cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thru St. Louis this Friday

Andy_F
Explorer
Explorer
Hi. We received some great pointers on driving thru Atlanta on another thread. I am wondering now about getting thru St. Louis after rush hour this Friday. We'll be headed w/b on I-64 out of Illinois headed towards Hwy 61 n/b to Iowa on the nw side of town. We'd like to get a good view of the Arch as we pass over the river and thru town.
Andy
2018 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 36LA
2012 Keystone Bullet 281BHS-Sold
2008 Toyota Sequoia-Sold
ProPride 3P - what a hitch!-Sold

Nights camped in 2017=42
Nights camped in 2018=32
Nights camper in 2019=30
Nights camped in 2020=17
4 REPLIES 4

ddndoug
Explorer
Explorer
Andy - If you go I-64 you will get a great view of the Arch also, but for picture taking opportunities you are so close to it that it's hard to fit the entire thing into the shot.

Safe travels!

Doug
2009 Four Winds Hurricane 33T
F53 Ford Chassis w/Triton V-10

Andy_F
Explorer
Explorer
ddndoug wrote:
What time will you be headed through, rush hour usually lasts until about 6 pm on Fridays.

You really have two choices:

1) IMHO the better view of the arch is to take I-64 to I-70 just before you cross the Mississippi River and take the new Stan Musial/Veterans Memorial Bridge. It's a beautiful bridge with a great view of the Arch. But that's about as far is it goes with the "nice scenery" until you get out to the NW side of I-70. Lots of depressed and abandoned building along the way in St Louis proper.

2) If you take I-64 all the way through StL, you will have a lot more pleasant scenery. Not only will you have the Arch you will also have the Cardinals Busch Stadium, StL Science Center, James McDonnell Planetarium, Union Station (albeit the back side of it), and Forest Park which houses the StL Zoo (actually larger than Central Park in NY) to name a few. You can take I-64 all the way to connect
to 61.

To give you the best impression of St Louis and truly the best all around scenery I would recommend taking I-64 all the way thru town hands down.

Doug

Thanks Doug! I appreciate the guidance. We will stick to I-64 I think. I'm watching the weather.

Andy
Andy
2018 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 36LA
2012 Keystone Bullet 281BHS-Sold
2008 Toyota Sequoia-Sold
ProPride 3P - what a hitch!-Sold

Nights camped in 2017=42
Nights camped in 2018=32
Nights camper in 2019=30
Nights camped in 2020=17

ddndoug
Explorer
Explorer
P. S. FYI- I believe they are calling for rain on Friday for StL.

Doug

ddndoug
Explorer
Explorer
What time will you be headed through, rush hour usually lasts until about 6 pm on Fridays.

You really have two choices:

1) IMHO the better view of the arch is to take I-64 to I-70 just before you cross the Mississippi River and take the new Stan Musial/Veterans Memorial Bridge. It's a beautiful bridge with a great view of the Arch. But that's about as far is it goes with the "nice scenery" until you get out to the NW side of I-70. Lots of depressed and abandoned building along the way in St Louis proper.

2) If you take I-64 all the way through StL, you will have a lot more pleasant scenery. Not only will you have the Arch you will also have the Cardinals Busch Stadium, StL Science Center, James McDonnell Planetarium, Union Station (albeit the back side of it), and Forest Park which houses the StL Zoo (actually larger than Central Park in NY) to name a few. You can take I-64 all the way to connect
to 61.

To give you the best impression of St Louis and truly the best all around scenery I would recommend taking I-64 all the way thru town hands down.

Doug