Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

San Jose, CA to Banff, Canada - Take II

ZagiFlyer
Explorer
Explorer
Hello to All,

I posted this before a few weeks ago, but I've found more information on calculating grades and can now formulate a better question.

Through the miracle of Google Earth Pro (now free!), I've determined that the steepest grades in the U.S. portion of the trip are 7% and are in Idaho on 95. I'm confident that my venerable rig can handle this without issue -- it's been to Tahoe about a dozen times, it's been over the Grapevine more times than I can count, it's been to Yellowstone and to the Grand Canyon -- my point is that it can pull most grades.

(Here's the question):
Google Earth Pro (now free!) shows that H95 in Canada has at least one (maybe two, I forget) very long grade at 10-11%!

With a 6.0L gasser and a 9,000 lb 5r (see sig below), is there any reasonable hope of making that grade? I've got a pretty good-sized trans cooler and the temp hasn't gone beyond 190 no matter what (so far).

I've been told the Tioga pass out of Yosemite would be impossible for my rig and I don't want to get all the way to Canada only to find I can't get to Banff.

Any sage advise would be appreciated.
  • '23 Ford F350 diesel
  • '24 Arctic Fox 29-5T

----------------

Please

read the FAQ.
-----------------
9 REPLIES 9

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
I stand corrected. Wrong name, right number. Just a short run from Banff to Lake Louise then north on 93 (Icefields Highway) to Jasper.
2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2013 Palomino Maverick 2902
2018 GMC 3500HD, 4x4, 6.5' box, SRW, Denali, Duramax, Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

The hurrier I go the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll)

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Technically the Rocky Mountain Trench is on the west side of the parks - the route of BC95 and the Kootenay and Columbia rivers.

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
Probably if you have done the grapevine, you wouldn't have much trouble with anything else. Just don't get in a rush.

Oh and if you are going to Banff, it would be a real shame not to spend another day to go further north to Jasper along Highway 93 in the Rocky Mountain trench......

I'm just sayin...... 🙂
2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2013 Palomino Maverick 2902
2018 GMC 3500HD, 4x4, 6.5' box, SRW, Denali, Duramax, Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

The hurrier I go the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll)

Mr_Biggles
Explorer
Explorer
I've also done that drive many times (with a smaller truck and trailer ) it's not that bad at all. There are several places to stop and admire the views on the way through the pass. It's one of my favourite drives. I've seen bears and moose and wolves on this highway. Don't miss it !
2011 F-150 FX4 5.0 3.73 Tow package
2013 Evergreen i-Go G239BH

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was explicitly warned off the Tioga pass because the unanimous consensus at the time was that the grade was just too steep for my 6.0L gasser to get the 9,000# trailer over. I trust (most) people on the RV forums, so I didn't try it.

Sadly, you learned a lesson and lost out on an opportunity to cross the highest paved pass in California. You would have made it just fine, probably got two miles per gallon and gone up at 25 mph, but very doable. Unfortunately, some think you need a Peterbilt to tow a tent trailer. That kind of small thinking helps nobody.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

ZagiFlyer
Explorer
Explorer
jmtandem wrote:

I don't understand this comment at all. If you keep your temperatures in check you can climb Tioga. You might be only going 25 mph but as long as the truck's engine is not stressed it should be fine. If you want to tow up long grades half throttle at 1800 rpms and do the speed limit all the way, get a diesel. They flatten hills.

The comment comes from a trip I was planning several years ago from San Jose to Mammoth Lakes (where, as it turns out, there are no mammoth lakes). I was explicitly warned off the Tioga pass because the unanimous consensus at the time was that the grade was just too steep for my 6.0L gasser to get the 9,000# trailer over. I trust (most) people on the RV forums, so I didn't try it.
  • '23 Ford F350 diesel
  • '24 Arctic Fox 29-5T

----------------

Please

read the FAQ.
-----------------

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've been told the Tioga pass out of Yosemite would be impossible for my rig and I don't want to get all the way to Canada only to find I can't get to Banff.

I don't understand this comment at all. If you keep your temperatures in check you can climb Tioga. You might be only going 25 mph but as long as the truck's engine is not stressed it should be fine. If you want to tow up long grades half throttle at 1800 rpms and do the speed limit all the way, get a diesel. They flatten hills.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

Uncle_Rj
Explorer
Explorer
You shouldn't have an issue. We've done the Radium to Banff route many times with a 7000lb trailer and a 3.5 L Ecoboost. The downward grades were more concerning than the uphills. Just take your time and you should be fine. As the previous poster has said, you can always go through Golden. That road is a LOT busier though.

cruiserjs
Explorer
Explorer
The grade you are worried about is probably the one just out of Radium Hot Springs up and over the pass into the Kootenay valley in Kootenay National Park. Yes - firly steep but easily doable - lots of passing lanes and not really too steep. Thousands of folks do it every week. I personally have been over it many times, Should be no problem for you in your setup.
However if you really don't want to try it ( and miss some of the best scenery/wildlife viewing) you can stay north of Radium on 95 to the Transcanada at Golden and then head east to Banff etc. But then you have to cross the Great Divide on Kicking Horse Pass out of Field. Your choice but eirthe one is completely doable!!
Colorado Cruiser
Cruiser CF29CK 5th wheel; 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD, 2wd, short bed
wonderful lifetime traveling companion/spouse