cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tell us your RV Unfriendly Communities

icanon
Explorer
Explorer
I came across this website and there was a blog written about RV unfriendly Communities.
So it got me thinking have others experience places that are RV unfriendly such as towns, cities, parks etc.?
If so, tell us your stories of what you experienced.

Love to hear them.
Loving wife and 2 beautiful daughters.
Chocolate Lab, Lily
2014 Dodge Ram Laramie Hemi 5.7 with 3.92
2014 Dutchmen Kodiak 290BHSL
ProPride 3P Hitch
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C
Love my Weber Q1200
Me a Happy man on retirement!!!
31 REPLIES 31

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
HOAs are basically "ladders up" organizations. This term comes from the practice of finally getting aboard a ship and pulling the ladders up so no one else can board. People move to an ideal community and in order to keep people from moving there and "ruining" it, form a home owner's association and the first thing they do is pass rules that the current residents agree to that restricts the freedoms of the residents to the point where only "like minded" people will move there.

There are towns on Long Island (Floral Park is one) where you cannot park a commercial vehicle (i.e. a pickup) in YOUR DRIVEWAY.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
It is not only HOA. Counties can and do dictate RV/boat parking. Our home county restricts RV in front of the house to 24 hours. At all other times it has to be rearward of the front plane of the house. Same with boats.

In some other areas no RV parking of any type is allowed.

These are county ordinance, not HOA rules.

Oh yeah there were also restrictions on how long your grass could be. These were vigorously enforced.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

icanon
Explorer
Explorer
Are people here finding restrictions as to where to park if going to say a resturant, shop or just visit a place of interest while on route to your destination?
Chocolate Lab, Lily
ProPride 3P Hitch
Love my Weber Q1200

icanon
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks
HOA=Homeowner's Association.

I don't think we got them here but we got the city councillors that passes some of those ridicules bylaws!
Chocolate Lab, Lily
ProPride 3P Hitch
Love my Weber Q1200

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are many cities/towns here in Colorado (not just Gunnison, as noted on that website), that have restrictions on RV parking.

In Fort Collins, one can only park at your residence on the street for 24hours for loading/unloading; in Loveland, it's 48hours. In certain neighbourhoods, HOA covenants won't allow any RV/Trailer/Motorhome to be visible at all, so no parking on your property or in the driveway; one can only load/unload and only for 24hours. Some require that said vehicles be enclosed in a fenced area, with a limited view of the RV/Trailer/Motorhome.

In Fort Collins, municipal ordinance forbids overnight parking at WalMarts and other locations favoured by RV'ers. And it's enforced. Loveland is not as restrictive, and the WalMarts here become very popular, and sometimes crowded with RV parkers.

The above is also true, to varying degrees, in Boulder as well as the Denver Metro area, each city having their own variations on the laws indicated above. In many areas, it's the HOA rules that prevail, and some of the Denver suburbs have some of the most restrictive HOA covenants in the country.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
icanon wrote:
bukhrn wrote:
And this is exactly why I choose to live where there are no HOA's, I keep mine in my driveway.
My property is MINE, and my neighbors is HIS.

Feel a little embarrassed but what is HOA's?
You obviously live in the country too, HOA is Home Owners Association, where the rest of the people in your neighborhood get to tell you what you can & can't do on your own property.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
icanon wrote:
bukhrn wrote:
And this is exactly why I choose to live where there are no HOA's, I keep mine in my driveway.

HOA = Homeowner's Association. Many cities/towns have neighbourhoods with very restricted covenants, regarding colour of your house, whether you can/cannot park an RV, number of shrubs/trees you're allowed, and whether you can or cannot fly an American Flag (there are some that TRY to prevent that).
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

icanon
Explorer
Explorer
bukhrn wrote:

Chocolate Lab, Lily
ProPride 3P Hitch
Love my Weber Q1200

icanon
Explorer
Explorer
Same here we are allowed to park in our driveway as long as the distance between street to trailer is minimun of 9ft. That is for trailers only.
Chocolate Lab, Lily
ProPride 3P Hitch
Love my Weber Q1200

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
I used to live in a Chicago suburb that prohibited all overnight street parking, though you could phone in temporary exemption. Part of the reasoning was to facilitate street sweeping and plowing. And most houses had garages facing an alley. I was able to store a 20' sailboat on a pad next to the garage, but a larger RV would have been impossible to maneuver in the available space.

40' DP and 5th wheelers are creatures of suburban sprawl.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
We live in a small town. There are restrictions about parking on the streets for long periods but, we can park and store any RV in our yard or driveway.

I feel that is reasonable.

haddy1
Explorer
Explorer

An HOA is not the OP's problem. It's the city. Unless you live out in the country, it can happen to you as well.
2019 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH
2018 Grand Cherokee Toad

icanon
Explorer
Explorer
Dog Folks wrote:
icanon wrote:
I came across this website and there was a blog written about RV unfriendly Communities.
So it got me thinking have others experience places that are RV unfriendly such as towns, cities, parks etc.?

Love to hear them.

I would be careful using this site. There is information that I personally know is wrong and has been wrong for more than four years.

I would not trust them.

Thanks for heads up. But still I'm sure there are plenty horror stories about "RV Unfriendly Communities" like the one above.
Chocolate Lab, Lily
ProPride 3P Hitch
Love my Weber Q1200

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
icanon wrote:

Love to hear them.

I would be careful using this site. There is information that I personally know is wrong and has been wrong for more than four years.

I would not trust them.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
colliehauler wrote:
the bear II wrote:
My wife and I basically grew up in the town we live in. Once we married we decided to stay in the same town, that was 41 years ago. We have always had an RV but never keep it at our house unless we are working on it or loading unloading. A few years ago due to complaints about RVs parked in a neighborhood in another part of town with narrow streets, the city passed an ordinance restricting over sized vehicles from parking overnight on residential streets. This included RVs. In order to get a permit to park your RV on the street for up to 72 hours. You first must pay a fee to register your RV with the city, then pay a fee for each permit. You are only allowed a small number of permits each year.

In turn, the RV Storage Facilities in the area raised the rates for RVs because they now had a captive audience. Our fee has gone from $200 to $327 per month in the 3 years since the ordinance was passed. We were the first customer to sign up to store at this facility when it was built.

As longtime residents and customers, we feel cheated by the city and the storage facility.
Wow $327 per month! My covered storage went up to $55 per month this year.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund