cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ticketed By Policia Federal

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
A week and a half ago I was driving from a small town about 25 kms from our house. This is the winding part of Hwy 85 north of Linares, NL. I drive it several times a week and like others I speed. I was clocked at 120 kms in an 80 km zone. Sounds like a lot but I was keeping with traffic.

There have been speed traps there for the last six weeks and as the weeks go by they get better at hiding. Guilty as charged, the officer approached my car, I shook hands and greeted him. He asked for my driver's license and registration. Our vehicles are Mexican with Mexican plates and insurance. Never a hint of a mordida, probably because all my papers are in order including insurance.

He quickly said, "give me five minutes while I write this up". This isn't about mordida, but about the cost of the ticket. Many times I have heard that people who were stopped were asked to pay 2000 to 4000 pesos for a ticket.

The fine on Mexican highways for speeding is the same no matter what the number of kms over the speed limit you are clocked at. The charge was in minimum wages. 60 minimum wages to be exact. 4085 pesos, with two 25% discounts if paid at Banco Bancomer and paid within 15 working days. Final bill, 2365.88.

Not proud of my bill but the point is, when they give those supposedly exaggerated numbers to pay, they're not kidding. They really mean it.

I have since dropped my speed down to 100 kms and keep an eye out. There is a new app available in Mexico that keeps you posted on their whereabouts if that is important to you. I wasn't trying to avoid the cops, I just got used to driving at that speed since we all do in this area.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog
5 REPLIES 5

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
I don't speed so I don't care what law enforcement does. I drive relaxed also....Life is good.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

Wm_Elliot
Explorer
Explorer
Posted speed limits in Mexico are ridiculously low. All drivers greatly exceed the posted speed limit on a daily basis which makes all drivers subject to arrest.
It's been my experience that Federal Police don't enforce speed all that much. I hate to see that change - in cities and towns speed enforcement is done for safety while rural (open road) speed enforcement is centered on revenue.
I've seen the same thing happen in Quebec; a culture that accepted fast driving will change with enough threat of penalty.
It's too bad; creeping along a multi lane highway at 36 miles per hour isn't my idea of fun.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
qtla9111 wrote:
djgarcia wrote:
qtla9111 wrote:
A week and a half ago I was driving from a small town about 25 kms from our house. This is the winding part of Hwy 85 north of Linares, NL. I drive it several times a week and like others I speed. I was clocked at 120 kms in an 80 km zone. Sounds like a lot but I was keeping with traffic.

The fine on Mexican highways for speeding is the same no matter what the number of kms over the speed limit you are clocked at. The charge was in minimum wages. 60 minimum wages to be exact. 4085 pesos, with two 25% discounts if paid at Banco Bancomer and paid within 15 working days. Final bill, 2365.88.
Are they using Radar to clock you?

Yes they are. All federales have radar.

I won't drive unless I have My Valentine Rader on, especially in Calif.

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
djgarcia wrote:
qtla9111 wrote:

Yes they are. All federales have radar.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
qtla9111 wrote: