Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggested border crossing?

GGeorge
Explorer
Explorer
Hello 2015 group,

I am and will be going to Alaska in 2016. The route I have planned from Washington State is north on US 395 from Kettle Falls to Grand Forks, CAN, then taking CAN 3 west to Osoyoos, CAN.

I picked this route because I figure Osoyoos would be a very busy crossing due to route 97.

Did I pick a good (less used, easy, short lines) crossing?

Anyone have experience with this crossing?

Of course, thanks in advance.

GGeorge
GGeorge
Marietta, Ohio
2014 Coachmen Encounter
2010 Jeep Liberty
12 REPLIES 12

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
We made easy crossings at Sumas, Washington.

Google for Canadian border crossings before your trip to make sure of the hours. They aren't open 24 hours.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

jimbob3ca
Explorer
Explorer
You don't say what time of the year you will be crossing. If it is in July or August, wait times could be longer, in May or June, not so much. The day of the week could also be a factor. Sunday afternoon or Monday on a long weekend coming north will be busy. Friday afternoon on the weekend going south will also be busy. We often cross at Roosville in southeastern B. C. into Montana and normally see fewer than three or four vehicles. However, the times I mentioned can see wait times of well over an hour.

Russell_Clifton
Explorer
Explorer
We crossed into Canada at Osoyoos Friday, May 1st, mid morning. There was no one else in line,just us. Took a few minutes because I had a firearm to declare. Everyone was great.
We crossed back into the states at Sumas Wa. All they seemed to care about was why I was crossing so early in the morning. He was very rude, but only took a few minutes.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think time is more important than where. I'd try not to go through on a Friday afternoon or on the weekend when the weekend traffic is crossing the boarder.

The last time we went south I stumped the inspector when entering the US. She came into the MH to inspect the refrigerator and saw an empty plastic cherry container and asked if I had any more as I couldn't take Canadian cherries into the US. I'd already eaten all of them, so it didn't matter. But, I showed her the container saying they were cherries grown in Washington and imported into Canada in the first place. She had no idea if I could take Washington cherries back into Washington.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
Now for road conditions:
The route you have picked all the way up 395 to the Canadian Boarder is relatively flat until you get to Rock Creek.
From Rock Creek you will start climbing up and over towards Anarchist Mountain, from the summit you will start to descend down into Osoyoos. The hill down into Osoyoos, is a bearcat! When I take my 34ft 5er down that hill I sit in Second gear and use my breaks only to keep my speed in check ( below 35 mph) and I leave it there. I let the transmission do all the work. There will be a rest area with a picnic site on the Left hand side of the road as your going towards Osoyoos on Hwy 3. The long steep hill is not far past this point so when you start down take your time.
You can also take Hwy 33 to Kelowna where you can meet up with Hwy 97. This road is relatively flat unit you get to the Break Check point on which you will see on the right hand side of the Hwy about 2 miles past the Mccullough road jct with Hwy 33.
From the Break check I put my rig again in 2nd and only use my breaks to keep my speed in check. This hill is not as steep as Anarchist and not near as long, I usually will use this route because of the that hill going in Osoyoos.
Either one is doable I'm just giving you the heads up.
Enjoy your trip north
Soup.
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

GGeorge
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all.

GGeorge
GGeorge
Marietta, Ohio
2014 Coachmen Encounter
2010 Jeep Liberty

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
We crossed into Canada at Sweetgrass and back into the lower 48 at Osoyoos. Both times were quick even though we were stopped by U.S. Customs for a look in our fridge.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have never had a problem at the Osoyoos crossing other than having an agricultural inspector check our fridge. She was very pleasant but we lost some tomatoes we had forgotten to use. The wait was minimal and that was in high season.
Be aware that not all border crossings are open 24 hours, the Laurier ID customs is open 8:00 am to midnight.

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
I thnk you are referring to Carson. I have been thru it once. And no time iusses, but as has been mentioned..there are no guarantees. Osoyoos is usally a good crossing to consider as well. I`d say...don`t plan your route around which crossing but rather what you want to see and do. I think people put far too much emotional fear into a border crossing. And let me assure you, I have had some winners...going both directions. But, ultimatley, because I wasn`t doing anything that was illeagal, it was just an inconvience. Yes, RV has been searched. I have had food seized, more than once. Been lectured about pet food...and eggs, once. It`s just the way it is. Unless a person is really quite stupid..and there is no shortage..even if you get the `snake eyes`...it`s done and forgotten.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
We used Osoyoos earlier this year. Had about 5 minute wait. Southbound was a little longer.
I would say it depends on what road you are approaching on as to where to cross.
Eureka, MT is a good crossing just north west of Glacier.
Sweetgrass, MT was bad.
Crossing on MT 17 north of St. Mary was interesting. Very small and lightly manned but easy crossing.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
Sometimes the smaller crossings are more diligent about their work because they have less traffic going through. If it is a slow day, they have more time to check into you and might pull you over for a search.

The border crossing at Beaver Creek, from Alaska into Yukon on the Alaska Highway is well known for its diligence.
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

RangerJay
Explorer
Explorer
One of the secrets to avoiding waits at busy crossings is to time when you plan on coming across - even the small crossings can get crazy busy. In our area we have three small crossings - the wait can be nothing, can be minutes, or can be hours - entirely dependent upon what day and time you cross. This website might help you out:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/bwt-taf/menu-eng.html

Jay
2002 Bambi 19' - the "Toaster"
2009 Nissan Pathfinder - the "Buggy"