cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Suggestions/Advice for Nova Scotia and PEI

busterbrown73
Explorer
Explorer
We're in the planning phase of an 18 day summer trip up the eastern coast of the US into Canada and onto Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island. We're pulling our 35 foot travel trailer and traveling with our three boys (ages 8, 4, and 3) and our 10 year old pooch. Our trip begins from southeast Michigan with a quick visit to a friend in NYC. Then we head northeast towards Maine.

Neither the DW or myself have been up into these maritime provinces, nor farther north than Boston. Our plans are to stay in Maine for a couple of nights then head into Canada.

Any significant difference between crossing the border in Calais or Houlton?

I've been scouring the internet for advice on RV ferry travel between the Canadian provinces. Recommendations appreciated as far as best pricing, routes between NS and PEI, and must see attractions along the way.

Some of NS sites we want to visit include:

1. Cape Breton Highlands National Park including the Cabot Trail and Skyline trail
2. Peggy's Cove
3. Halifax
4. The Bay of Fundy
5. Louisbourg Harbor
6. Citadel National Historic Site

Any other "must sees" either in NS or on PEI?

As far as RV parks or campgrounds, I would love to hear suggestions from those who have stayed at some in these provinces.

We'd like to return from the maritime provinces into the US and travel through NH, Vermont and upper NY state for a couple of days. Our final destination would be Niagra Falls before heading back to Michigan. Any suggestions on a route?

Thanks in advance.
32 REPLIES 32

busterbrown73
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the responses so far. Nova Scotia is bigger than I thought as I don't want to pull our trailer all over the province. What options, locations, and campgrounds are recommended in the northeast if we want to do day trips to Cape Breton?

Same for the southwest. At least 2-3 days are planned to visit Halifax and to see the high/low tides off the bay of Fundy. What is a good for a base camp for day trips in the southwest? Anyone stayed at the KOA near Halifax? Recommended?

pyoung47
Explorer
Explorer
In Acadia, the campground on the Schoodic Peninsula is much easier to get in to and out of -- the sites in the campgrounds on the main part of the park are more scenic, but more cramped. You will want reservations if you are going in the summer.

PEI is great, but you will probably need reservations there as well. There are several provincial as well as a national park. We stayed in two of the provincial parks, and we were able to get sites right on the water. If you call the parks for reservations, they are very helpful to tell you what is available. After July 1, however, most of the sites near the water will be taken by folks who just spend the summer there. Be sure to visit the North Cape Wind Energy center. It is a great place to have some local food as well. Be sure to sample the mussels. Don't forget the potato museum as well.

Price to cross the bridge back to civilization a little over $60 CDN.

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
ssthrd wrote:
@LK.......

Didn't mean to upset you. I apologize if I did. I absolutely agree that Meat Cove is a special place for sure, and I think that everyone should go there for clam chowder.

I just wonder how the drive would be towing a 35' travel trailer. It has been many years since I have been there (born and raised in NS), and I remember a dirt road that was rough and narrow in places. No doubt it is paved now, but I don't know.....

Maybe OP can call ahead to get more info.........

It was paved when I was last there bit before 2000. Should be better. https://novascotia.ca/tran/cameras/ Check cams when the weather is better. Snow in forecast there for tonight. All of the Atlantic Canada provinces have web cams. I have urls for all if interested.

Has anyone mentioned getting visitors guides yet. Google "name of province tourism".

:C

Just about everyone in Atlantic Canada does a seafood chowder. I like New Glasgow Lobster Suppers (PEI) best because they don't use scallops. & I'm allergic to scallops.
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
@LK.......

Didn't mean to upset you. I apologize if I did. I absolutely agree that Meat Cove is a special place for sure, and I think that everyone should go there for clam chowder.

I just wonder how the drive would be towing a 35' travel trailer. It has been many years since I have been there (born and raised in NS), and I remember a dirt road that was rough and narrow in places. No doubt it is paved now, but I don't know.....

Maybe OP can call ahead to get more info.........
2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2013 Palomino Maverick 2902
2018 GMC 3500HD, 4x4, 6.5' box, SRW, Denali, Duramax, Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

The hurrier I go the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll)

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
ssthrd wrote:
Little Kopit wrote:
TimnJo wrote:
You might not want to tow your trailer on the Cabot Trail; there's a scary switchback at the bottom of one steep (7%?) descent and plenty of steep ascents and descents throughout, but the scenery is definitely worth a tour.

But that way you won't get to the very north of Cape Breton Island, which is quite special, esp. Meat Cove.

Leave the trailer in Baddeck and do the circle. It's a nice day trip. While in Baddeck take time to enjoy the Alexander Graham Bell museum.

& I'm saying you will miss lots and lots by leaving the trailer or whatever in the south.

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
Little Kopit wrote:
TimnJo wrote:
You might not want to tow your trailer on the Cabot Trail; there's a scary switchback at the bottom of one steep (7%?) descent and plenty of steep ascents and descents throughout, but the scenery is definitely worth a tour.

But that way you won't get to the very north of Cape Breton Island, which is quite special, esp. Meat Cove.

Leave the trailer in Baddeck and do the circle. It's a nice day trip. While in Baddeck take time to enjoy the Alexander Graham Bell museum.
2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2013 Palomino Maverick 2902
2018 GMC 3500HD, 4x4, 6.5' box, SRW, Denali, Duramax, Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

The hurrier I go the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll)

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
TimnJo wrote:

TimnJo
Explorer
Explorer
2010 Carriage Cameo 36FWS
2018 Silverado 3500HD D/A Double Cab Dually LT

daveB110
Explorer
Explorer
Ann Murray is from Springhill, Nova Scotia, and a building dedicated to her career is located there. Would be a good stop if your route can take you there. Not sure if there is something about their coal mining there, they had three major disasters near Springhill. Ann was a great thing for the town, in largely cancelling the problem of those disasters. Her Order of Canada medal was on display when we saw the museum in 2014.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
You might check out The Ovens near Lunenburg. They have a campground right on the water's edge and you can visit the sea caves.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Hank snow was born in Brooklyn Nova Scotia. If you take your time and look around there is much to see. Don't be in a hurry. Take a walk and see Kejimkujik Seaside.

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
You then have to backtrack a bit to get onto PEI. The ferry from Caribou is a shorter route and an experience but not cheap. If you drive all the way to the Confederation bridge it is free to cross onto the island, you only have to pay when leaving

Both the ferry and bridge are free to use when going to PEI. Both charge to leave PEI and yes the ferry is more. Depending on your destination when leaving, the ferry could work out to be no more cost when consider savings on fuel and highway toll.
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
I've lived down in this area since 1978 and used to own land near Lubec, Maine. You see more if you don't take the ferry.

----I have been to Campobello Island many times.
--I've also been to Grand Manan Island. Both very special. There is a ferry connection which takes in those two and Deer Island. You wind up in south shore NB if you take that connection. Check it.

{{{re. bridge from Lubec to Campobello Is, CA border guard told my father of note he'd made in the record for the day: "Admitted one skunk, no questions asked"}}}

Generality. Take some of the older roads. Lots of interesting land and buildings given that this area was settled from 1600s on.

I tend to prefer crossing near Calais. Houlton is all major roads, seeing less.

Sights
******* Fortress of Louisbourg. It is a reconstruction staffed with people in period clothes talking their 18th century jobs.
Fundy Tides
Tidal Bore
Agree on Citadel. Today, Dec. 6, 2017 is the 100th anniversary of the Halifax Explosion when a munitions WWI ship blew up in that harbour killing 2000 and injuring 9,000 more, and flattening much of that city. NS sends Boston a huge Xmas tree every year to say "thank you" for your help in 1917. Much is shown at the Citadel.

Re. Cabot Trail, pretty scenery, but they took out the communities, thus loosing much character. Gros Morne National Park kept the people side of that park, thus IMH0 a much much better national park.

Meat Cove at top of Cape Breton adds more to scenery with people.

Yes, you pay when leaving PEI. ie. take ferry to and Bridge from. Bridge costs less.
Charlottetown is quite historic, used to kids. re. farmer's markets. Charlottetown Farmer's Market, especially on Saturday - take empty tummy and empty freezer to, carry away full happy tummy and full freezer and crafts.
Last time I did PEI beaches I was 15. Thus, great for kids.
& before you go read Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery. Take all of you to the site re. said book, Green Gables House. I think that might well be a doggie site too.
Kids and parents - Orwell Cove Historic Village and neighbouring Sir Andrew MacPhail homestead. Orwell Cove has baby livestock in season. Operational places such as a Blacksmith. Lots of places to walk at both. Meals at MacPhail.

Campling. All gov. sponsored cgs on PEI are good. I prefer the wooded, but kids might like more open with swimming places.

NS cgs. Whycocomagh, 5 Islands and one near Louisbourg Fortress, I've done. Liked. Many like one nearer to start of Cabot Trail.

More, if wanted.

:B

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
I am sure things have changed a little in eight years but you may want to check out our 2010 blog when we visited Atlantic Canada. BTW, if you have the time, Newfoundland was the highlight of that trip and we would suggest you go and enjoy it if you can.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

w4phj
Explorer
Explorer
Recommend crossing at Houlton. Every time I use Calais, I get searched which is typically a 45 minute delay.

A day trip around the Cabot Trail is always a very pleasant trip with great sightseeing.
2021 Winnebago View 24J
2021 Ram pick up
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Ham Radio Extra Class Volunteer Examiner
FAA A&P License

1969 Plymouth Road Runner