cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Saratoga Springs to Freeport, Me.

_tiredTeacher
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for a little "local knowledge" on a good route towing our TT. Since we travel at 63mph on the Interstates, I often elect to take the older, pre-interstate, main roads unless there is a compelling reason not to.
My GPS wants me to go south to pick up I-90 to I-95 near Worcester.
Another option seems to be NH 9 to get I-89 near Concord. This appears to be the shortest route, but it certainly has a "back road" look to it. Anyone have an opinion on these routes? Is there another?

Teach
Wright and Penny
2010 Tundra 4X4
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
"Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows."
5 REPLIES 5

_tiredTeacher
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
Another reasonable option (not necessarily better) is to go north on I87 to the Queensbury exit, then 149 to 9N to US4 and across Vermont. I89 to Concord, I93 north a bit, and 202 into ME.

I looked at that route, too. More miles, but less distance on back roads could equal less time. As I noted in my reply to Chuck's suggestion, my wife has a built-in limiter on time spent in the truck. She thinks we're traveling for fun, after all.
Wright and Penny
2010 Tundra 4X4
2014 Rockwood 2604WS

_tiredTeacher
Explorer
Explorer
ct1964ups wrote:
If you really don't mind backroads-no interstates...go on rt 29 to Bennington,Vt then rt 9 into NH...not a bad ride ,little slower that the interstates but pretty country....

That's the route I thought looked good for seeing the country. The last time we were in upstate NY, we went from Lake Placid to Old Forge on NY routes 3 and 28, and we really enjoyed seeing the little towns and lakes. But that was only 100mi. I was concerned that taking Rt.9 to the Concord area might take too much time for one leg of a 275 mile trip. Six hours or 350 miles, whichever comes first, is my DW's travel limit.
Wright and Penny
2010 Tundra 4X4
2014 Rockwood 2604WS

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another reasonable option (not necessarily better) is to go north on I87 to the Queensbury exit, then 149 to 9N to US4 and across Vermont. I89 to Concord, I93 north a bit, and 202 into ME. You could take 4 all the way to 202 and skip I89 if desired.

ct1964ups
Explorer
Explorer
'tiredTeacher wrote:
Looking for a little "local knowledge" on a good route towing our TT. Since we travel at 63mph on the Interstates, I often elect to take the older, pre-interstate, main roads unless there is a compelling reason not to.
My GPS wants me to go south to pick up I-90 to I-95 near Worcester.
Another option seems to be NH 9 to get I-89 near Concord. This appears to be the shortest route, but it certainly has a "back road" look to it. Anyone have an opinion on these routes? Is there another?

Teach

If you really don't mind backroads-no interstates...go on rt 29 to Bennington,Vt then rt 9 into NH...rt 202 .to Concord and I-93 to Manchester,NH take rt 101 to I-95 north to Freeport....not a bad ride ,little slower that the interstates but pretty country....when in Maine...ride up to Wisscasset and have the best Lobster roll ever at Red's Eats...Chuck
2017 Newmar Mountain Aire Seville on a Freightliner/2015 Granite Grand Cherokee Limited
2012 American Tradition Merlot>>SOLD
Keep The Rubber On The Road
GO NOLES

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
Take 90 east to the Massachusetts Tpke.,then take 495 to 95 to 295 to Freeport, ME. Make sure you get a Lobster roll at Linda Bean's right next to L.L. Bean.