cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Salmon Fishing

Mr-MrsPete
Explorer
Explorer
Planning an Alaska trip with a few Buddies in my motorhome. We are going to the Kenia to fish reds in mid July. My question is how much fish are we going to be able to bring home through Cananda. Oh, I forgot, this will be a round trip from Maine.
15 REPLIES 15

notlost
Explorer
Explorer
we brought back over 400 lbs of salmon in 2014. we purchased a 5.0 cubic foot freezer that sat right in the middle of our motor home! customs never asked about fish, but like others said-they did question fruits and veggies.
we hope things haven't changed because we're going up with that freezer empty and want to fill it!
Dominic & Sue Ambrosino
Fulltimers Travelin' the U.S.A.
"All who wander are Not Lost"
2005 Beaver Patriot Thunder 42',Cat 525

Mr-MrsPete
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you everyone. I haven't fished up there in 3 years and can't wait to go back. The fishing is just a small part of the trip. The friends, scenery and general relaxation makes it all worth it!

aces-n-eights
Explorer
Explorer
On one trip south i put a freezer in the back of the pickup powered by a honda generator. I ran the genny a couple of hours a day to keep the freezer cold. I was not asked at the Canadian border about fish and reentering the US was the same - no questions about fish on board.

I have not seen any regulations in Canadian law or US law that limits fish transportation.

In over 10 round trips from AK to the L48 and back, i have never been asked about frozen fish in the vehicle. Firearms, alcohol, tobacco and some food items - yes, but never fish.

If there are regs that limit fish importation and transportation, please post a link - i'd like to know myself!

Good luck with your fishing trip - i've read the sockeye should be bigger this yearโ€ฆ last year was weird...
2004 Outfitter 9.5 Apex
2005 Chevrolet 2500 Ext cab, Long box, Duramax
US Army, retired, x 2

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2.5 cubic foot Engel freezer and had it stuffed with fish. We had no issues with customs returning to the lower 48. They were more interested in fruits and veggies than our fish and did not even ask to see it.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Here is one short item on fish. You'll need to read the regulations with your license carefully as there are many rules to be followed. Call Customs for more answers. Things like this change constantly so you'll need to be up-to-date. The easiest is to have it shipped home. When you figure how much that fish will be per pound you'll faint!! If you're just going to fish you'll have travel expense, fuel, food, lodging, licenses, processing, shipping along with other costs.

http://www.mycanadafishingvacation.com/canada-fishing-questions.aspx
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

walker111
Explorer
Explorer
joe b. wrote:
Most folks report that as long as they stay under the Alaska possession limit and identification requirements they haven't had any problems passing through Canada with their salmon.

Others will have a processor in Alaska, in the area where they caught their fish, wrap, cut and flash freeze the salmon for air shipment home, to where ever that might be. Expensive but generally trouble free way to get the fish home, especially if you don't want to mess with carrying a small freezer in your RV. Some of the private processors will store your fish frozen till a to be shipped date or when you call them to request shipment. The Fred Meyer store, among many others on the Kenai sell freezer boxes (insulated cardboard boxes) that you can use to ship them yourselves. Pack the fish frozen in the boxes, add some dry ice and take it to the Anchorage airport for immediate shipment to some person at your home location to receive them is another option. There was a processor, for lack of a better word, that would brine and smoke your fish for you and ship it to you when that process was finished.
Money is the solution to all your fishing issues. LOL

Some have reported that by plugging in their small chest freezers every night, it will stay frozen all the next day. Some will run a small generator or if they have a built in generator in their RV, will run that to keep the freezer at the temp they want.

Probably a good idea to "declare" the salmon to the Canadian agents at the border where you enter Canada so there is a record of where the origin of the fish originated, this being Alaska. Should be smooth checking out of Canada having done all this.

At the Russian and other combat fishing zones, I often see many folks, most often urban mountain men and women from Anchorage, with small chest freezers in the back of their pickups or Suv rigs running a generator to keep it frozen. Sometimes the parking lot at the Russian sounds like a generator test facility, mostly the cheap noisy type generators. Not seen a great deal of sport fishing on the Kenai in the last 20 years or so, mainly meat hunters, intent on filling their freezer with fish for the upcoming winter meals. Just a different attitude usually than those there for the experience, the fresh air, trying to prove they are smarter than a fish, etc.

on the Kenai many years ago. Took this fish home and smoked it myself. This was drift fishing on the river with a fly rod.

That is an awesome picture!
I am an avid fly fisherman and have two boys aged 10 and 12 and we get on the western rivers here a lot. Trout is regular target but have angled for Atlantic salmon too.

tonymull
Explorer
Explorer
The only sure way is to ask Canadian customs, and US customs. If you get a border agent who is a hard ass, things will be different than if you get someone else. Are you freezing or canning the fish? Your limit will be per person, so you better be able to identify which person a particular fish belongs to. Label them, canned or frozen, with someone's name and a date, caught or preserved, either one. If they are frozen they need to be frozen hard when you cross the border. That first agent I mentioned might use the splat test. They throw a fillet on the ground and if it splats it's not hard frozen, and therefore not preserved. It will count toward a daily limit. You need to leave the skin on the fillets so they can be identified as sockeye. this applies to canned or frozen. You may have your daily and possession limit according to Alaska regs, which change annually, and whatever someone tells you now may not be accurate when you are there. It should apply on the day you caught the fish, so make sure they are dated. The limit on reds often goes up or down as the run strength is known. So what I was wondering is how big a freezer you have in the rv, are you thinking that a cooler will work? You want fillets or whole fish? (border security prefers head on, but I don't think that's a law.) I've crossed many times with many fish, just coming from BC to WA. Often they don't even look or care, but then there's that one guy who does. Border security on this kind of thing, fish, seems to be more strict for US agents the farther east you go. The guys at the AK/YT border deal with this many times a day, getting back into the US you are more likely to encounter an agent who is not as accustomed to it.
Oh, and make sure you have you license with you even if it no longer valid.

The easiest way is to either have the fish shipped for you, check out Echo Lake Lockers in Soldotna. And get some of the cheese dip while you're there it's truly world famous, they ain't kidding. Or just take your frozen fish to UPS. Use their fish boxes and they guarantee it will still be frozen when it gets to Maine. Costs not too much and it will still be the cheapest salmon you can get.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
When we went fishing on Kodiak Island we did exactly what Joe B has indicated-had the fish flash frozen and then shipped back. Does cost a lot but worth it. We flew so it was the easiest thing to do. Rather than rely on information here that may be incorrect, I would suggest calling/emailing either Canadian Customs, Canadian Fish & Wildlife Service or the Border Agency. In 2 days you haven't gotten a valid answer-even if they take a day or two to respond you might be ahead of the game plus you'll have the most current and accurate information.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

joe_b_
Explorer
Explorer
Most folks report that as long as they stay under the Alaska possession limit and identification requirements they haven't had any problems passing through Canada with their salmon.

Others will have a processor in Alaska, in the area where they caught their fish, wrap, cut and flash freeze the salmon for air shipment home, to where ever that might be. Expensive but generally trouble free way to get the fish home, especially if you don't want to mess with carrying a small freezer in your RV. Some of the private processors will store your fish frozen till a to be shipped date or when you call them to request shipment. The Fred Meyer store, among many others on the Kenai sell freezer boxes (insulated cardboard boxes) that you can use to ship them yourselves. Pack the fish frozen in the boxes, add some dry ice and take it to the Anchorage airport for immediate shipment to some person at your home location to receive them is another option. There was a processor, for lack of a better word, that would brine and smoke your fish for you and ship it to you when that process was finished.
Money is the solution to all your fishing issues. LOL

Some have reported that by plugging in their small chest freezers every night, it will stay frozen all the next day. Some will run a small generator or if they have a built in generator in their RV, will run that to keep the freezer at the temp they want.

Probably a good idea to "declare" the salmon to the Canadian agents at the border where you enter Canada so there is a record of where the origin of the fish originated, this being Alaska. Should be smooth checking out of Canada having done all this.

At the Russian and other combat fishing zones, I often see many folks, most often urban mountain men and women from Anchorage, with small chest freezers in the back of their pickups or Suv rigs running a generator to keep it frozen. Sometimes the parking lot at the Russian sounds like a generator test facility, mostly the cheap noisy type generators. Not seen a great deal of sport fishing on the Kenai in the last 20 years or so, mainly meat hunters, intent on filling their freezer with fish for the upcoming winter meals. Just a different attitude usually than those there for the experience, the fresh air, trying to prove they are smarter than a fish, etc.

on the Kenai many years ago. Took this fish home and smoked it myself. This was drift fishing on the river with a fly rod.
joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2016 Fleetwood Flair 31 B Class A w/bunks
www.picturetrail.com/jbpacooper
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".

Mr-MrsPete
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I have fished the Kenia. Yes I have combat fished. No one has helped me here. What does it depend on? I have always flown, so I have never had to come back through Canada. Hence, te reason for my question.

tonymull
Explorer
Explorer
The answer depends.

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
tonymull wrote:
How do you plan to preserve them? Are you familiar with 'combat fishing"? Particular spot on the Kenai you plan to hit?
Perhaps if you answered his original question, he could better answers yours. :R

tonymull
Explorer
Explorer
Murphsmom wrote:
And whatever you do, don't stand in the water in front of the bank fishermen unless you want hooks caught in your waders. You will catch more reds from the bank!

That's true. I've landed hundreds, perhaps thousands of reds and 95% of them were within 15 feet of the bank. But perhaps the OP already knows this. that's why I asked. Whether or not you can keep your feet dry depends on the spot and how far out other anglers have wandered. At the Russian Kenai confluence, the most popular red spot in the whole state, there's a dropoff 10 feet out and that's what the fish follow, but fishermen often go out a few feet and push the fish out when they do.

Murphsmom
Explorer
Explorer
And whatever you do, don't stand in the water in front of the bank fishermen unless you want hooks caught in your waders. You will catch more reds from the bank!