cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Streets and Trips Alternative for Mexico?

kca87
Explorer
Explorer
Hi there,

For several years, we used Microsoft Streets and Trips along with the GPS attachment in our laptop and it was great because we did not need an internet connection to find our way around.

Has anyone found a good alternative to S&Ts that does not rely on internet that can be used in a laptop or tablet?

I know S&T still works, but now the maps are outdated now - many of the streets I use don't appear, etc.

Thanks!
29 REPLIES 29

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
TOM TOM GPS HAS MEXICO MAP option
Delorme street atlas USA PLUS has Mexican roads and is computer based.
I have both
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

keelhauler1
Explorer
Explorer
The 2797 LMT Garmin works great in MX. It has a 7" high resolution screen and doesn't get sun glare so it is easy to see.
The best thing is you can Upload .gpx files that you save using Street & Trips. I have an old post that explains how to do this.
You can buy these with free shipping direct from Garmin for $200. Maps for lifetime, 4 times/year.
Garmin-2797

You can also upload free OSM (Mexico) maps into your Garmin.

The Garmin comes with Mexico & Canada maps- All of North America.
John

All my Mexico Trips
-------------------------------------------

briansue
Explorer
Explorer
Plus there are reports that S&T does not work well on Windows 8 or 10.

We have one computer with 8 and one with 10 and S&T works great in both - bit not touch screen obviously.

JeffersonCamper
Explorer
Explorer
"Here" maps for Windows 8, 8.1 & 10
Look in the Windows app store.
Frank in Toronto
formerly:
2 Westfalia campers (in Europe)
2 VW/Winnebago Eurovan campers
2004 Rialta HD :
Now: 2001 Hymer B654 in Europe: the "Jefferson Campervan"
The Jefferson Campervan Travel Pages

Wm_Elliot
Explorer
Explorer
Plus there are reports that S&T does not work well on Windows 8 or 10.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
This subject come up on forums for both RV'rs and Truckers. Short answer is there is nothing equal to S& T. I am lucky to have bough the last version.

Moisheh

4aSong
Explorer
Explorer
I was looking at MAPS.ME and cannot find where it will work on a PC Laptop, am I missing something?

Maps.me

Also looked at openstreetmap.org but cannot find if it will work on my PC.

I am currently using my outdated Microsoft S&T w/GPS.
M & N

Tundra TRD V8 4x4 w/Leer Shell
EU2000i * Prodigy * McKesh * Trek * Renogy * ENU

shutdown
Explorer
Explorer
double post...sorry

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
The Mexican map company Guia Roji has maps on CD's that can be down loaded to a laptop and maybe a tablet, I do not know how good they are I have only used the paper maps, may be someone has used them and can give us a heads up.

navegator

shutdown
Explorer
Explorer
Google maps on any Android or IOS device. you need not have constant connection to the internet for it to work.

daveyuhas
Explorer
Explorer
kca87 wrote:
I have looked at Maps.me and I am using a free version but it does not have very good maps for La Paz.

The OSM for La Paz: https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/266478791#map=12/24.1104/-110.3257

briansue
Explorer
Explorer
We still use our Streets & Trips but know there are roads not on it. We use that in conjunction with our GARMIN and try to keep the GARMIN up to date. We much prefer S&T because of the large computer screen - our old eyes can't see those little cell phone screens. I have heard good and bad about Delorme so have not tried one. I am thinking I may try one one of these days but want to see one in action first.

daveyuhas
Explorer
Explorer
A map resource that I've read about is Open Street Map aka OSM - https://www.openstreetmap.org/about.

kca87
Explorer
Explorer
I have looked at Maps.me and I am using a free version but it does not have very good maps for La Paz. Maybe I need to purchase it - but I wanted to find out what the recommendation from this forum was before I do that.

If that is the best one - then I will purchase it and maybe I'll get better maps??

daveyuhas
Explorer
Explorer
Have you looked at maps.me (http://maps.me/en/home)?