cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Today is a bad day to be driving in West Texas

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
We were going to head east on I-10 today but will wait until tomorrow. It is one of those rare winter days when it is better to be on I-40 than I-10 or I-20. We could go up to US 380 and follow it east to Brownfield, Tx to pick up 87 to 277 to our final destination Del Rio, Tx. However, the weather is good tomorrow and going that way turns a 450 mile drive into a two day 700 mile drive and still puts us through a patch of ice/snow mix winter driving conditions.

Anyway, if you are on the road today and were planning on driving in West Texas just stay put. Even if you are a good winter driver the rest of the drivers on the road will not be. :E
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat
8 REPLIES 8

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
frizzen wrote:

Do not go out on the road. People here don't have a clue how to drive on snow or ice.

Absolutely, for sure, very true, me included!
Snow almost guaranteed every ten years or so. Not a lot of opportunity to practice.

frizzen
Explorer
Explorer
There may be road closures on the west side in the construction areas around Executive and Sunland Park
I need some wild

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
frizzen wrote:
Do not go out on the road. People here don't have a clue how to drive on snow or ice.

🙂 I know we will try to get through El Paso before 0700. We are counting on the bridges being sanded by then and the rush hour to just be starting as we leave town. We generally use Anthony gap and 375 but will try straight through tomorrow since the truck traffic should keep I-10 melted, whereas the gap has less traffic and slightly higher elevations.
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Agreed, memtb. I carry TV and TT chains.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

frizzen
Explorer
Explorer
I need some wild

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Last time I tried to drive in Texas with snow I followed a big bus hoping it would “break trail.” Quit after 10 miles...he/she was driving too fast.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
If one “must” travel in these conditions....this is the reason we have cables for both the tow vehicle and the trailer. It is equally or more important for the trailer to have traction!
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
West Texas winter driving can be tricky due to the icing of the bridges while the general roadways are still OK. I found that when driving a passenger car it is important to maintain a steady throttle when passing over a bridge. When pulling a trailer, however, maintaining a steady throttle may cause the rear end of the tow vehicle to brake loose due to the additional torque being applied for the towed load. In that case I find a very slight reduction of throttle while passing over a bridge keeps things in line.
Currently Between RVs