cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sedona in December?

dtoste77
Explorer
Explorer
So we just got back from our 10 day road trip through the PNW and already talking about where our next trip is going to be.

We're thinking of driving to Sedona from the Bay Area the week of Christmas. Anybody have any experience with Sedona this time of year? I read it can get a light dusting of snow but that it's typically mild highs in the 50s.

Ideally we'd also take a day trip to the Grand Canyon. We'll be towing our Jeep 4x4 with us as well.
18 REPLIES 18

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I am not a group-think authoritarian! Nor am I cluttering every inch of real estate! I've lived in Sedona for over 25 years in a house that was built in the 1970's. Geez!

Harold Fairbanks II....That's great that you never want to visit Sedona again. Makes more room for the "millions" of other people who want to enjoy the beauty of the area.

dtoste77....What you've read is correct. When it snows in Sedona, it's usually just a few inches and practically gone by noon. Actually this usually happens in Jan. and Feb. Snow makes the red rocks look really pretty. December weather will likely bring sunny days with daytime temps in the 50s and 60s, nights in the 30s or possibly dip into the high 20s.

I'd be more concerned with driving on I-40 through Flagstaff (on the way to Sedona), which is at higher elevation and therefore gets more snow. Same with Grand Canyon. But if you're in Sedona for several days, you can just check the weather for which day to take a day trip to GC.

Rancho Sedona is the only RV park actually in Sedona. Nearby is Dead Horse Ranch State Park in Cottonwood and Distant Drums RV Park in Camp Verde. There are several other private parks in those towns also.

Yes, it's true traffic has increased over the years. Sedona has become very popular. If you are moving slowly in traffic, just enjoy the scenery all around you. You can still feel serenity out on a trail in the red rocks and just avoid the retail areas and art galleries if you don't like that stuff.

Don't be concerned if someone talks about all the roundabouts. I drive them easily with my MH and tow car. Also don't drive the MH in Oak Creek Canyon (Hwy 89A) between Flagstaff and Sedona. Take I-17 instead. Do take the toad up OCC though!
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

Harold_Fairbank
Explorer
Explorer
Having lived in Flagstaff for a time, the weather will be clear unless precipitation is predicted. In that case it will snow...even with temperatures in the 40s-50s the snow usually remains on the ground for a time.

Regarding the traffic...it will be wall-to-wall. It almost ALWAYS is nowadays, even on weekdays in the "off-season."

Sedona used to be beautiful, tranquil, colorful, peaceful, and awe-inspiring.

Now it's thousands of the same person crowding the streets, the shops, the cars, the atmosphere, and the air.

If you think there are alot of people at WalMart on Black Friday then multiply that by 10,000 and you get an idea of modern-day Sedona.

There are SOOOOOO many more amazing things to see in that area...without ALL THOSE people.

dtoste77
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, for the feedback..

I'd still like to go and would appreciate any insight to the weather and roads in December. Will also be driving to the Grand Canyon.

Harold_Fairbank
Explorer
Explorer
Sedona USED to be great. Now it sucks.

It's wall-to-wall traffic, all group-think authoritarians cluttering every inch of real estate.

I would NEVER go there unless I was real close...and then, it's just a drive-thru (that takes HOURS). There are what seems like millions of people everywhere.

Every corner has the same new-age-y stores, the exact same atmosphere...group-think tourist town consumerism. Bleck.

Again...USED to be great. There is absolutely no reason to go there anymore...unless you like being around thousands of those sorts of people, and enjoy waiting in your car to move a foot or so.

RIP Sedona