cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

SF-Golden Gate Bridge north

MarshaNichols
Explorer
Explorer
I am going to be driving CA-101 from San Jose north to Garberville. I have a Class C 24' rig. I am a little concerned about 19th Street through SF and Gold Gate Park and going across the Golden Gate Bridge. Need suggestions please! Thanks! ๐Ÿ˜„
10 REPLIES 10

haddy1
Explorer
Explorer
svjim wrote:
As you are coming from Salinas, I am going to assume that you have already been to the Golden Gate Bridge. If so, I would take 880 N in San Jose to 580 and use the Richmond San Rafael Bridge to cross the bay. 580 intersects 101 North shortly after crossing the bay. While some may think so, in my opinion there really is nothing particularly enjoyable about crossing the Golden Gate with an RV. So unless you are dead set on crossing the Golden Gate, I would recommend crossing using the Richmond San Rafael bridge.

Enjoy your vacation,

Jim

If you choose the Richmond Bridge, you will be going in the toll direction. It's going to cost you over $20 for 4 axles. The GG is free going northbound.
2019 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH
2018 Grand Cherokee Toad

MarshaNichols
Explorer
Explorer
Leeblev wrote:
While you can do it, that part of the state is soooo crowded and everyone is in such a hurry that it won't be much fun.
If you want to cross the GG Bridge, I would park my rig. If you don't have a toad, go ahead and drive it. The bridge is neat, just getting there from the south is scary.
If you want to avoid the problem, I suggest taking 880 or 680 around. If you take 880, you transition to 80 in Oakland and then take 37 in Vallejo to Lakeville Rd., then to Petaluma and pick up 101. While on Lakeville, you will pass a miniature horse farm. Beautiful animals.
YOu can take 680 across the Benicia bridge, then 780 to 80 to 37.
Depends on whether you want to drive across the GG Bridge.

Actually I am trying to avoid all bridges and congested areas.

svjim
Explorer
Explorer
As you are coming from Salinas, I am going to assume that you have already been to the Golden Gate Bridge. If so, I would take 880 N in San Jose to 580 and use the Richmond San Rafael Bridge to cross the bay. 580 intersects 101 North shortly after crossing the bay. While some may think so, in my opinion there really is nothing particularly enjoyable about crossing the Golden Gate with an RV. So unless you are dead set on crossing the Golden Gate, I would recommend crossing using the Richmond San Rafael bridge.

Enjoy your vacation,

Jim
2014 Adventurer 86SBS
1999 F250 HD 7.3 Powerstroke Diesel
Bilstein Shocks,Timbrens
Hellwig Big Wig Anti-Sway bars

Rocky2
Explorer
Explorer
That is the route I always take. Just make sure you stay in the center lane on 19th. Delivery trucks seem to always be double parking when I am there. Timing your trip will reduce some of the stress and timing the stop lights becomes a game worth playing.

haddy1
Explorer
Explorer
It's the same route that the Golden Gate busses use. I've done it many times in everything from a van with trailer to my current motorhome pulling a Jeep.

Don't follow CA101 (Van Ness), use 19th Ave. and all will be fine.

BTW, In case you don't know, Northbound is the free direction on the GG Bridge.
2019 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH
2018 Grand Cherokee Toad

kalynzoo
Explorer
Explorer
I've gone that way many times, we like Petaluma KOA, even with a 39 ft and toad the bridge is doable...not fun, but I've been in much worse.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
There always seems to be construction somewhere along that route, I would not let that deter me. I did it in a 28ft class C and it was a piece of cake. just stay in the center lane after the exit on 19 AVE not street.

It is a a great view and well worth the drive and when you get to the north end there is a viewing area that has places to park a rig of your size, I had no problem with parking mine.

You won't regret it. If you have Google Earth you can do a street view all the way across and into the parking area.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Ah, come on, it ain't that bad and it only takes an hour out of your life. I can't remember 19th Street, I thought it was Van Ness north and the follow the signs to the Bridge.

If this is your only chance, go for it. If you know you're coming back, a later date when the construction is finished might be better.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Murphsmom
Explorer
Explorer
We were there last Sunday and the traffic getting onto the Golden Gate was TERRIBLE! There is road construction that has everything snarled up. I, too, would advise skipping this route.

Leeblev
Explorer
Explorer
While you can do it, that part of the state is soooo crowded and everyone is in such a hurry that it won't be much fun.
If you want to cross the GG Bridge, I would park my rig. If you don't have a toad, go ahead and drive it. The bridge is neat, just getting there from the south is scary.
If you want to avoid the problem, I suggest taking 880 or 680 around. If you take 880, you transition to 80 in Oakland and then take 37 in Vallejo to Lakeville Rd., then to Petaluma and pick up 101. While on Lakeville, you will pass a miniature horse farm. Beautiful animals.
YOu can take 680 across the Benicia bridge, then 780 to 80 to 37.
Depends on whether you want to drive across the GG Bridge.
Lee

2001 36' Kountry Star DP