Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Reef RV Park Puerto Peñasco 2014

mexicoruss
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hola all,

I have been hearing rumors in the RV Community that the Reef RV Park is closed. At least for this year 2014 it is OPEN. I talked to the owner last week at a ceremony here in town and he said that they are staying open at least until Dec 31st 2014 then will play it month to month. This is not due to a lack of business, it is due to the fact that the Mexican Federal Government is helping the State of Sonora and the City of Puerto Peñasco build a new cruise port, that will become the only Home Port from San Diego to Venezuela. This Home Port crosses paths with the Reef RV Park and so it will be closed and moved to another location.
If you haven't visited us down here a whole hour south of the border, you should make plans now this place is changing fast.
FYI
Russ Black
011-521-638-113-4591 Cell Phone
Puerto Penasco, Sonora
10 REPLIES 10

rocmoc
Explorer
Explorer
Not what I am looking at camping next to!

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico
rocmoc n Great SouthWest USA

marcsbigfoot20b
Explorer
Explorer

marcsbigfoot20b
Explorer
Explorer
Just got back today, pics from yesterday.

daveB110
Explorer
Explorer
Yes things change. How about the view? Now you can gaze fondly on the long, pile of rocks strung out a quarter of a mile into the Gulfo, maybe double that by now. It's all a matter of point of view, you may like it, or not. The rock is there for the unforeseen few future centuries now. Perhaps there is a beach somewhere to the south of the Rock, and away from the madding crowd-and any cruise ships that would no longer rock your world, in a future, new RV park. Much like the old and soon to be lamented Reef RV!

marcsbigfoot20b
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going down next week. I'll try and bring my rc helicopter and gopro cam and get some shots of the new pier.

Shore fishing? On the beach it has never been good. Too shallow. I snorkel out 1/4 mile from the beach and have never seen a fish over 24 inches......besides dolphins.

mexicoruss
Explorer II
Explorer II
What did you hear that was different? You are right things change, but I am already booking into the park for next season with a group. I live permanently here in a house roughly 10 minutes from the Reef RV park, if I hear anything concrete I will be sure to post but we are acting as though they will be open next season.
Russ Black
011-521-638-113-4591 Cell Phone
Puerto Penasco, Sonora

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
What the OP said is not what we heard while we were in PP in March. As with everything in Mexico, things change and we won't know what is going to happen until it does.

Fishing was fine and the noise is of no concern

rocmoc
Explorer
Explorer
What I really would like to find is a location like the Reef before the development and especially now with a cruise ship in town. Maybe Gonzaga Bay, South of San Felipe? We are going down in Sept for our first trip to swim with the whale sharks, kayak & play off-road. BUT would be nice to find a location East of Rocky Point.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico
rocmoc n Great SouthWest USA

1oseph
Explorer
Explorer
Good question Sue and Bill !
Where would the new location be ?

Sue_and_Bill
Explorer
Explorer
How is the Reef, now that construction of the cruise ship terminal is underway? I mean, has that destroyed the shore fishing, and is the construction noise very invasive?

Do you have any idea where the Reef will move if it closes after December 2014?