cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telcel (América Móvil) looks like the only game in town...

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Guys:

...with Telcel having over 80% of the mobile service business across Mexico, I imagine that their "coverage" for voice and data across the northern Yucatan peninsula (Campeche to Merida to Tulum corridor) is comprehensive?

Also, does anyone here have any recent (over say, the last 1.5 years-ish) interaction buying no-contract, pay-as-you-go phones and credits from Walmart (?) / Costco (?) / Telcel (?) in Mexico?

I'd like to buy a low-cost phone in Mexico, and load it with text and voice credits...data credits would be a bonus.

I have personal phones (3 of them) that will absolutely remain "State-side"

Cheers
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou
15 REPLIES 15

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks qtla9111

I'm looking into it. Seems a few years ago I couldn't install it on any of my phones, because the kick-back "PIN" or code they send to e-mail and/or phones (my land and mobiles) wouldn't arrive LOL

I'll have to attempt this again...

OK....looks like the phone calls can be made VoIP from any phone with an wi-fi capability (just about every phone on the market has wi-fi these days). So, no local "cell" SIM needed (IF one wishes to make IP calls only)....
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Mapa cobertura Movistar

One of Slim's biggest competitors MOVISTAR

http://www.movistar.com.mx/descubre/mas/cobertura

We had excellent use of Moviestar in Argentina/Chile for voice only and a locally purchased phone for $20.

Moviestar was terrible in Mexico - using my Moto G4 USA phone and a Moviestar SIM card with a data package.
We bought a Telcel SIM card and data package and everything worked properly.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
“The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Heard rumors about 5G and voice/image combinations. Interesting.

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
Last year I switched from Movistar to Telcel. Best thing I ever did. I can use it anywhere. Put it in roaming in South America and it works great.

Whatsapp you can message anyone in the world that has Whatsapp. Great way to communicate. 200 pesos a month unlimited calls.

Package 200 pesos:

Scroll to find the package you want. 200 pesos is best.

Telcel Amigo Packages
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

Talleyho69
Hard to beat it especially for free!! We used it in the states, too.

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
Talley wrote:
Whatsapp

...LOL...I'm corresponding with a few contacts in Yucatan, and Whatsapp is just about universally used across Mexico these days.
Silver

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
Tequila wrote:
I used my Telcel in both Greece & Italy over the last 2 years. Much cheaper than my Canadian one

...yeah; I was looking through Telcel's international Europa Preferente travelers plans. These are interesting for sure.
Silver

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the info guys!

Mex: ...I'll be using the phone on the move, so yagi would be out of scope (maybe a short-range pocket-sized multipolarized pyramid for the city?). Movi is interesting, and has good coverage where I need it; a good alternative. Thanks.

I've decided to bring down a used unlocked phone I'll buy NOB...I found the cost range for bargain-basement phones a bit pricey across the various Mex carriers and vendedores.

Cheers-
Silver

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
I used my Telcel in both Greece & Italy over the last 2 years. Much cheaper than my Canadian one.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
There are thousands of telc byel stores. In most tourist areas you can find one where they speak English. Smart phones are available starting at around 1600 p. If you just want a simcard your phone must be unlocked. Payas you go is easy.

Moisheh

Talleyho69
We don't have those kiosks here. TelCel or Movistar just use their SIM card in any phone from anywhere, add money as you go. That can be done almost anywhere.

Download Whatsapp and you message and talk for free. It's incredibly simple.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
PLUG N PLAY

This WI-FI transceptor has taken many of my cellulars from no connection to 5 bars. I also have a tubular YAGI that 5-bars modems in a house a quarter mile distant. But the little screw on antenna the 12 db model works great. This has the most powerful transmitter on the market.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0035APGP6?tag=amz-mkt-fox-us-20&ascsubtag=1ba00-01000-org00-win70-dsk00-n...

I use Wi-Fi WhatsApp 100 to 1 over Tel Cel messaging

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Mapa cobertura Movistar

One of Slim's biggest competitors MOVISTAR

http://www.movistar.com.mx/descubre/mas/cobertura

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, Talley.

I prefer to acquire a phone in Mexico. Similar to a cheap $60 Samsung Luna (as sold through Walmart, for example) pay as you go, and load it up with credits.

Has anyone seen the pay-as-you-go phone buy kiosks in Mexico, with an array of cheap phone choices?
Silver