cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Things to visit on the return trip from Alaska

DocData3D
Explorer
Explorer
We are going to Alaska leaving Jun 1st 2014 and will stop at the Grand Tetons, Yellowstone and Glacier National on the way there. We have most of our time in Alaska mapped out with plenty of room for flexibility. Now, I am looking for sites to visit on the return trip.

We are from and returning to NE Florida. We've been to Devils Tower, the Black Hills and the Bad Lands in 09. We may stop there again but it is not important. We thought a stop at the DRV factory in Howe, IN for a tour would be nice (we have a DRV although we are using a smaller TT for this trip).

So any suggestions of things worth seeing in states like Wisconsin, Minnesota, Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, etc, etc. would be appreciated!

We're going to make a run through the southern states in 2015 to CA so that will be the subject of a future post.

Thanks
Dave
18 REPLIES 18

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Come east on hwy 2. Soo locks. Macinack Island. If timed right, Oskosh Air Adventure. A bluegrass festival somewhere. Corvette plant. No shortage of things to see & do.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

dalton4
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with colliehauler on visiting the Harold Warp Pioneer Village in Minden, NE. It will take all day to go through this museum. There are 26 buildings of displays as I remember. I was totally surprised at the number of antique cars, farm tractors ( iron wheel monsters)and too much to try listing here. If you like things of yesterday ... you should love this place.
2006, Winnebago 24
2010 Subaru Forester,Demco equipped with BB.

RangerJay
Explorer
Explorer
This is maybe a little out in left field - but when we are returning home from any major road trip we are pretty much "sceneried out" and looking for a change of pace. Branson, Missouri should not be far off your route back home to Florida. We've been able to work Branson in at the end of a couple of road trips and found it a great place to finish off any trip - kind of like the icing on the cake. You'll need at least 3 days - 5 is better and 7 really lets you recharge your batteries .....

Jay
2002 Bambi 19' - the "Toaster"
2009 Nissan Pathfinder - the "Buggy"

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
If you didn't stop at Liard Hot Springs Provincial Park in BC on your way to Alaska, you should check it out. If Ohio isn't to far out of your way, the Air Force Museum at the Wright Patterson AFB, near Dayton is well worth a visit. We spent 2 days there.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

lonnie4801
Explorer
Explorer
We have driven a lot of side roads but one of the best has been the "Silver Trail" in Yukon.

If going through BC, "Hell's Gate" on Frazier River on Trans Canada 1 is sure worth the look. Ride the tram down to the salmon runs.

If going through Edmonton, AB, I sure second a visit to the "West Edmonton Mall". It is a destination location for many travelers. We spent about 5 hours there. Also in Edmonton is the "Fort Edmonton Park", another 5 hour visit, and the "Muttart Conservatory", 3 to 4 hours. Then there is Legislative Building built in the early 1900's. Tours are provided.
2007 HR Ambassador 40'
2015 Colorado Z71 4x4 Crew Cab
West Texas, Retired

Fulltimers. No more grass to cut, no more leaves to rake, and can move if we don't like our neighbors.

Have driven or camped in 49 states. Have camped in all Provinces in Canada.

pasco1215
Explorer
Explorer
Amana Colonies in Iowa. We stopped there 2 days and found the history and village to be very interesting.
HAPPY RVing! :W
2007 TIFFIN ALLEGRO BUS "R RV"
2004 Saturn SUV "R VUE"
Our Co-Pilot "PASCO" the pearl white schnauzer

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
If going through Nebraska I would stop at Pioneer Viliage, takes about a day to see and has a RV campground behind the motel.

Stranger
Explorer
Explorer
Hawaii
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving
safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting "Wow, what a ride!".
2012 Mesa Ridge 345RLS
2002 RAM 3500

Tee_Jay
Explorer
Explorer
The Museum in Cody, WY. Buffalo Bill, firearms, plains Indians, Geology, Western Art.

Icefields Parkway between Jasper and Banff.

Crazy Horse in SD.

Theodore Roosevelt South Unit in ND.

Be aware that a lot of the mountain west does not really open until July due to snow. The highway to Alaska is good Mid May to October.

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a dyed-in-the-wool believer that it's hard to beat Alaska's scenery...but...

I would strongly suggest taking lots of time in Canada....same sort of locale/scenery/ambience as you'll find in Alaska. Western BC and the Kluane area shouldn't be missed.

Would agree with an earlier post: Minimize your time in Yellowstone and other Continental U.S. destinations as those can be done on a different trip. On your trip to the North Country, take the time to enjoy the North Country.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

wanderingdawgs
Explorer
Explorer
We stopped at the Spam Museum on the way to Alaska in 2013!

We traveled west on I-90 and crossed into Alberta north of Great Falls, Montana. We stopped at Banff and Jasper on our way north. On our return trip we went south on the Cassier Highway and crossed back into the states in Oroville, Washington. We were anxious to return home but we are so glad we took the time to stop in Loveland, Colorado for a visit to Rocky Mountain National Park.

We didn't decide on the way we were going home until we were in Washington State.

Check out our blog at WanderingDawgs.com to read about our Alaska adventure, see maps of our route, and a list of campgrounds where we stayed.

PM me if you have questions. You will have the trip of a lifetime!
Beth and Henry
2005 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD/CC/DA
2006 Titanium 29E34TS
wanderingdawgs.com

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Personally, we wouldn't spend a lot of time siteseeing in the lower 48 on the way up to Alaska such as Yellowstone, etc. Save the major siteseeing on your way up for Canada, Yukon and Alaska - places you probably won't go often.

Then on your return, hit the lower 48 sites. You may find the weather better in late Aug/Sept and crowds lighter. Plus, you may be exhausted from the Alaska trip and just want to head home. You can easily spend three months once you cross into Canada.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Alfred622
Explorer
Explorer
Murphsmom wrote:
And for heaven's sake...don't forget the Spam Museum in Austin MN!

Actually, I agree with this! We have taken out-of-town visitors to the Spam museum and they have loved it! You can also get specialty flavors of Spam there not available anywhere else in the country! It is actually a well-done museum!

Then, if you're in Minnesota, head north. You should visit Paul Bunyon and Babe the Blue Ox in Brainard, MN. Then, head over to Itasca State Park and spend a day there hiking. You can walk across the headwaters of the Mississippi River, take a boat tour on the lake that sources the Mississippi, or rent some bicycles and ride trails along the river.

If you're in South Western Minnesota, check out the Pipestone National Monument. There is a very soft red rock, Pipestone, that native americans used to carve peace pipes, turtles, and other items. We totally enjoyed the ranger programs there and it was a real teat to visit with the artists that dig the pipestone and then sculpt it. (A cool thing happened....we were visiting with an artist and admiring his work - he was just as nice as could be - talked about capturing the essence of a persons spirit... then, later, the ranger told us this artist was leaving tomorrow to be recognized by the Smithsonian Museum for his talent!)

Enjoy your trip! Sounds like it will be a great lifetime memory!
Alfred
2005 Sightseer with Workhorse, ReadyBrute Elite towing 2003 Honda CRV
Map below shows states where we actually camped.....

joe_b_
Explorer
Explorer
Just a few odds and ends to add. If you didn't stop at Fort Steele in BC on the way north, it is worth a half day to visit. It is a restored RCMP fort and they have done a most amazing job of restoring the place. If you are on the east side of the hills, in Alberta, a stop at the Edmonton Mall is fun as is the Dino museum in Drumheller, AB. One trip we stopped there, planning to stay a few hours and ended up being there for about 3 days.

Getting back into the US, the town of Medora and the T. Roosevelt NP area are worth a couple of days. This past summer we spent some time around Wind Cave NP and Mount Rushmore on our way to Colorado from Florida. When our daughters were young and we were traveling round trip out of Alaska, they each got to pick one major stop, so one summer we hit the San Diego Zoo, Cheyenne Mountain Zoo in the Springs, the Oklahoma City Zoo and the Zoo in Edmonton, AB.

On our trips to Alaska, which we try to do every two or three years, we keep a notebook of places we wish to return to on future trips the alternate summers. I go to northern Canada and Alaska to spend time in those places, not along the way. Along the way we go back to visit.

Waterton NP in Canada, that we share a common boundary with our Glacier NP is fun. To stop in at the Prince of Wales Hotel in the afternoon, for tea and to listen to live chamber music, life just doesn't get much better. But since I grew up on a ranch in southern Oklahoma, I tend to be somewhat cultured and couth. Beings that part of Oklahoma is the cultural heart of the country. The Hotel is one of the old ones built by the railroad and it is grand, to say the least. Nice campground there on the lake, that can get a bit windy in the late afternoons, so put the awning up if you are leaving to do some sightseeing.

The Dino museum in Vernal Utah is another great place to visit for a few days. One of my daughters taught me to appreciate dinosaurs, I guess.
One direction or the other, stop at Yoho NP in BC, and drive up to the falls just out of the town of Fields, BC. Another breath taking wonder of nature. Never can remember how to spell the name of the falls so won't try.

one of the grandest stops we made this past summer was to spend the day in St. Louis at the City Museum. It is a happening, part theme park, part museum, just a great experience. The person that envisioned that place was a genius in my opinion.
joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2016 Fleetwood Flair 31 B Class A w/bunks
www.picturetrail.com/jbpacooper
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".