cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smokey Mountain NP

JnJnKatiebug
Explorer
Explorer
I am making a business trip in a couple of weeks. I will be driving my pickup and staying in hotels (yuck). I have a meeting in Anderson SC on Thursday afternoon then my next meeting is in Nashville TN on Saturday morning so I have a day to kill. I was thinking about driving thru the park. Is the road from Cherokee to Gatlinburg open this time of year? If so how long does it take to make a leisure drive thru the park.
2016 Chevy Tahoe
2017 Flagstaff 26FKWS
(Picture in profile)

"The best things in life are the people you love, the places you've seen,
and the memories you've made along the way".
6 REPLIES 6

OutdoorPhotogra
Explorer
Explorer
Make the hike to Alum Cave Bluffs if you have time. Mt Leconte is the peak but Alum Cave Bluffs is doable in half a day.
2008 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 5th Wheel
F-250 6.2 Gasser

Former PUP camper (Rockwood Popup Freedom 1980)

JnJnKatiebug
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info. Looking forward to checking it out.
2016 Chevy Tahoe
2017 Flagstaff 26FKWS
(Picture in profile)

"The best things in life are the people you love, the places you've seen,
and the memories you've made along the way".

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, it should be fine. Nothing but snow and fires close the road. As long as you are looking to kill a day start at the Museum of the Cherokee Indian right there in Cherokee. Then make a stop at the Oconaluftee visitor center at the entrance of the park. A not to be missed stop is Clingmans Dome, the highest point in the park, great view. Lots of water falls to see along the way if you don't mind a little hike so bring the hiking boots. Then you have a stop at Newfound Gap, Then the down hill side of the trip into Gatlinburg so you can either make a stop in town or head west at the turn off at the Sugarlands center to go to Cades Cove and Townsend area. You can pick up I-40 by way of Rt. 321 and cruise on into Nashville.

Mileage wise its only 35 miles from Cherokee to Gatlinburg but the speed limit is 35 all the way thru the park and depending on traffic it will take and hour if you drive straight thru, throw in a few stops and it can be who knows how long. All up to you.

Alabama_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
It stays open most of the year. Unless there is a freak cold weather front coming in, you should be okay.

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check TDOT Smartway Traffic for any weather related or other road closings. Do the same on NC DOT.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Barring some problem the road is open 365 days a year. It takes maybe 3 hours including a stop at the Gap.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper