cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Summer 2015 Trip Report - Arizona, Colorado & Utah

MPond
Explorer
Explorer
A few of my friends here on the forums reminded me that I didn't post a trip report for our 2015 Summer Trip, and after I got to thinking about it I started flipping through the photos. So I decided to throw together an abridged report... Hope you enjoy!

So our 2015 Summer Trip was different than most of our previous trips... quite a bit shorter (2.5 weeks), and we brought along some friends in a 2nd RV... This was a trip of repeat visits for us, intended to share some of our favorites with our friends.

We started out in Williams Arizona, on our way to the Grand Canyon:

And a quick stop at Bearizona for the kids:

It was an educational stop!

Then on to the Grand Canyon:

After the Grand Canyon we made a quick stopover in Page, AZ for a trip to Lower Antelope Canyon:

From there we headed to Mesa Verde to explore the Clif Dwellings:

Then it was on to the oft-debated US550 / Million Dollar Highway! Our friends in the class C had no problems at all, nor did I in my DP:

Then we spend some time in Ouray, CO exploring the Jeep trails (my LJ, and our friends in a rented JK):

Then we started our trek back west, with a few nights in Moab, UT to explore Canyonlands NP, Arches NP, the Poison Spider Jeep Trail, and do some river rafting:

Then is was the long drive home. But in the midst of a heat-wave, we got stuck on the highway for a couple hours due to accidents on I-15 near the Nevada state line. Then it was time to stop for the night in Las Vegas, NV:

Sorry it wasn't up to my usual standards, but I hope you enjoyed it anyway!
2003 Country Coach Intrigue, Cummins ISL 400
Toad: 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (LJ) toad, with just a few mods...

Other rig: 2005 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax Dually / Next Level 38CK Fifth-wheel Toy Hauler w/ quads, sand rail, etc...
21 REPLIES 21

MPond
Explorer
Explorer
welove2drive wrote:
Thanks for sharing. Love the pictures.
Marcia

Thanks!

I haven't been on this site in a few months, so it was a pleasant surprise to see this thread revived! Work has been consuming every waking moment for the last few months, and any time that hasn't gone toward work has been consumed by family, kids, school, neighborhood, etc...

But now we're looking ahead and starting to plan our Summer-2017 trip, and the thought of getting back out on the open road is bringing me an amazing sense of calm and happiness! It's kinda my Zen...

Other rig: 2005 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax Dually / Next Level 38CK Fifth-wheel Toy Hauler w/ quads, sand rail, etc...

welove2drive
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for sharing. Love the pictures.
Marcia
Dave and Marcia
2019 Ford F350 Dually
2013 Lifestyle LS34SB

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
profdant139 wrote:
Someday, those kids will know how lucky they were to go on this trip -- well done!

++++1

My daughter is now 28 and married. Starting at around 8 years old, we started taking her to national Parks and hiking. Through her teen years, the hiking was an activity filled with grunts, rolled eyes, etc. Now, she told us that her greatest regret growing up was complaining about the hiking. Now when she sees so many places on TV, she can say she's been there; and is very grateful.

So, even when the positive response is not immediate, it is coming. ๐Ÿ™‚

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Someday, those kids will know how lucky they were to go on this trip -- well done!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Busskipper wrote:
Thanks Matt,

My guess is your friends really benefited from your "Experience" and got the best of many trips.

Love the BIKE LANE!

Might steal a few of these to share later.

Thanks,

Bill

Did we get the 2016 report?
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

MPond
Explorer
Explorer
tragusa3 wrote:
500ft? In my story its over 2000'! :B

When we were there, a lady went up with her two kids that were younger than 8, and she wasn't holding hands. The little boy sat on the edge with his feet hanging over. I almost vomited and couldn't watch. I then talked to the Ranger and he said that the arch has claimed its share of tourists.

Sorry for the side conversation. Don't want to taint your post with morbid thoughts.

Yeah - I know what you mean. I've gone out on that arch twice - but in the back of mi mind it scares the $(!# out of me. And my kids aren't allowed anywhere near the edge.

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
500ft? In my story its over 2000'! :B

When we were there, a lady went up with her two kids that were younger than 8, and she wasn't holding hands. The little boy sat on the edge with his feet hanging over. I almost vomited and couldn't watch. I then talked to the Ranger and he said that the arch has claimed its share of tourists.

Sorry for the side conversation. Don't want to taint your post with morbid thoughts.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

MPond
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
Your children are so lucky to have parents like you. Congratulations on a job well done! It's not easy.

Thanks! i don't always get it right, but I keep trying...

On a different note, I just found out that some friends are in Moab this week, and I'm contemplating hitching up and running out there on a whim... My wife thinks I'm nuts!

MPond
Explorer
Explorer
I've read conflicting information about the drop below Mesa Arch, but since you mentioned it I went to the NPS site and looked it up. According to them, it's a 500-foot cliff directly below the arch, and part of a 1,200-foot drop into Buck Canyon.

Needless to say, you'll want to walk VERY carefully for that photo-op!

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
Matt, I remember and appreciate your help when we were planning our 2014 trip to many of the same locations.

Thanks for posting this report! Looks like a great family time. The best kind. ๐Ÿ™‚

You've got more brass than I for standing up on Mesa Arch...for those that don't know, there is quite a drop under that arch.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

bigbullelk
Explorer
Explorer
What an adventure! Thanks for posting up and sharing!

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Your children are so lucky to have parents like you. Congratulations on a job well done! It's not easy.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

MPond
Explorer
Explorer
djgarcia wrote:
Thousand Oaks,
Great pictures of what RVing is all about. Your kids will have some great memories . Thanks for sharing.

2gypsies wrote:
Excellent photos of family fun and great places. You went to our favorites, including the Million Dollar Highway. ๐Ÿ™‚ Your children will have wonderful memories, for sure. Thanks!

Right now, it's all about the kids! I plan these trips to take them places and show them things that the vast majority of people will never see in person. I love that moment when the kids first see something new, their eyes get wide and they stop talking. Like the view of snow-capped Rockies from the top of Engineeer Pass:

Funny thing is, on the way to dinner last night my wife and I were discussing some political topics and my 10-year-old asked if he could comment, and we ended up having a very interesting conversation explaining to him what political parties are, and how none of them are right all the time.

I was explaining to him that some of the proposed changes in CA tax law would prevent us from doing these trips in the future, and that made him very unhappy. Both kids really enjoy these trips.

I know the day will come when they'll be young-adults and have the option of skipping motorhome trips with mom & dad, but I hope they'll choose to join us sometimes...

Note: I'm not inviting any sort of political debate here; it was just the context for my son's reaction to not going on the next trip, which seemed relevant...

MPond
Explorer
Explorer
Busskipper wrote:
Thanks Matt,

My guess is your friends really benefited from your "Experience" and got the best of many trips.

Love the BIKE LANE!

Might steal a few of these to share later.

Thanks,

Bill

Yeah - they seemed to really enjoyed it, and he admitted that it was the kind of thing that he'd wanted to do for some time, but wouldn't never have done on his own. This year didn't work out for them to go again, but we'll get them back out on the road again at some point.

To be honest, the Bike Lane pic isn't mine - someone sent it to me years ago, but I can't remember who. But it's from the 550 and seemed appropriate.