cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spokane to Calgary with heavy load - best way?

rockchuk
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, this is my 1st post and I really appreciate your feedback on the best route to take from Spokane to Calgary. I am underpowered and overloaded (Toyota T100 pulling a 20' travel trailer full of paintings and frames). I know the most direct route is via Sandpoint ID through Cranbrook on Hwy 3. I know most of that is 2 lane hwy, but the mountains concern me as I really have to gear down and take my time. Will I be holding up traffic causing safety issues or are there plenty of passing lanes?

I've been told I should stick with interstate 90 east to 15 north through Idaho and enter Canada through Sweetgrass MT. But that's an extra 285 miles! However, if it's a lot easier and less stressful I would be tempted to go that route. Getting there in one piece is what's required. 🙂

What is your experience on this? Your feedback is really appreciated....thank you!
RC
15 REPLIES 15

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
I-90 to I-15 more grades, 4th of July , Lookout, etc
Your other route has fewer

Be advised, if the Canadian border folk think you're unsafely overloaded
they can refuse you entry
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.