasional agent who seems a little overzealous - there is nothing you can do to prepare for that except bite your tongue and stay polite.

Jay
2002 Bambi 19' - the "Toaster"
2009 Nissan Pathfinder - the "Buggy"

P_Kennedy
Explorer
Explorer
Always amazes me that we feel so inconvenienced by entering a foreign country and having to comply with the laws. The surprising thing is most of us also have strong opinions on allowing bad foreigners in to our countries that erode and conflict with our free lifestyle. How do you expect to accomplish both without borders and people to patrol them. Most people unless they have the right accreditation are by law non-resident aliens which means you have limited if any rights and are a guest in the country. Yet everyday at most borders and customs check points they find illegal activities. Suck it up, be polite and like others said know before you go. I will take a land border inspection any day over an airport where they are a lot more intrusive and irritating.
2007 Triple E 305RL
2007 Dodge C&C 9' Falcan Deck

bee_46
Explorer
Explorer
We have crossed the border a number of times and have never been searched. Just asked the usual questions and told to go on. We have never had anything taken from us either such as fruit or meat. I wouldn't worry about it. Just be polite and answer their questions honestly.
Bobbie ๐Ÿ™‚

2003 Pleasure Way Excel TD

Alaska 2008

Arches, Geysers, and Canyons

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Depending on where you cross and when, I'd be worried about the time spent in line. Allow some time for it, it it's quick, pull over and take a nap. Still shouldn't take over 30 minutes.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
40 years of crossing, probably 15 times in the RV's. One time the inspector came on board. Looked in the fridge. "Have a nice day". Sometimes they act gruff -- so what, they're doing their job.

It's just not worth worrying about.

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
This border crossing stuff gets people so tangled and worried. Of the hundreds of thousands of crossing every month, few have issues and most of those are because they contravened a Canadian or American law. Believe me, people don't get hassled just because the agent is having a bad day. There was a reason. Now, it is entirely possible that in fact, nothing is wrong, and it doesn't take long to get cleared.

Do your homework, call the border services of the country you are going into and ask questions. If you are going to carry a weapon, call and ask if what you carry is permitted. If you have a criminal record, call and see if you are good to enter or not. Foods and booze are always issues for people. Go to websites and "go learn". And...don't rely on anecdotal information from anyone. Ask the right people.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

rwbradley
Explorer
Explorer
Harvard's advice is good, but what it amounts to is be polite and attentive. Living near the border, we cross frequently, sometimes just to go to the US for dinner, or a bit of shopping. Nine times out of 10: you hand them your passports, they ask Citizenship?, where you heading?, pass back your passports, have a nice day. I have found it is more common for additional questions going into the US: usually a few additional questions like, are you carrying any food, what do you do for a living, when was the last time you crossed, who is the owner of the car, how long will you be in the US, are you going to be doing any work into the US, have you ever been arrested etc. In the last 5 years we have crossed hundreds of times and (knock on wood) only been to secondary inspection once after a big shopping spree to pay duty on the Canadian side, and once for the car to be x-rayed on the US side.
Rob
rvtechwithrvrob.com