cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

toll free 15d and Obregon bypass

Canada_Irl
Explorer
Explorer
Can anyone explain why the toll booths are not collecting tolls? Came down 15d today and all toll booths were manned but not operating and people were soliciting donations.

Also note that the Obregon bypass was closed at both ends when we went by about 3pm. Probably has to do with the tolls.

The road through Obregon is under construction and has some nasty dips in it, still doable with an rv, stick to the second lane going south.
2 REPLIES 2

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
By federal statute concessionaire and government toll roads must carry liability insurance and the liability insurance must be in force before they can collect fares.

In the bureaucratic maze finished roads may not collect tolls until a mountain of inspections and paperwork is finished.

Mexicans joke about it. To repair a pothole may take fifty kilograms of asphalt and 51 kilograms of paper. Gotta love the humor.

Talleyho69
If the toll booths were not collecting tolls yet were manned by employees, they have been instructed to just be there and not interfere with the protesters. It's not unusual to hit at least one toll booth that is "occupied" by protesters on the way down from Nogales to Zihuatanejo. We have traveled during times when it seemed like more were occupied than less.

We generally accept any literature that is offered, always smile and look sympathetic, and make a token donation. We have NEVER, in any way, felt intimidated, harassed or in danger in these situations. In March, he was driving the RV by himself, I was following in an SUV with a trailer, both with Mexico plates. The protesters were all extremely nice to me, smiling at his comments and not soliciting donations from me.

I suspect that the protests are taking advantage of the change in power on December 1. There will be a new president then.

Too bad about the Obregon bypass. Hopefully it will reopen in a day or so, or at least before you head north. After talking about it, we suspect that the northern toll booth isn't quite ready yet and you'd have to use the "old, early" way to get on it: Go past the last toll booth heading into Obregon, and drive to the first stop light. It is a ways, and then turn left. It's not marked. Cross the rail road tracks, and when you are sure you've gone too far, the ramp appears that takes you onto the bypass and you are on your way.