cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

seattle

explore2015_
Explorer
Explorer
traveling from Pacific City, Oregon and want to visit the San Juan Islands. Is it crazy to pull a travel trailer thru the Seattle area? Thought about parking it in an area like Burlington and then taking day trips over to the island since we want to bike the islands. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your input
18 REPLIES 18

Bigdog
Explorer
Explorer
1. Just take I-5 thru Seattle between 10-2 and you'll save a lot of time and money. It's not that bad. I especially wouldn't take the loop around to the east as it's WAY out of your way.
2. Ferries cost money and depending on the size of your rig, could cost you almost $100 a trip. I wouldn't worry about getting on and off either.
3. Port Townsend ferry now has the reservation system. You gotta call in advance. Also, the San Juan ferries do also and I have heard some real horror stories about that deal.
GO COUGARS
2001 Tradewinds 7390 LTC
330 Cat Turbo Freightliner Chassis
2011 Jeep Liberty(toad)

'88 Mustang 5 Spd 5.0L GT convertible (not Toad)

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm not sure that looping to the east really saves time or hassles. I live between Seattle and Everett. I've taken 203 etc back from I90 (e.g. to Duval, and then west to Woodenville). While generally pleasant in a car, I don't think it saved me time over 405. There are just too many stops and turns.

I've also taken 9 all the way from the Canadian border. It's nice (and they just replaced the narrow Pilchuck River bridge). But with development around Lake Stevens, 9 south of Arlington has become increasingly busy. I've seen a number of construction projects on the WSDOT website seeking to improve traffic flow along 9 and connecting roads.

I'd also hesitate sending visitors on these roads without knowing something about their navigation skills, etc. Often it's simpler to just stick with the freeway, and accept that there will be some stop and go stretches during rush hour.

Fuzzy_Bear
Explorer
Explorer
Pat Anderson wrote:
SR 167 is pretty bad as well.

Actually, probably the best way coming north is to avoid BOTH I-5 and I-405. Take SR-18 from Federal Way to Snoqualmie, Snoqualmie Parkway to SR-202, SR-202 west or north from Snoqualmie to Fall City, SR-203 north from Fall City to Monroe, and finally US 2 west from Monroe to I-5 in Everett. If you want to avoid Everett too (sometimes a good idea), pick up SR 9 north at Snohomish from US 2, and pop out onto i-5 at Arlington. The SR 9 route slides around to the east of most of the congested urban traffic. Even though there are a few traffic signals, most times of day it is a very good option.

This would be my recommendation. A lot more relaxing. I would even take the Hwy 9 route to Arlington to avoid Everett.
2008 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4 6spd auto.

2007 Lance 1191

Pat_Anderson
Explorer
Explorer
SR 167 is pretty bad as well.

Actually, probably the best way coming north is to avoid BOTH I-5 and I-405. Take SR-18 from Federal Way to Snoqualmie, Snoqualmie Parkway to SR-202, SR-202 west or north from Snoqualmie to Fall City, SR-203 north from Fall City to Monroe, and finally US 2 west from Monroe to I-5 in Everett. If you want to avoid Everett too (sometimes a good idea), pick up SR 9 north at Snohomish from US 2, and pop out onto i-5 at Arlington. The SR 9 route slides around to the east of most of the congested urban traffic. Even though there are a few traffic signals, most times of day it is a very good option.
Pat & Patty Anderson
2013 Columbus 295RL
2006 Silverado 3500 Duramax / Allison
1991 Alpenlite 25+2
1993 Ford F250
2005 C-Dory CD25 Cruiser
2014 Honda Forza Scooter
2013 Honda PCX150 Scooter
1987 Honda Sprees (matched set) - sold May 2015
Our blog

Dave5143
Explorer
Explorer
Pat Anderson wrote:
might head up SR-18 from Federal Way to I-90 at Snoqualmie and then west on I-90 to I-405. That stretch of I-90 is actually the most underutilized until you hit Issaquah, and then it is a short 5 miles to I-405. Just the way I see it.

What about that stretch of SR 167 (Valley Fwy) from Auburn to Renton?
Dave & Mary

2012 Denali 289RK
Ford F250 Lariat Powerstroke 6.7L Diesel

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Pat Anderson wrote:
I-405 aound Seattle is much better,

Not today. it took me 2.5 hours from Renton to Mt. Vernon. can you say bumper to bumper 5 MPH crawl. Some one did an illegal lane change, crunch, and an instant 15 mile back up.

101 much better. P.T. to Whidbey, no biggey
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Pat_Anderson
Explorer
Explorer
I would say, yes, it is crazy to pull an RV through downtown Seattle on I-5. It almost does not matter what time of day unless it is in the dead of night on a Sunday. I-405 aound Seattle is much better, and even then you can really get in a jam between Renton and Bellevue, might head up SR-18 from Federal Way to I-90 at Snoqualmie and then west on I-90 to I-405. That stretch of I-90 is actually the most underutilized until you hit Issaquah, and then it is a short 5 miles to I-405. Just the way I see it.

I second the recommendation for Fidalgo Bay RV Park in Anacortes as your home base for SJ Island explorations. Much more convenient than Burlington, and a pretty darn nice park in its own right.
Pat & Patty Anderson
2013 Columbus 295RL
2006 Silverado 3500 Duramax / Allison
1991 Alpenlite 25+2
1993 Ford F250
2005 C-Dory CD25 Cruiser
2014 Honda Forza Scooter
2013 Honda PCX150 Scooter
1987 Honda Sprees (matched set) - sold May 2015
Our blog

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
The OP lists NH as location. Assuming that means New Hampshire, it means they probably are used to dealing with east coast traffic. Seattle shouldn't be any worse than Boston/NY or Chicago (on the way west).

Olympia to Marysville is a continuous stretch of urban freeway, with 1 or 2 choices, plus city streets. It can be bypassed on west via US101 or routes up the Kitsap Pennisula, but that requires some ferry rides to get the San Juan ferries.

Moved from Forum Technical Support

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
explore2015? wrote:
traveling from Pacific City, Oregon and want to visit the San Juan Islands. Is it crazy to pull a travel trailer thru the Seattle area? Thought about parking it in an area like Burlington and then taking day trips over to the island since we want to bike the islands. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your input

How big is your travel trailer?

Were I making your trip from the Or. coast. I'd use Highway 101 all the way to Port Townsend. take the ferry across to Whidbey Island. Then use the camp ground at Faldago Bay. then the bikes to the ferry. (it's about 4-5 miles)

Only consideration is the tides, getting a travel trailer on and off the ferry might be a problem.

101 is very scenic, and has many camp grounds in the Olympic National Park. Plus you miss the entire city of Seattle.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
obgraham wrote:
The big trucks pull through Seattle all the time,so it can be done, but there really are only two expressways, and the term "express" does not fit. Traffic is always pretty heavy, and often at a 5-lane standstill.

Any plan which avoids the RV through downtown or around on the 405 is a better plan.

We use I-5 north and south the traffic is horrible week days, but take your time, it's doable. weekends are a lot better. unless there is a game down town.

and remember the state speed limit for any body towing, or any one over 10,000 pounds is 60 MPH. and stay out of the left lane.

once north of Exit 206, you are home free. there is a very nice rest area a mile north of exit 206 to use to calm your nerves, before the 1 hour trip to Anacortes.

The 1 camp ground that I forgot is the new one at the Swinomish Indian Res. on highway 20, (4 miles east of Anacortes.) and the cheapest gas/diesel in the area.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
Put your trailer at Chehalis, La Conner or Mt. Vernon and use the TV to get to the port..check online for specials on the ferry..sent you a PM....Dennis

Chehalis is south of Seattle and about a 2 hour drive to Anacortes ferry terminal, Laconner's Pot Latch resort is closed. The 2 camp grounds in Mt. Vernon are closed.

Your best choices are Faldago Bay Resort, Deception Pass State park, North Whidbey Campground across highway 20 from Deception pass S/P. The best of those is Faldago bay.

Are you military? DOD civil Service? the best camp ground in the area is the Camp ground on NAS

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
It depends on what you mean by puling it "through" Seattle. If you mean going down the freeways then there's no problem. If you mean getting off those freeways and dragging it through town, there's no way I would try that.

Good luck.
Scott

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Avoid Seattle between 5 and 10 in the morning and between 2 and 8 in the evening and you should be OK. Traffic is bad anytime of the day or night, but rush hour is worst. Since this is your first time, stick on I405. There are several camp grounds in and around Anacortes. Years ago when we toured the San Juans we used the county park about a half mile from the ferry terminal.