cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

To Toll Or Not To Toll, That Is The Question

bluegypsy
Explorer
Explorer
In 5.9 years of full-timing we've never had to worry about tolls (mostly been west of the Miss). Now we're in the New England area, and many (if not most) of the major interstates are at least partially toll.
Since we're not in any particular hurry, I was originally going to avoid the toll.....
BUT:
I checked the miles saved, as well as the stop/start traffic on the non-toll versus toll roads, and it seems to me that the fuel savings by taking the toll road offsets (in some cases anyway) the cost of the tolls.

What do others think?
Bluegypsy (that's the RV's name)

Map shows where we've lived and worked, travelling through doesn't count....
11 REPLIES 11

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
If you want to see the coast RT 1 has no tolls.

And has few views of the coast as well.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

jolooote
Explorer
Explorer
Down here in Florida I used to take the Fl. Toll Hyway But no longer can afford it. Since they charge 'Per Axle', If pulling a TOAD the charge is TRIPLE the single TOLL!!!
Joe & Charlotte

2020 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29MV Celestial Blue Full Body Paint E-450 305hp V10 6spd Class C 'COACH'

2012 Jeep Wrangler 285hp V6 'TOAD'

Gabby & Molly are Dogs
Leroy's a Conure, Loretta's a Squeaker

"Once it starts breakin'...GET RID OF IT!!!"

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know where you want to go but I95 has no toll in CT, RI or MA. I91 has no toll in CT, MA or VT. I84 has no toll. If you want to see the coast RT 1 has no tolls.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
For whom does the booth toll? It tolls for thee. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Got all day? Take the slow route? Want to get somewhere in a decent amount of time? Take the toll road. I just depends on what your priorities (and mood) are on a given day.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Pay the tolls. Easier driving, easier places to pull off to get gas, eat, etc. If you get up into my area there are low bridge concerns on some secondary roads. The gas and time you eat trying to go around a few dollars in tolls just isn't worth it.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

BillMFl
Explorer
Explorer
Just completed a trip from Tampa Fl to Maine. 1650 miles dooe to door. Paid very little in tolls. 95/81/78/209/84/ toll free. Newburg NY to Troy on thruway, a few bucks. 7/9 Bennington/Keene/Concord/Manchester almost nothing. Portsmouth to Portland on I95 about $10. Portland to Boothbay nothing. Slow and hilly between Bennington and Concord, but always a slow traffic lane up the steep hills. Avoided the Boston/NY/NJ/Baltimore/Phillly/DC traffic completely. No dead stop or heavy traffic anywhere. Minor slow down on I78 due to construction was not bad on a Sat. Might be very bad on a weekday. I was pushing hard and drove it in three days. I normally take four unless I do some sight seeing or visiting along the way. Had work to do before flying back to Tampa so I averaging a little over 500 miles per day, but never more than the posted speed limits. With rest stops and fuel I usually average about 50mph.
Order is illusion. Chaos is reality. But right or wrong I'm still the captain. ๐Ÿ™‚

Jay_Pat
Explorer
Explorer
Last summer in New England, I paid the tolls. Decided it was cheaper than spending fuel trying to go around an area I didn't know.
Keep plenty of one dollar bills and quarters, handy.
Pat
2010 Ford F-350 SRW
2021 Grand Design Reflection 315

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
In Southern California there are a few toll roads. I use them when towing the 5th wheel mainly because there is a lot less traffic to worry about.

It's a lot more comfortable than the stop & go traffic on the nearby interstate.

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
In New England, at least in Mass,Vermont,Maine,and New Hampshire, lots of the alternative roads are mostly twisty, narrow,hilly and thus, low speed, pay the money and go tolls.

Unless you are driving around for the view, then the secondary roads can be very special.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

artguys
Explorer
Explorer
Best advice...make a decision and feel good about it, then just go do it.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
I live in New England and haven't paid a toll here in years. I do pay leaving NY on the Tappan See ( only one way) but not around hear.