cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tehachapi pass

Barney55
Explorer
Explorer
Hi. I am in Temecula, heading to Bay Area. We have a 31 ft fifth wheel. I was very anxious coming south over grape vine. How is Tehachapi pass going north? Is that a better choice? Thanks for any advice...it's April, weather is fine.
16 REPLIES 16

MarshaNichols
Explorer
Explorer
I am a solo female and was scared silly about the Tehachapi and Grapevine passes...I have a 24' Class C...easy as cake. I just slow down at the grade areas, no accelerator, and tap the brakes a couple of times. I have no fear or hesitation in using either pass!

shakyjay
Explorer II
Explorer II
IAMICHABOD wrote:
shakyjay wrote:
Personally I like 101 as far as Morro Bay. From there to the Bay Area just depends on what you are driving and how comfortable you are. Lots of discussion on this board about that route.

I think there is a bit of confusion here, US HWY 101 does not go into Morro Bay but California State HWY 1 does from a junction at San Louis Obispo and from Morro Bay to the bay area on California STATE HWY 1 is a 2 lane sometimes white knuckle ride for a large vehicle.

US HWY 101 is a dived four lane highway all the way to the bay area.

Some people often confuse the two.

You are right my mistake.
2007 Rockwood 8315SS
2004 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax Diesel
1999 Dodge 1500 5.9L Gas

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
shakyjay wrote:
Personally I like 101 as far as Morro Bay. From there to the Bay Area just depends on what you are driving and how comfortable you are. Lots of discussion on this board about that route.

I think there is a bit of confusion here, US HWY 101 does not go into Morro Bay but California State HWY 1 does from a junction at San Louis Obispo and from Morro Bay to the bay area on California STATE HWY 1 is a 2 lane sometimes white knuckle ride for a large vehicle.

US HWY 101 is a dived four lane highway all the way to the bay area.

Some people often confuse the two.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just to be clear... when others say it is only a two lane road.... what they are referring to is two lanes going each way. Speed limit is 65 (55 for towing) and there are a couple of 55 mph curves. And actually, Tehachapi is just under 4000'.

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

shakyjay
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tehachapi is not bad coming from east to west. It is a steeper climb coming from Bakersfield. The fact that it only reaches 4000 ft can be a little deceiving. Bakersfield is only about 400 ft elevation so it climbs from there to 4000 ft in about 30 miles. It is also traveled heavily by trucks and is only 2 lanes. Again coming from the east it is less of a problem. Coming from the west at times the trucks can be a nuisance. They use what I call the 3 blink rule on the way up. They turn their blinker on and on the third one they are coming over regardless. The CHP tend to work the downhill run from Tehachapi to Bakersfield pretty heavily. At times they will use a plane and have cars sitting at the bottom pulling people over. There is a bit of a strait stretch there where people tend to let their speed build. All in all though it is not too bad just watch your speed on the downhill.

A couple of folks have suggested 101 as an alternative. You can either take it strait through LA or as suggested take 5 up to 126 and across. Time of day will really come into play. Personally I like 101 as far as Morro Bay. From there to the Bay Area just depends on what you are driving and how comfortable you are. Lots of discussion on this board about that route.
2007 Rockwood 8315SS
2004 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax Diesel
1999 Dodge 1500 5.9L Gas

TOOBOLD
Explorer
Explorer
Tehachapi is over 4000', but the grade is easier than the grapevine. The downhill into bakersfield is longer but gradual and only a two lane road with lots of diesel.

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
I guess I've been over too many mountain passes in California because I barely even consider Tehachapi to be much of a pass. He doesn't even reach 4000 feet. It's more of just a hilly road. It stays at a lower elevation than the Grapevine (Tejon Pass) does.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
TucsonJim wrote:
It's not too bad. It's just like any other mountain pass. Don't let your rig overheat. Gear down and pull at a speed your truck likes. Stay in the slow lane unless it's absolutely necessary to pass a really slow vehicle. If you do need to pass, make sure you have plenty of room if you are going at a slower speed. Some of the cars pull the pass at 75-80 mph, so you won't give them a lot of time to react if you change lanes at a slow speed. Hundreds of RVs and big rigs make the climb daily, and you shouldn't have a problem at all.

Jim....the OP is going North, not South. Going from the high desert to Tehachapi is just a minor climb.

OP, From Tehachapi to the valley floor is almost 95% down hill with a couple of short 6% grades. Typically shifting down one or two gears is more than enough to keep your speed down.

As mentioned, 126 to 101 is a good alternative.

Hope this helps

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
As an alternate if going to bay area is to go up 101.

Instead of going over the Grapevine or thru Tehachapi just stay on I 5 to Castaic Junction and take 126 over to the 101.

No long grades to worry about.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

kalynzoo
Explorer
Explorer
The decent on the North is a long downhill. I take that road 4 to six times a year with the MH and car in tow. Just watch and maintain your downhill speed, and do not ride your brakes. I find it comfortable to stay below 50mph and only tap the brakes as I approach or exceed that speed. Trucks are relegated to 35 I think. Truly you shouldn't have a problem.

cekkk
Explorer
Explorer
You don't allow private messages, so I'll just adivse you lay off the brakes on descents and use your gears.
'11 Eagle 320RLDS '02 Ford F350 DRW 7.3 PSD
"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch and do nothing" - Albert Einstein."

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
40 years ago it had it's challenges but in the past 20+ years it's been an easy road to travel.
Kevin

johnrbd
Explorer
Explorer
Smokie likes to hangout in the area - gear down and drives safely, don't want to let speed cause problem (on the down slopes).

jackandh2o
Explorer
Explorer
Barney55, We live in AZ. and have relatives in Bakersfield so I've been over that section many times. Overall it's a pretty good road, surface is much better than the 5/99. There are a couple of good size declines but they are relatively short. I just keep my speed down and have never had an issue. Going eastbound is a little more work because it is a major truck route. Not a bad ride at all.

Ray