cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sedona in December?

dtoste77
Explorer
Explorer
So we just got back from our 10 day road trip through the PNW and already talking about where our next trip is going to be.

We're thinking of driving to Sedona from the Bay Area the week of Christmas. Anybody have any experience with Sedona this time of year? I read it can get a light dusting of snow but that it's typically mild highs in the 50s.

Ideally we'd also take a day trip to the Grand Canyon. We'll be towing our Jeep 4x4 with us as well.
18 REPLIES 18

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
I attended a "Scamp Camp" (A fiberglass trailer rally) in December 2015. Attended the Festival of Lights at the Tlaquepaque Arts & Crafts Village which was interesting. We had 1/2" of snow, and I headed back to Quartzsite before a bigger storm the next day. Didn't get to see much of the surrounding area, but will go back in better weather - it looked beautiful. I Agree that the town is a tourist trap...

A Couple days of journal starts here.

Hermes1
Explorer
Explorer
We live in Phoenix and love to go to Sedona periodically through out the year. Yes it is almost always crowded, as is most popular tourist destinations. The crowds do not impact the beauty of the place, only the getting around town and that is not usually terrible. Bottom line if you want to go, you should. As a recommendation for a park to stay in if your travel plans include staying in or near Sedona, I highly recommend Rancho Sedona RV Park, it is the only RV park in Sedona and not only a very nice park, but is walking distance from downtown Sedona and easy drive to many of the sites. Another recommendation I have is Lo Lo Mai just outside of Sedona near Page Springs and McGuireville. This is a nice park if you want a more get away from the crowds, not packed in like sardines experience, yet with full hookups. It is an easy and short drive to Sedona. As mentioned in December, Sedona can get snow but not enough to not make the trip.
2017 Eagle Cap 1165
2015 Ram 3500 Bighorn DRW 3:73 Gears and AISIN Tranny
Gone but not forgotten:
2014 Northwood Mfg. Snow River 246 RKS
2013 Aliner Expedition

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
Harold...I think you need to settle down. You are referring to "INVADERS".....oh, you mean tourists like the OP is about to become???

The tourists certainly do not block or blur the beautiful red rock views. And not ALL shops are new-agey. There are some beautiful art galleries, t-shirt shops, hike shops, bike shops, etc....as well as supermarkets, banks, restaurants, etc.

OP...I-10 is quite a bit out of the way for you. I would just hope that the weather cooperates for your time table, but certainly make a plan B. If there is an active snowstorm, I would not drive through...maybe lay back in Kingman for a night. If I-40 or I-17 gets so bad as to require chains, the bad sections are usually closed down for a few hours. If you do take I-10 and do not want to drive through central Phoenix, you can take Loop 303 west of Phx to I-17 north of Phx.
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

Lady_Fitzgerald
Explorer
Explorer
Sedona itself is overcrowded with tourists and traffic and the shops are all New Agey and ridiculously overpriced but the surrounding area is beautiful to visit. I've seen many people recommend a State Park near Cottonwood to camp at and then drive the toad for sightseeing around Sedona. When I drive up to Flagstaff, I like to go back home by way of Oak Creek Canyon despite the heavy traffic.

Although I've yet to try them, friends of mine recommend the Pink Jeep Tours. I have no issue with letting someone else do the driving.

There is a great little Mexican food restaurant in Sedona in Hillside shopping center on AZ 179 (heading back toward I-17, it will be on the left) called Javelina Cantina. They get a fair amount of business but I've never had a problem getting a table there, the food and service is excellent, and the prices are reasonable. Stay away from Oaxaca Grill in Sedona. The food is ok but the tables are crowded together, the service is less than stellar, and the prices are astronomical.

December weather is varied. Sedona rarely gets snow anymore but, when it does, it is beautiful up on top of the red rocks and the rim. I rarely lasts through the morning on the ground when it does reach the ground.

Seeing the Grand Canyon as a day trip from Sedona may be a bit ambitious and snow definitely can be an issue. There is a steam powered train that runs from Williams up on I-40 to the Grand Canyon and you can make arrangements to spend the night at a hotel at the Canyon, then return by train to Williams the next day. Williams doesn't get as much snow as Flagstaff.

Sedona itself is an over glorified tourist trap now but the surrounding area is well worth visiting. I live down in the Phoenix area so it makes for a nice day trip. Before I became too old and decrepit, I used to do a lot of day hikes and mountain climbing in the area.
Jeannie

jarata1
Explorer
Explorer
Harold Fairbanks II wrote:
jarata1 wrote:

he asked about weather not your feelings on the town

He asked about Sedona not your feelings on my posts.

what a dink

dtoste77
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. I can deal with crowds. Would it make sense to drive I-10 vs. 1-40? I don't mind staying outside of Sedona and traveling in with the toad. I'deally I'd like to stay in one park when there and also taking the toad to the Grand Canyon. It's a 4x4 so driving in snow should be fine.

With regard to snow levels, would it be enough to require chains for the motorhome?

doc_brown
Explorer
Explorer
We love Sedona anytime of the year. We've been there during all 4 seasons. Some have referred to traffic, nothing as bad as we are used to living in Los Angeles. Park the rv and take the toad around and enjoy the beauty of the area.
Steve,Kathy and Josh
Morpheus(Basenji)at Rainbow Bridge
2004 40' TSDP Country Coach Inspire DaVinci
350 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S, Air Force One Braking, Blue Ox

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
Spent a week exploring the Sedona area a couple of months ago{ last May} and a week just south of Flagstaff {Pine grove CG} in July. To explore Sedona we stayed at and thoroughly enjoyed Dead Horse Ranch State Park in Cottonwood. We had been in this area several times over the years and knew what to expect. Harold's hysteria aside... Sedona is still a lot of fun and drop dead gorgeous.

Yes, Sedona is crowded but that has had little effect on the views. We cruised the area on the back of my Harley which eliminated most of the driving issues. Hit town before 11 for the best experience. No the many, many round abouts are not problem except for a few folks who simply don't know how to drive but you find them pretty much everywhere.

As noted Do NOT drive Oak Creek Canyon in an RV especially if towing anything. Vehicles over 50' are outright prohibited and there is extensive road construction continuing at the north end of the canyon. December may bring snow, Flagstaff got 6 inches on may 9th and the temps in OCC were hovering in the mid thirties. The first 7 or 8 miles of OCC as you head north out of Sedona {the road}, is terrible with lots of potholes and virtually no shoulder.

Take a ride {in your toad or tv not the RV}, up to Jerome. I recommend Haunted Hamburger at the top of the town for a spectacular view {and great burgers}. The Tuxigoot Ruins and Verde Valley Railroad should be on every visitors short list of fun stuff as well.

I-40 from Williams into Flagstaff and I-17 from Verde Valley north to Flagstaff are two of the worst stretches of interstate in the country. Lots of severe potholes and poor concrete band aid patch jobs that are almost worse than the original pothole. Lake Mary road is a delightful alternative running south from Flagstaff all the way to 87 south of Happy Jack.

:C

Harold_Fairbank
Explorer
Explorer
jarata1 wrote:

He asked about Sedona not your feelings on my posts.

jarata1
Explorer
Explorer
Harold Fairbanks II wrote:
Sedona USED to be great. Now it sucks.

It's wall-to-wall traffic, all group-think authoritarians cluttering every inch of real estate.

I would NEVER go there unless I was real close...and then, it's just a drive-thru (that takes HOURS). There are what seems like millions of people everywhere.

Every corner has the same new-age-y stores, the exact same atmosphere...group-think tourist town consumerism. Bleck.

Again...USED to be great. There is absolutely no reason to go there anymore...unless you like being around thousands of those sorts of people, and enjoy waiting in your car to move a foot or so.

RIP Sedona

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
Well I haven't been there for 2 years now but it's not all that Harold is making it out to be. Are there crowds? Of course. But in almost 20 years of going there that's mainly on the week-end. Only once on a Sat did we ever experience traffic that Harold claims is normal and that was between Oak Creek village and Sedona. We go there for the beauty of the area and the hiking as well as using it for a base to do day trips. Seeing the red rock country with a mantle of snow is beautiful and it'll probably be gone by mid afternoon

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
We visited Sedans a few years ago in December, a couple of weeks before Christmas. There were no crowds nor traffic, but someone we met there said it was definitely a lull before tourist season started again!

I'm not sure what was being said about the hippie shops, that's not why we went there. We took day trips all over the place, and there is a lot to See! Lots of great hiking as well. When we went, it was cooler in the morning, but warmed up pretty well by mid-day. The GC was about 30 when we got there.

You may want to adjust your timing a little if you can. Not saying it would "suck" if you didn't, but why go when it's crowded if you don't have to?

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Harold, are you off your medication again?

Harold_Fairbank
Explorer
Explorer
Janss wrote:
Well, I am not a group-think authoritarian! Nor am I cluttering every inch of real estate! I've lived in Sedona for over 25 years in a house that was built in the 1970's. Geez!

Settle down, Beavis.

You are EXACTLY the type of person I was NOT talking about.

I was referring to the INVADERS that you ADMIT have changed Sedona...making driving 1 mile take 1 hour.

You say to look at the scenery...I'm sorry, but most of the scenery is blurred by acres of filthy pseudo-hippie-berniebot-wannabes and/or the endless mid-2000's has-been era new-age-y "art" shops and organic eateries.

No thanks.